What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 R1 Fri - Raiders 24-6 Titans @ GIO

Round 1: Raiders v Titans

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2020 - Round 1
Canberra Raiders v Gold Coast Titans
GIO Stadium Canberra, Bruce (TICKETS)
Friday 13 March 2020

Gates 4:30pm • NRL kickoff 6pm

TL-CAN20.png

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 2. Bailey Simonsson 3. Jarrod Croker 4. Curtis Scott 5. Nick Cotric 6. Jack Wighton 7. George Williams 8. Josh Papalii 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Dunamis Lui 11. Corey Horsburgh 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Joseph Tapine
Interchange: 14. Siliva Havili 15. Emre Guler 16. Iosia Soliola 17. Michael Oldfield 18. Jack Murchie 19. Sam Williams 20. Semi Valemi 21. Tom Starling

TL-GLD20.png

1. Phillip Sami 2. Anthony Don 3. Kallum Watkins 4. Tyrone Peachey 5. Dale Copley 6. Tyrone Roberts 7. Ash Taylor 8. Jarrod Wallace 9. Mitch Rein 10. Sam Lisone 11. Kevin Proctor 12. Bryce Cartwright 13. Jai Arrow
Interchange: 14. Nathan Peats 15. Jai Whitbread 16. Brian Kelly 17. Jaimin Jolliffe 18. Sam Stone 19. Jonus Pearson 20. Moeaki Fotuaika 21. Alexander Brimson

dgfnSr0.jpg

Referees: Chris Sutton, Dave Munro
Sideline Officials: Phil Henderson, Mark Bohan
Video Referees: Ashley Klein, Bryan Norrie

Lower Grades:
BW Sea Eagles v Mounties @ Lottoland
NSWRL Canterbury Cup, Sun 1:55pm
Raiders BYE
NSWRL U20 Jersey Flegg Cup
Burleigh v Wynnum @ Pizzey Park
QRL Intrust Super Cup, Sun 12:10pm AEST (Ch 9)
QRL U20 Hastings Deering Colts, Sun 3:20pm AEST​

Last edited by a moderator:

SBD82

Coach
Everyone I talk to seems to think Canberra is in for a big year.

People are starting to have faith in them to put together two consecutive seasons of excellent football.

Is this the year they finally do it?

f**ked if I know. Every time they come into the season with high expectations they seem to shit the bed. All hoodoos are broken eventually though eh?

Titans by 2.

Valheru

Coach
Everyone I talk to seems to think Canberra is in for a big year.

People are starting to have faith in them to put together two consecutive seasons of excellent football.

Is this the year they finally do it?

f**ked if I know. Every time they come into the season with high expectations they seem to shit the bed. All hoodoos are broken eventually though eh?

Titans by 2.

I do think Canberra will beat the titans but I am not convinced they back up from last year well at all.

First there is the whole inconsistency thing and then there is the roster changes. The roosters have 'come back to the pack' due to losing their half back and strike centre (which is reasonable commentary) but the exact same thing has happened at Canberra with both Sezar and Leilua departing. Add to that Rapana going and Bateman injured for two months and you are looking at a completely new right side.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
But remember in the past those raiders sides had names like "mcrone" in it. This is a little different. Seeing rep players in the backline instead of adrian purtell

SBD82

Coach
I do think Canberra will beat the titans but I am not convinced they back up from last year well at all.

First there is the whole inconsistency thing and then there is the roster changes. The roosters have 'come back to the pack' due to losing their half back and strike centre (which is reasonable commentary) but the exact same thing has happened at Canberra with both Sezar and Leilua departing. Add to that Rapana going and Bateman injured for two months and you are looking at a completely new right side.
Fair point. Although the injuries that Canberra had last year to their centres and wingers meant that they cycled through some right edge players. May help them this year.

What’s Bateman’s injury?

Valheru

Coach
Fair point. Although the injuries that Canberra had last year to their centres and wingers meant that they cycled through some right edge players. May help them this year.

What’s Bateman’s injury?

Yeah true, it will be interesting to see how they handle expectation.

Bateman had shoulder surgery for an 'ongoing issue'.

Due back approx ANZAC day

SBD82

Coach
Yeah true, it will be interesting to see how they handle expectation.

Bateman had shoulder surgery for an 'ongoing issue'.

Due back approx ANZAC day
Wow. Big loss. Pretty much rules out another contender for the April premiership.

Hope we’ve dusted the trophy cabinet.

BadnMean

Juniors
This Raiders roster has a lot more quality in it than past sides who might have had one flash in the pan season, then regressed.

Then again, I thought that after 2016 too.

Then again, 2016 Raiders couldn't tackle & relied on beating teams in a points shootout where we had prime Leipana and you didn't. Advantage us. Until the game changes near semi time...

This Raiders outfit is defence first. Still plenty of strike but they built 2019 on 3 complete shutouts & defensive intensity. That is a better foundation for repeated success.

First round games are usually clunky and Raiders have a brand new right edge. No John Bateman. GC will be up for it but I expect Raiders to be able to find enough quality moments to win by 2 tries.

BadnMean

Juniors

What’s Bateman’s injury?

He spent all last year getting shoulder burners & grabbing at his shoulder. Tried to rehab it off season to avoid surgery, but it wouldn't go away even with that. So he's had late surgery & when they went in it wasn't quite the simple clean out they hoped. So yeah, he'll miss at least the first month. Week by week after that.

SBD82

Coach
He spent all last year getting shoulder burners & grabbing at his shoulder. Tried to rehab it off season to avoid surgery, but it wouldn't go away even with that. So he's had late surgery & when they went in it wasn't quite the simple clean out they hoped. So yeah, he'll miss at least the first month. Week by week after that.
Big loss.

Titans by 8.

Latest posts