What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ratings

Meth

Staff member
Give the squad a mark out of 10 for their season. Let's limit it to those who played 5 games or more, unless there's a notable exception

Adam Pompey. 5.5. Saved a bad performance until last and has obvious limitations with his speed. However he filled in admirably and surprisingly and probably got a bit better as he spent more time on that wing spot.

Chanel Harris Tavita. 5.5. Had a couple of break out games. Also had a few games when he looked a bit lost and overawed by his new role. Easy to forget that he's still so young.

David Fusitu'a. 3. All of the potential in the world, but this guy's star is on the wane. 2018 seems like so long ago. To be honest, I'm not sure we missed him

Gerard Beale. 5. Filled in well enough when we needed him to. Haere Ra.

Hayze Perham. 5.5. Took advantage of an opportunity at centre. Started to trail off a little bit in the last couples of games in my opinion.

Ken Maumalo. 5.5. Looking forward to having him back. We definitely missed him.

Kodi Nikorima 6. A couple of great games and mostly steady. The team looks great when he's running.

Patrick Herbert. 6. Sure, a few shockers. But he was playing out of position. He's a centre who was conscripted onto the wing. I'd like us to resign him.

Peta Hiku. 7.5 More diamonds than rocks in 2020.

Roger Tuivasa Sheck. 7 Might seem like a tough grade, but its relative to his potential and his past performances. Wasn't at his best this year, although he definitely got going towards the end of the season. Inspirational and deserves credit for his sacrifices and for leading the team through a nightmare of a season. Leading while bleeding.

Adam Blair. 6.5 Played good football, particularly coming off the bench. Like RTS, deserves credit for his off field work.

Agnatius Paasi 5.5 Season didn't really start before it ended, Looked good in a handful of performances.

Eliesa Katoa 6.5 Was a revelation at the beginning the year and then again last night. Went off the boil a bit IMO. Might have been missing Green or missing home or just a bit lazy. I don't know. Enormous potential and a great find for the club.

Isaiah Papali'i 5.5 Played better than he got credit for around here, but still a fringe first grader.

Jack Murchie 6.5 A bit of a liability at times. A huge asset at others. Took his chances and stood out.

Jamayne Taunoa Brown 6.5 Played some good football and then had some lean form. In many ways, a parallel to Katoa. Exciting prospect too.

Jazz Tevaga 7. I still can't quite figure him out, but there's no denying his work rate. Again, it all comes down to his control and discipline. He walks a fine line and when he gets it right, it's tremendous.

Karl Lawton 6 Impressive versatility, filling it out wide. At times, I really thought we looked enterprising with him at hooker. But as time went on, I was less convinced.

King Vuniyayawa 5 A bit of a break out season of sorts. Shame it had to end abruptly. Could have had a few more games than he had IMO

Lachlan Burr 5.5 Impressive towards the end of the season. I like him in our squad, but he hardly commands a place.

Tohu Harris 9 Player of the year. Easily.

Wayde Egan 7 Got better towards the back end of the season as he started playing more direct and engaging defenders out of dummy half.

Loaners
Hetherington 6.5 A lot of potential but lived up to his reputation for being a hothead.
Alvaro 6.5 Did the job.
Jennings. 6.5. Shame his last game was a nightmare of a performance, but he exceeded my expectations.

Payten 10 Did more than you could reasonably expect a caretaker coach to do under these circumstances.

Best match- Round 16 v the Knights
Worst match- Round 7 v the Storm

gUt

Coach
Warriors club and team in general? 10/10 for what they sacrificed to keep the NRL going. I hope your club can feed off the vibes and goodwill from players/staff/fans of all the other clubs. Also there's no question youse performed far above what was reasonably expected of you so that should be a good launchpad into 2021 and beyond.

Meth

Staff member
Warriors club and team in general? 10/10 for what they sacrificed to keep the NRL going. I hope your club can feed off the vibes and goodwill from players/staff/fans of all the other clubs. Also there's no question youse performed far above what was reasonably expected of you so that should be a good launchpad into 2021 and beyond.

That's kind of you to say.

I think the 10/10 is owing to the players and staff who have been stuck over in Australia.

I think the club (the office) is not so deserving

Blair

Coach
Give the squad a mark out of 10 for their season. Let's limit it to those who played 5 games or more, unless there's a notable exception

Adam Pompey. 5.5. Saved a bad performance until last and has obvious limitations with his speed. However he filled in admirably and surprisingly and probably got a bit better as he spent more time on that wing spot.

Chanel Harris Tavita. 5.5. Had a couple of break out games. Also had a few games when he looked a bit lost and overawed by his new role. Easy to forget that he's still so young.

David Fusitu'a. 3. All of the potential in the world, but this guy's star is on the wane. 2018 seems like so long ago. To be honest, I'm not sure we missed him

Gerard Beale. 5. Filled in well enough when we needed him to. Haere Ra.

Hayze Perham. 5.5. Took advantage of an opportunity at centre. Started to trail off a little bit in the last couples of games in my opinion.

Ken Maumalo. 5.5. Looking forward to having him back. We definitely missed him.

Kodi Nikorima 6. A couple of great games and mostly steady. The team looks great when he's running.

Patrick Herbert. 6. Sure, a few shockers. But he was playing out of position. He's a centre who was conscripted onto the wing. I'd like us to resign him.

Peta Hiku. 7.5 More diamonds than rocks in 2020.

Roger Tuivasa Sheck. 7 Might seem like a tough grade, but its relative to his potential and his past performances. Wasn't at his best this year, although he definitely got going towards the end of the season. Inspirational and deserves credit for his sacrifices and for leading the team through a nightmare of a season. Leading while bleeding.

Adam Blair. 6.5 Played good football, particularly coming off the bench. Like RTS, deserves credit for his off field work.

Agnatius Paasi 5.5 Season didn't really start before it ended, Looked good in a handful of performances.

Eliesa Katoa 6.5 Was a revelation at the beginning the year and then again last night. Went off the boil a bit IMO. Might have been missing Green or missing home or just a bit lazy. I don't know. Enormous potential and a great find for the club.

Isaiah Papali'i 5.5 Played better than he got credit for around here, but still a fringe first grader.

Jack Murchie 6.5 A bit of a liability at times. A huge asset at others. Took his chances and stood out.

Jamayne Taunoa Brown 6.5 Played some good football and then had some lean form. In many ways, a parallel to Katoa. Exciting prospect too.

Jazz Tevaga 7. I still can't quite figure him out, but there's no denying his work rate. Again, it all comes down to his control and discipline. He walks a fine line and when he gets it right, it's tremendous.

Karl Lawton 6 Impressive versatility, filling it out wide. At times, I really thought we looked enterprising with him at hooker. But as time went on, I was less convinced.

King Vuniyayawa 5 A bit of a break out season of sorts. Shame it had to end abruptly. Could have had a few more games than he had IMO

Lachlan Burr 5.5 Impressive towards the end of the season. I like him in our squad, but he hardly commands a place.

Tohu Harris 9 Player of the year. Easily.

Wayde Egan 7 Got better towards the back end of the season as he started playing more direct and engaging defenders out of dummy half.

Loaners
Hetherington 6.5 A lot of potential but lived up to his reputation for being a hothead.
Alvaro 6.5 Did the job.
Jennings. 6.5. Shame his last game was a nightmare of a performance, but he exceeded my expectations.

Payten 10 Did more than you could reasonably expect a caretaker coach to do under these circumstances.

Best match- Round 16 v the Knights
Worst match- Round 7 v the Storm

We should rate Kearney as well. He was still a big part of the season, for better or worse.

Meth

Staff member
We should rate Kearney as well. He was still a big part of the season, for better or worse.

Not the coach we need. Not a first grade coach. But this year was a difficult year and he fronted up for it

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I'll rate the club as a whole first and get to individual ratings probably in the off season.

I'd give them a 7/10.

I know we didn't make the 8,but this is a year that I can as a fan proudly say I'm a warriors fan. What these blokes and staff have done this year is commendable and especially the little things like walking the dogs, cleaning up the gym, all that kind of shit is awesome to hear! Really good signs of club culture and Kearney has to get some credit for that along with Payten & George.

I hope the government Corona tests them and let's them reunite with their families after getting the negatives.

14 days isolation feels a shitty way to be welcomed back to NZ after all their sacrifices this year.

LeagueNut

First Grade
OK let's give this a go...

Tohu Harris - 8
No argument from me, he's our Player of the Year.

Adam Blair - 6.5
Hit and miss, came good once the end of the year was within sight.

Kodi Nikorima - 6
Steady with a bit of spark but needs to show that spark a lot more to really cement his place in the team.

Jamayne Taunoa-Brown - 5
Started with a roar but fizzled out pretty quickly.

Peta Hiku - 7
Yeah he has the odd howler but overall the good outweighed the bad this year.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck - 7.5
Played like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Looking forward to getting him back with a clear head next season.

Karl Lawton - 6.5
Shuffled around a lot and did everything that was asked of him. I'm still not quite sure what his best role is.

Wayde Egan - 5.5
Plays like he's not sure what his role is in the team. Hopefully having a former dummy half as head coach will help.

Isaiah Papalii - 5
Plays with effort but doesn't bring much more to the table.

Lachlan Burr - 6.5
Seemed to find his niche up front but not enough to cement a place. Hope he finds a good deal elsewhere.

Chanel Harris-Tavita - 5.5
Very early days in his career, needs to block out all the "future of the club" talk and remember he's still got a lot of developing to do.

Patrick Herbert - 6.5
Provided some stability and spark, it'll be a shame to see him go.

Eliesa Katoa - 7
Rookie of the Year with daylight second. If he keeps a level head it'll be great to watch him develop further next year.

Adam Pompey - 6
Tricky for him to be dropped in without any reserve grade action. Slowly warmed up to the task, worth persevering with.

Jack Murchie - 7
Bit of a surprise packet. Deserves to keep his place in 2021.

Jazz Tevaga - 5.5
Plays with a level of confidence and aggression that's above his station. He's an answer to a question that nobody asked. With the incoming signings I wouldn't have him in my first choice 17 next year.

Blake Green - 4.5
Didn't deliver what he was capable of. Realistically he should have been dropped well before he decided to bugger off.

Ken Maumalo - 6
Another one whose mind was elsewhere during the year (and fair enough too). Hoping he comes back with a hiss and a roar.

David Fusitua - 5.5
Dipped in form when shuffled around the backline and given different roles. Memo to Nathan Brown - keep it simple.

Hayze Perham - 5
Needs to remember that Kearney is gone. Let that natural flair out!

Gerard Beale - 5.5
Did the job that was asked of him. Happy to see him back after that horrible injury last year.

George Jennings - 6.5
Strong and solid, slotted straight in and added a lot of value. Is he still without a contract for 2021??

Agnatius Paasi - 5
Early performances weren't anything to write home about but I think we missed him as the season wore on.

Jack Hetherington - 6.5
Would have scored higher if not for his suspension. Fun to watch but also risky.

Daniel Alvaro - 5
Started slowly and needed more time to get his match fitness up. Still a worthwhile contributor.

King Vuniyayawa - 5
Early season cameo, never got much of a chance to see what he could do.

Steve Kearney - 4
Couldn't come up with a Plan B even though Blind Freddy could see Plan A wasn't working for us.

Todd Payten - 6.5
The jury is out. Yes he turned us around and the team responded well to his style but he was helped by a "nothing to lose" approach to this season. I hope he goes well with the Cowboys.

Grizzman

Juniors
Yep, I'll give it a crack too.

Tohu Harris - 8.5
Sam, same. He's our Player of the Year, for sure. I can't recall a bad minute, let alone a bad game.

Adam Blair - 7
I enjoyed his energy and other than a couple of loose games early in the season, his discipline was actually pretty good. We may have paid him overs, I don't know ... but I thought he was good this year.

Kodi Nikorima - 6.5
Just run, Kodi. You look good when you run and then the whole team looks good.

Jamayne Taunoa-Brown - 5
Obvious potential but I thought the weekly grind got to him. He needs to learn to use that big frame of his to our advantage. He stops in tackles pretty quickly.

Peta Hiku - 7.5
"Yeah he has the odd howler but overall the good outweighed the bad this year." Agreed with this. Make his wingers look good.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck - 8
Talent, effort and committment. None of these can be denied. Perhaps there have been times when he has tried to be the whole team, sometimes early in the season he was.

Karl Lawton - 6.5
Such a useful player for us this year. Did a job wherever he was asked to.

Wayde Egan - 5
I questioned his position early but at the back end of the season he looked like a front-foot hooker. I think with the 2021 line up looking like it is, he could go ok. He could run more.

Isaiah Papalii - 5
Just has never really developed after looking so promising early. Did ok. I'm not sure what it is . Is he too small? Or too slow? or not athletic enough? Good D.

Lachlan Burr - 6.0
Played his best games at the end of the season. Not sure he's a prop. I always thought he would make a better lock but what do I know?

Chanel Harris-Tavita - 6
Got better at game management. Good energy in defence.

Patrick Herbert - 7
Played out of position for most of the season and did a pretty adequate job. I would be happy enough to see him stick around.

Eliesa Katoa - 7.5
"Rookie of the Year" Agreed. This boy could be the next Ali!

Adam Pompey - 5
Average. Has to be the slowest winger in the NRL.

Jack Murchie - 7
He looked pretty good this year. Made the most of his opportunities.

Jazz Tevaga - 7
He makes meters he shouldn't, throws offloads he shouldn't and gives away penalties he shouldn't. He's a bit of an enigma but he offers something so different that despite my frustration at times, he's a dangerous component to our team. Be interesting to see him running off the big boys next year.

Blake Green - 4.0
We persevered too long. His kicking game (outside of the Brisbane game) went too shit and then we realised he had nothing else.

Ken Maumalo - 5.5
We were hoping for the Maumalo of 2019 but got the one from 2016

David Fusitua - 5.0
He's a wing. He's a wing who finishes. Put him outside Hiku and then him do what he does.

Hayze Perham - 5
Did an adequate job in positions that he was a little unfamiliar with. I don't think we have seen his ability yet.

Gerard Beale - 5.0
Plod.Never lived up to what we once saw.

George Jennings - 6.5
Played with passion, ability and composure. He would not look out of place in the 2021 squad.

Agnatius Paasi - 5
Not his year. Showed glimpses but not much more.

Jack Hetherington - 6
"Fun to watch but also risky" Yup

Daniel Alvaro - 5
Was ok. Thanks for the loan Parra.

King Vuniyayawa - 5
Didn't see much of him bit looked ok but maybe had handling issues?

Steve Kearney - 4
Good bloke, seemed liked and respected by the players but probably back where he belongs ... assistant coach

Todd Payten - 7
I really liked what I saw from Todd. He was strong, well spoken, blunt at times, honest but also kind. He got results and the team (what was left of it) played better for him than they did for Kearney. My wife thought he had lovely eyes.

Rich102

Staff member
Tohu Harris - 8
No doubt our Player of the Year. But is he the forward leader we need?

Adam Blair - 6.5
Lazy start to the year but improved once he was demoted to the interchange. Very effective tackling technique.

Kodi Nikorima - 6
Looks lazy. Needs to get a bit of fire in his belly.

Jamayne Taunoa-Brown - 5.5
Capable. Tough rookie season. Should improve.

Peta Hiku - 7
The bright spark in the team. Our first real centre in a while. Not a great defender but sets up his winger well.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck - 7
Puts the team first. Growing into the captaincy. Solid year but want the real Roger back please.

Karl Lawton - 6.5
Mr Versatile. played a lot of positions - none badly. Maybe a bench player.

Wayde Egan - 5.5
Hard to judge. Looks class but not busy enough.

Isaiah Papalii - 5
Had a strong start to his career but has bulked up and slowed down. Hope he finds a new home.

Lachlan Burr - 6.5
A bit like Lawton. Filled in well. Not big enough for a prop. Don't know if we have seen his best.

Chanel Harris-Tavita - 6.5
Hard worker and keen to learn. Backs himself. Should improve.

Patrick Herbert - 6.0
Swings and roundabouts. Solid. Needs to improve to stay.

Eliesa Katoa - 7
Standout first season. Has to be the find of the year. Looking forward to seeing what he does next year with a couple of big men to run off.

Adam Pompey - 6.5
Very safe under the high ball. Needs more speed. Made a good combination with Hiku.

Jack Murchie - 6.5
Not totally convinced but worth persevering with.

Jazz Tevaga - 5.0
I have watched him carefully because others seem to rate him. I just can't see anything past the third man into tackles, ball hog when the ball needs to go wide, hit-up straight ahead and dies with the ball or flings it back. Too much niggle for no return. Gives away too many penalties. If he makes the team next year then the team is too weak to compete effectively.

Blake Green - 6.0
Didn't set the world on fire but did a solid job. Probably the on-field leader. When he talked the team listened. Probably not the half we need going forward but we haven't signed a better one - yet.

Ken Maumalo - 5.5
Too quick to abandon the cause. Needs to prove himself next year.

David Fusitua - 5.0
As for Ken. Will need to prove himself.

Hayze Perham - 5.5
Well balanced player. Needs to show more. Next year could be the decider for him. Was touted as a half but I can't see it.

Gerard Beale - 5.5
Did what was asked. No longer at the top level.

Agnatius Paasi - 5
Should have had a good year. Didn't. Time to pay the price.

Daniel Alvaro - 5
Didn't catch my eye. The off season will tell.

King Vuniyayawa - 5
Showed glimpses. Didn't get many chances.

Paul Turner- 6.
Great debut - then we didn't see him again. How does that work? Has the ability to bust the line. Given that he is unlikely to replace Roger why not give him a shot at centre?

Overall Payten got an under-strength team, plus a few ring-ins, to compete.
The squad should be stronger next year; will the team be?
We still appear short of game breakers.

The roller coaster continues. Stay tuned.

Big Marn

Juniors
the Fullback situation is a strange one. It seems the best players our scouts can find all prefer to play fullback. Perham, Turner, Berry. Yet we already have the best fullback in the NRL save for Tedesco, so where/when are they going to play? CNK was another one. Do these young players end up as fullbacks because they want to play that position or do the coaches put them there because they want their best kid playing at fullback because he can score tries/make tries as well as save tries? The best centre thats been on our books from within NZ was Laumape and there has been nothing since. Bit of a conundrum really.

Meth

Staff member
the Fullback situation is a strange one. It seems the best players our scouts can find all prefer to play fullback. Perham, Turner, Berry. Yet we already have the best fullback in the NRL save for Tedesco, so where/when are they going to play? CNK was another one. Do these young players end up as fullbacks because they want to play that position or do the coaches put them there because they want their best kid playing at fullback because he can score tries/make tries as well as save tries? The best centre thats been on our books from within NZ was Laumape and there has been nothing since. Bit of a conundrum really.

if a player can conceivably play fullback, he wants to. He wants that fullback money