What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 rule changes

Springs09

Juniors
What a load of complete f**king rubbish. Yeah what scrums definitely needed was more wasting time, lets get everyone to the middle of the f**king field when the ball goes out over the sideline. Every rugby league fan was calling for that, just like everyone knew having no 20/40 kick was ruining the game.

Good to see defending players just have to let the attacking player score if they catch it from a bomb, perfect sense.

Why do we need trials to test 6-players in a scrum even when down to 12 men? The way it has been has never been a problem, ever.

The challenge rule is great sure, what we need is more video ref garbage.

Get these idiots out.

f**k the 20/40 rule.

If the defending team had done well enough to peg a side back in their own 20 then deal with it. FFS

That's not the worst of it, it could in fact lead to more kicking of the ball. Just what we all wanted to see eh? :rolleyes:

Vic Mackey

Referee
I actually dont mind a 20/40 rule. For starters i reckon we'll see less then 20 times a year so if you dont like it calm down, however it could open things up a bit. Wingers will have to be aware and possibly constantly defending 10-20m behind the line, this will then open up a chance to spread it deep in your own half. The other possibility is if you're down by 4 in the dying minutes and stuck in your end it gives you a chance to get into the oppositions half quickly.

The Captains Challenege is good in principal however I'm worried as to how it could be applied. If a team makes a long break, gets tackled 1m out from the line, then has a 5 on 2 overlap is the defending captain allowed to call a Challenge which then stops play? He can simply say he thought there was a knock on in the play the ball. I imagine it would only be allowed to be brought up in stoppages but that kind of defeats the purpose of it.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm in favour of a running version of the 40-20 rule - ie. a way to reset the tackle count that promotes the kind of running passing football we all like

But while we're all losing our minds over the genius NRL is not the time to be posting crackpot rule suggestions.

taste2taste

Juniors
I actually dont mind a 20/40 rule. For starters i reckon we'll see less then 20 times a year so if you dont like it calm down, however it could open things up a bit. Wingers will have to be aware and possibly constantly defending 10-20m behind the line, this will then open up a chance to spread it deep in your own half. The other possibility is if you're down by 4 in the dying minutes and stuck in your end it gives you a chance to get into the oppositions half quickly.

The Captains Challenege is good in principal however I'm worried as to how it could be applied. If a team makes a long break, gets tackled 1m out from the line, then has a 5 on 2 overlap is the defending captain allowed to call a Challenge which then stops play? He can simply say he thought there was a knock on in the play the ball. I imagine it would only be allowed to be brought up in stoppages but that kind of defeats the purpose of it.
Agreed, I like the 20/40, I guess the idea from the NRL is to tempt teams to be more adventures coming out from their line instead of the tedious 5 tackles and a kick.

I like the idea of the captions challenge but I thought it would be used instead of refs referring to the bunker all the time ? The ref makes an onfield call and if the defending team/coach could see an obvious infringement they could challenge it.

I don't see the point in captains challenge if its not going to replace the video ref :/

Valheru

Coach
I don't see how the replay of the tackle is going to help things.

Picture this - the rule is in place for the 2019 GF and the roosters replay their 5th play and score a try off it. The sook would have still bee on.

Springs09

Juniors

The 20/40 rule isn't so much a bad rule (though it is still a bad rule) as much as it is a useless rule. How much time did they waste trialling it when they should be looking at real issues? They brought it in for the 9s where it actually makes sense to use it, and it was used once I think? If its brought in Australia-wide then I'll be telling my team to never try it as the low percentage play is not worth the risk of turning the ball over on the halfway line, and I'd say most coaches will do the same.

LineBall

Juniors
The 20/40 rule could be a sneaky way to get cheap metres off a 20 metre restart. Just quickly tap the ball, and pass it to a kicker who belts it downfield before the defensive team is ready. Then you get another set starting in the oppositions half.

Springs09

Juniors
The 20/40 rule could be a sneaky way to get cheap metres off a 20 metre restart. Just quickly tap the ball, and pass it to a kicker who belts it downfield before the defensive team is ready. Then you get another set starting in the oppositions half.

Was about to bite

nick87

Coach
introduction to the challenge system is good, hopefully it's the first step in eliminating the video refs impact and eventually results in calls being made and teams getting 3 challenges per game to use at their pleasure... other than that, the call is the call...

The Roosters trainer rule change is also good, especially if that do indeed follow through with limiting trainers time on the field... if they do that, then replaying the tackle is a really good change

The scrum rule is a bit of a waste of time imo, but sure why not, more options the better, hopefully encourages teams to do more set plays off of scrums

20/40 rule is good too, its a limited impact and will only happen 10 odd times a year, but those will be major momentum shifting changes

No change to the strip rule... which is great given how it was the worst rule in the history of sports for about 20 seconds there before everyone realised it didnt f**king matter or impact games other than one team being exceptionally good at it, and once teams game planned for that, the noise died away... who could have possibly seen that situation occur? Oh me? I did. And so did everyone else with a single f**king brain cell.

The tackling in the air rule has huge potential to be a disaster for all the reasons others have said here. I agree with you all on that.

axl rose

Bench
Tigers are camped in thier own 20 for most games. We may as well just practice this all off season.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade

You can already do this immediately from a 20m restart

ACTPanthers

Bench
Panthers might actually be able to score some f**king points from inside the opposing 20 now... Nah, we'll still f**k it up.

Eion

First Grade
What happened to the points changes for golden point? That was the one thing I agreed with...

Reactions: Vee

shaggs

Coach
You can already do this immediately from a 20m restart
No you can’t. The person who is the tap taker must kick it. This has always been an optional restart and only has to go out for the scrum feed to go with the attacker.

Latest posts