What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Predictions 2021 - Can ANY team outside top 5 make a late season run?

forby

Juniors
What a load of bs. They wouldn’t have made the GF if this was the case. Besides they now have that experience to draw on.

Nealo 12

Bench
Ha Ha Jim’s come out of his bedroom and now using his footy brain , such a great insight into the game

The_Frog

First Grade
Manly could still make the top 4 but I don't think they can beat either of the big 2, so a prelim is probably the best they can expect. I do think they're going better than the Roosters. Of the others, Titans have attacking prowess but they have defensive issues, so it looks unlikely for them unless they can address those. The Sharks are developing into a tough unit, but they'll be fodder in the finals. The Raiders have talent in their side, but they're a rabble at present.

The_Frog

First Grade
Agree with regards to the Storm,but as Penrith showed last year, when the whips are crackin' and the games are worth more than just 2 points, they fold like a cheap suit.
If that is the decider again this year, as seems likely, it will be a completely different game to last year's one.

Agree with many here that Manly are the only realistic shout.

The only factor that could bring those top teams back to the field is injuries to key players..

The Storm have been able to cover this pretty well though with plenty absences this season. Penrith have been relatively unscathed so if a Cleary and/or Luai plus a few others went down, be interesting to see. Souths have really struggled without some folk. If Parra lose Gutherson (along with Mahoney) I think that’s a real issue for them.

There’s a long way to go in the season. But if these top teams glide through ok enough without injury I can’t see anyone (with the possible exception of Manly) getting within a bulls roar of them. Especially the Melbourne Storm. They are just on a different level..

_Johnsy

Referee
If that is the decider again this year, as seems likely, it will be a completely different game to last year's one.
Outside the top 5, I just can't see it happening. No chance.

As a neutral, the top 2 teams are clear, however I think penrith have an extra gear. If it is Penrith V melbourne, looking at the type of football both teams have played this year it will be an absolute beauty of a GF.

flippikat

Bench
On another angle, are there any mid-season signings in the works that may spur a late season run?

I see that after signing Watene-Zelezniak, the Warriors are chasing Gareth Widdop and Matt Lodge.. which would bolster the squad a bit. Could that be the difference they need? *shrugs*

t-ba

Post Whore
If Stabby comes back after avoiding a conviction like he never took a break, maybe Manly.

As it stands if he gets off and the rules din't change too much we have the tools to challenge next year but not this one. 2nd week of finals is a successful season for Manly for mine.

On another angle, are there any mid-season signings in the works that may spur a late season run?

I see that after signing Watene-Zelezniak, the Warriors are chasing Gareth Widdop and Matt Lodge.. which would bolster the squad a bit. Could that be the difference they need? *shrugs*

If the Warriors snare those two it would definitely boost them. Fonua Blake n Lodge up front would be great for momentum. Widdop will help too but I’ve not seen much of him since leaving the NRL so dunno what level he’s at… but if close to what he left with, he’ll be a weapon…

I reckon Lodge is a great prop, hard to pull down. People will blither on about he’s a grub etc but he hasn’t put a foot wrong since coming back to the NRL. I don’t have a problem with him like many others do.

As for them competing with the top teams if this happens?

Still think they’d be a few steps below

Perth Red

Post Whore
Never mind outside the top 5, can anyone outside the top 2 win it this year? Going to take loads of injuries or some massive upset for it not to be a Storm v panthers gf.

flippikat

Bench
Never mind outside the top 5, can anyone outside the top 2 win it this year? Going to take loads of injuries or some massive upset for it not to be a Storm v panthers gf.
Fair point, but in the original question I cast the net wider & kinda asked (in a roundabout way) if there's gonna be anyone outside Panthers, Storm, Rabbitohs, Eels & Roosters in the last 4 standing/prelim finals week.

I dare say it's hard to see anyone outside those 5 breaking into THAT weekend, and if the Panthers & Storm finish 1 & 2 then the probably only way they could NOT meet in the GF is if one wins and one loses in the first week of playoffs.

footy75

Bench
Only Manly...

But one of Panthers and Storm are seriously gonna have to shit the bed to not win it all.

nick87

Coach
No.
But you could reduce that figure down to the top 2 and my answer would still be no.

I dont think there is ANY chance that someone other than the storm or panthers are winning the comp.
I could see one of them getting pipped in the prelim, just one of those games where they're off and the other side is RED hot... any given sunday and all that. But both teams choking? Feels a little unrealistic imo

The comp will be won by one of the panthers or storm.