What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Squad

Tigerm

First Grade
seems that way. Was looking forward to having a real no 9, but Momo offers plenty so not the end of the earth
Agree, the Storm kid has only played 2 NRL games, so he would have been an unknown.

I think, Moses and Josh are highly experienced players who will hopefully do the job.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Really feel for Momo, you would think this has greatly hindered his chances of playing round 1 for us (or Melbourne). If it doesn’t go ahead I would think he slots straight in at left center and Mbye back to the 9.

Either way it’s not good that a crucial spine position is still so unknown 33 days out from round 1

Tigerm

First Grade
Really feel for Momo, you would think this has greatly hindered his chances of playing round 1 for us (or Melbourne). If it doesn’t go ahead I would think he slots straight in at left center and Mbye back to the 9.

Either way it’s not good that a crucial spine position is still so unknown 33 days out from round 1
Hopefully, we both call it off as a bad dream. I just shake my head at the NRL they don't appear to have any gumption or vision.
They should have been leading this, not 2 of the clubs.

The NRL have never been proactive in anything,they wouldn’t know a good idea if it feel into their lap, all they ever do is follow what other codes do rather than come up with new innovations themselves.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Hopefully, we both call it off as a bad dream. I just shake my head at the NRL they don't appear to have any gumption or vision.
They should have been leading this, not 2 of the clubs.

I said in another thread the only way it will go ahead is if Souths and/or Brisbane want it. Until then the loan deals off the table

stryker

First Grade
To be honest im glad this loan deal is being squashed.
It would have been a shitty feeling watching our young center, who is on the up, playing elsewhere whilst a reserve grader tries to prove himself in one of the most important positions on the field.
Coupled with the mercenary nature of it ...nah I dont like it.

Fordy20

Juniors
It feels like we are just delaying the inevitable and getting nothing in return. Momo is off contract and people are selecting AD, BJ and Talau over him in the centres. Bellamy has expressed an interest in him and I don't think that interest will wane.

gordsy

Juniors
two clubs and two clubs wanted to do something that could benefit all players in the nrl. What does the nrl do, shit all over the idea. Merkins. Someone should shoot greenberg

I wonder Vic if the NRL said from the outset, hang tight, not sure about this, will have to get advice from other clubs etc etc which meant that Momo never stopped training in a particular position over the summer.
two clubs and two clubs wanted to do something that could benefit all players in the nrl. What does the nrl do, shit all over the idea. Merkins. Someone should shoot greenberg
Yeah I agree they were busy over summer coming up with innovations like allowing a scrum to be set, 1m, 2m, 10m, 20m, 45m or 238m in from touch but still allowing the wingers to pack as 2nd rowers, the 5/8 to hooker and the fullback at lock rather than forwards packing into a scrum.

As for player loans, Greenberg went to the superbowl when he could have called the EPL to find out how they manage a loan system. Greenberg and his mob are a joke.

Tigerm

First Grade
WESTS TIGERS injuries update

Russell Packer (Foot) — Round 1

Moses Mbye (Hip) — Pre-season

Josh Aloiai (Hand) — Pre-season

Jacob Liddle (Knee) — Mid-2020 season

Paul Momirovski (Knee) — TBC

I had my bags packed': hooker at centre of aborted player swap opens up.
Melbourne hooker Harry Grant, presented with a unique opportunity to replace legendary rakes Robbie Farah and Cameron Smith in successive seasons, had already packed his bags.

“I’ve had the car full of gear for almost a month,” Grant said.
“It’s obviously been tough mentally - my arse is at training but my head is at Concord.

“I’ve had about six or seven going away parties. The hardest thing mentally is that for four weeks I’m thinking I’m playing NRL in a Tigers jersey and it was very exciting.

“It’s obviously hard when you look at the player welfare side of things. You rock up to training every day and give your best but there’s still that little thought in the back of your mind whether you’ll be there the next day or not.”

Grant was poised to be part of an historic “loan” arrangement that would have resulted in a player swap with Wests Tigers centre Paul Momirovski for the 2020 season before the players returned to their original clubs in November.

The pair have been in limbo for the last month as they awaited an official decision from the NRL, who this week finally blocked the move because it ruled it would have put the Storm over the salary cap.

The decision is a hammer blow for Grant. While Momirovski is guaranteed a starting NRL spot regardless of whether he’s at the Storm or Tigers, Grant’s first-grade progression is blocked by hooking teammates Cameron Smith and Brandon Smith in Victoria, limiting his chances of adding to his two first-grade appearances.

Speaking for the first time about his predicament, Grant hoped the NRL would tinker its transfer rules to allow developing players better avenues to first-grade football.

“I hope somehow they can look back over the decision,” Grant told The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age.

“This should be something that we can do. It’s not like we’re both marquee players … me and Paul are just a couple of minimum-wage players looking for an opportunity to develop as footballers. Both clubs would benefit.

“I reckon going forward there might be some rules they might change or put in place.

“If you’re swapping players on a similar amount of money, it gives more opportunity. I don’t think one club is benefiting more than the other, everyone is on par.

“It’s not a way to try to rort the salary cap and get a win, it’s two clubs trying to develop players and fill holes in their roster.”

There is another intriguing twist in Grant’s playing future. Although he is contracted to the Storm until the end of 2023, he has a get-out clause if Cameron Smith plays on next year.

“The thing is Cameron is still playing and training the best he ever has, he could keep playing for another two, three or four years,” Grant said.

“If I get to the end of this year and Cameron is still playing, I’ll have to look at my options.”

Despite being one of the most promising young hookers in the game, Grant will be forced to bide his time playing in the Queensland Cup if an alternate arrangement can’t be struck. The 21-year-old hopes the Storm will release him to the Tigers to benefit his development, even if they don’t get Momirovski back in return.

“For my development, I believe the next step for me is to play NRL and unfortunately I won’t get too many games at Melbourne,” Grant said.

“I’m hoping for [a release]. As selfless as it would be for the club, long-term it would benefit the club.

“I’m open to it, the Tigers are open to it but whether the Storm is, I’d have to sit down and have a chat with [coach] Craig Bellamy and [CEO] Dave [Donaghy]. I don’t know how it works, if I go now they might have to sign a new player and be in the same boat (with the salary cap).

“What I need now development-wise is to play footy at a higher level at NRL. I might have to chase that elsewhere and the Tigers is a good opportunity for both parties."

Grant and Momirovski have formed a bond during their ordeals. They once roomed together in camp ahead of a Nines tournament and the plan was for Momirovski to move into Grant’s Melbourne unit if the transfer went ahead.

“We have formed a bit of a relationship and chat here and there if we have any info for each other,” Grant said.

“I have been getting called ‘Paul’ a bit by the boys at training.”

Now if the NRL wonder why crowds and tv ratings are down then here is a perfect example why, people want the best talent and product available to watch and follow every week,Greenberg and his cronies are so consumed by policing the salary cap they miss the bigger picture.This transfer deal could easily be negotiated yet it is beyond their way of thinking.

WA Tiger

Bench
Yes, for sure, but they will need a 2nd grade 9 and a backup if he does get injured.
Fact is in 4 weeks they are back where they started Grant knows that He’s going to want out now or soon anyway .Itll make discussions interesting I Hope he’s a tough kid

Last edited:

Latest posts