What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 World T20

Timbo

Staff member
Hosted in Australia, venues announced today.

Surprise surprise, the MCG gets the final. Pisses me off a bit - other countries share the love a little for ICC event finals, when England has hosted Champions Trophy's they've played finals at Edgbaston and The Oval, India has played finals of ICC events at a number of venues, South Africa have played ICC event finals at The Wanderers and Centurion. But here we are, two weeks after the MCG gets an official warning from the ICC about poor quality pitches and the final is headed back there.

Capacity should really only get you so far when there are 50,000+ venues in Perth and Adelaide, a 48,000 ground in Sydney and a 40,000 ground in Brisbane (bigger than every cricket ground in the world barring India, Pakistan and Eden Park).

Also, the mens event is being played exclusively at the 6 test grounds plus Geelong. Womens matches will be held at the same grounds, plus Canberra and Western Sydney. This could have been a chance to play it in a few more venues outside of the traditional areas given the tournament now has 16 teams with the preliminary group matches in advance.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/c...s/news-story/435011720aa9342207b4b398dcd8bccd

TheParraboy

Staff member

Surprise surprise, the MCG gets the final. Pisses me off a bit - other countries share the love a little for ICC event finals, when England has hosted Champions Trophy's they've played finals at Edgbaston and The Oval, India has played finals of ICC events at a number of venues, South Africa have played ICC event finals at The Wanderers and Centurion. But here we are, two weeks after the MCG gets an official warning from the ICC about poor quality pitches and the final is headed back there.

Capacity should really only get you so far when there are 50,000+ venues in Perth and Adelaide, a 48,000 ground in Sydney and a 40,000 ground in Brisbane (bigger than every cricket ground in the world barring India, Pakistan and Eden Park).

Also, the mens event is being played exclusively at the 6 test grounds plus Geelong. Womens matches will be held at the same grounds, plus Canberra and Western Sydney. This could have been a chance to play it in a few more venues outside of the traditional areas given the tournament now has 16 teams with the preliminary group matches in advance.

I dont mind the final being at the MCG, they will most likely get 80k plus for that, No where else would come near that.

Would be nice for some of the "lesser" marquee games be played outside the main areas
I guess they may think they will get huge numbers hence need the bigger venues??

Thomas Dalton Park misses out again :mad:

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
The Big Show and Levers will be due by then - and on a flat drop in at #MCGsobig, nobody has a chance - even the MCG can't contain Mitchell Marsh

ANTiLAG

First Grade

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/c...s/news-story/435011720aa9342207b4b398dcd8bccd

I hear you Timbo.

I wish NZ, any ground, would get an ICC final.

But I understand your frustration that Melbourne is now 3/3 in ICC finals.

I get Parraboy's comment about attendance of 80k plus. But I agreee with Timbo's comment, specific crowd numbers do not matter, and a full Perth Stadium will on tv look and sound nigh identicial to a full MCG, as would the Gabba with all those coloured seats filled up. I think that Adelaide and SCG have far more cricket character. But this is purely aesthetics. But a scoreboard on a grass bank, or 2 green pavilions, it makes a difference.

The 2011 WC final was played at Wankhede, 33k base capacity and 42k with temporary then. Kolkata (Eden Gardens) is double that base now and was much bigger than that before. Plus they do have many more grounds biggers than the Wankhede. India definitely share their prizes between their venues, though Mumbai gets accused of getting more love, prolly cos of 2011.

And now they are also now building an AFL stadium:

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/work-begins-on-worlds-biggest-cricket-stadium-in-ahmedabad-1649387

Last edited:

jargan83

Coach
6 games of the Super 12 stage for Perth (according to what I've ssen) so does that mean none of the preliminary games?

Timbo

Staff member
6 games of the Super 12 stage for Perth (according to what I've ssen) so does that mean none of the preliminary games?

The preliminarily games are the qualifiers. Titans like Oman vs Hong Kong and Zimbabwe vs UAE.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I hear you Timbo.

I wish NZ, any ground, would get an ICC final.

But I understand your frustration that Melbourne is now 3/3 in ICC finals.

I get Parraboy's comment about attendance of 80k plus. But I agreee with Timbo's comment, specific crowd numbers do not matter, and a full Perth Stadium will on tv look and sound nigh identicial to a full MCG, as would the Gabba with all those coloured seats filled up. I think that Adelaide and SCG have far more cricket character. But this is purely aesthetics. But a scoreboard on a grass bank, or 2 green pavilions, it makes a difference.

The 2011 WC final was played at Wankhede, 33k base capacity and 42k with temporary then. Kolkata (Eden Gardens) is double that base now and was much bigger than that before. Plus they do have many more grounds biggers than the Wankhede. India definitely share their prizes between their venues, though Mumbai gets accused of getting more love, prolly cos of 2011.

And now they are also now building an AFL stadium:

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/work-begins-on-worlds-biggest-cricket-stadium-in-ahmedabad-1649387

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a tender process for the final rather than ICC just giving it to Melbourne. Victorian government just had the bigger numbers that the other states who couldn't or wouldn't match or better.

money talks

The BBL coverage could be lost to ch9 due to that very variable - Moolah

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a tender process for the final rather than ICC just giving it to Melbourne. Victorian government just had the bigger numbers that the other states who couldn't or wouldn't match or better.

money talks

The BBL coverage could be lost to ch9 due to that very variable - Moolah

I may be wrong, but it is my understanding the host board put together the proposal for the voting.

So any money that the Victoria government offer, goes through CA first, who may get sticky fingers, and then offered to the ICC.This then isn't a tender to the ICC as such, just part of the CA package. I highly doubt this money, if existing, is directly forwarded to the ICC, it is CA's call. All the ICC typically care about though is tax cuts, and that is nation wide to get the vote from ICC members (looking at profitability), and Australia have a good history of offering tax cuts thoroughly (and their broadcast value of time slots in India). So Victoria seems to be favored more by CA than NSW if I had to stab in the dark. WA is the closest to India for prime time tv. Lets be honest. Its also the best for max viewing in England. Don't think that the ICC doesn't care about the tv value, India and Pakistan being pooled together repeatedly of late is well beyond a fluke.*

The ICC doesn't choose where the final is within certain timezones, the member boards offer a package which obviously encompasses and is CA, and they sort their offer out themselves is my understanding. It then goes to a vote. Not a tender. I could be wrong, this is just my understanding.

But if so, don't blame the ICC - look to CA's bid.

Typically, the ICC Champs Trophy was running at a loss for hosts, This deters bidders. That is why England gets it so often. They're the only country that manages so far to make it profitable continuously. Their massive multi-cultural population in multiple mostly southern cities helps in this regards I believe. The World Cup is a different kettle of fish with more pull, hence why more countries want it. I imagine the Wt20 is in between the two. Many cricket fans confuse it with a World Cup. I have seen aggregate counting of Wt20's and World Cups, I am not a fan of this myself. Especially since the Wt20 was every 2 years for a while. I certainly want NZC to win a 50 over WC before a T20 one if given the choice of celebration regardless of Straya having 4 50 overs WCs and 0 Wt20s. I didn't take the first few Wt20's all that seriously as a cricket fan myself. No offence to the winners. Every WC is valued by me. Even in 1975 when Gavaskar didn't know nor really care about what he was doing. Maybe in the future the WT20 rechaes the same status. Maybe.

Because of the high viewership that Indo-Pak matches garner, the ICC has placed the two teams in the same pools over the years.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1287121

These ICC tournament matches been India and Pakistan's tv value world wide, far exceeds 40k worth of ticket sales to a random final. It would send Willow ratings soaring in the USA alone.

Last edited:

Latest posts