What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Knock on Effect NSW Cup & U21 Jersey Flegg

The Penrith Panthers have announced they will be entering the following competitions for 2021

Harold Matthews – Under 17
SG Ball – Under – 19
Jersey Flegg – Under 21

Nothing on a Canterbury Cup side

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The Penrith Panthers have announced they will be entering the following competitions for 2021

Harold Matthews – Under 17
SG Ball – Under – 19
Jersey Flegg – Under 21

Nothing on a Canterbury Cup side
I would say that's more to do with the fact those three are classified as junior competitions. I doubt anybody knows for sure what's happening with CC in 2021.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
There are rumours that there will not be a CC comp. It will be Presidents Cup and Sydney Shield.
But V'landys seems to indicate that there would be a CC comp or equivalent

I have heard that North Sydney will not be fielding a team in Jersey Flegg (U21's).
Looking for more information of teams that will be competing in both of the Jersey Flegg and Presidents Cup competitions in 2021.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Well with Warriors leaving to the Q-Cup, the current crop of CC teams is down to 11.

Wests, Saints, Parra, Mounties (Canterbury), Canberra, Norths (Roosters), Souths, Blacktown (Manly), Penrith, Newcastle & Newtown (Cronulla). Would they be able to entice Wyong back for a 12-team comp?

rightleftin

Juniors
Last publicity was that canberra will not have a NSW Cup team, instead relying on inter club scrimmages and send players to the local canberra Cup comp, if they are not still in the bubble.

Wyong wont be playing NSW Cup. They pulled all their teams out for 2020 but at the last minute entered the Newcastle comp on the basis that players in all clubs were not paid, so they have no money for NSW Cup.

Tigers1986

Juniors
The interesting caveat is the Flegg being raised to Under 21s, with regards to participation numbers. I thought it was necessated by NSWRL that each team had to have representation in the state cup? Knowing NSWRL, we won't know until March and they'll milk the covid restrictions for all its worth.

Last publicity was that canberra will not have a NSW Cup team, instead relying on inter club scrimmages and send players to the local canberra Cup comp, if they are not still in the bubble.

Wyong wont be playing NSW Cup. They pulled all their teams out for 2020 but at the last minute entered the Newcastle comp on the basis that players in all clubs were not paid, so they have no money for NSW Cup.
Having watched the Dragons feed players into a local comp, then later to the Metro Cup instead of Reserve Grade / NSW Cup, all I can say is that’s it’s a shocking idea. The jump in talent from playing in the local comp or RMC/Presidents Cup to 1st Grade is huge. The players dominate the lower comp, then get dominated in 1st Grade when called up.

Would Canberra not be better trying to partner with one of the bigger local teams like Queanbeyan Whites or Gunghalin Bulls to field a NSW Cup team? Similar to what they had done in the past with Mounties?

rightleftin

Juniors
Having watched the Dragons feed players into a local comp, then later to the Metro Cup instead of Reserve Grade / NSW Cup, all I can say is that’s it’s a shocking idea. The jump in talent from playing in the local comp or RMC/Presidents Cup to 1st Grade is huge. The players dominate the lower comp, then get dominated in 1st Grade when called up.

Would Canberra not be better trying to partner with one of the bigger local teams like Queanbeyan Whites or Gunghalin Bulls to field a NSW Cup team? Similar to what they had done in the past with Mounties?

I recall that 4 of the 17 that played for St George in the NRL Quarter final in 2008 played Jim Beam Cup for Shellharbour during that season.

I recall that 4 of the 17 that played for St George in the NRL Quarter final in 2008 played Jim Beam Cup for Shellharbour during that season.
Correct. There were issues with JBC players moving back down after playing 1st Grade, if I remember due to the player point system in place. For example, Wendell Sailor made his comeback with Shellharbour in a game against the WA Reds, but after playing 1st Grade he had to go play for Burleigh Bears when dropped instead because his point value was far too high.

Tigers1986

Juniors
So expect the draw in March lol. The other year it was delayed and delayed so they could reveal Canterbury as their sponsor. Wonder who is stepping in now?

10 teams is interesting - 18 home and away and you'd think 5 "rivals" for 23 games?

ALX25

Bench

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So expect the draw in March lol.
Not to get back on this wagon again but I feel as though the draw is nowhere near as important anymore given the impact of COVID? Like it'll be handy if it's out earlier but if it's not... not a big deal?

Tigers1986

Juniors
Getting back on a wagon, I notice that the QRL has released all of their draws.

NSWRL, we play the waiting game. With Channel 9 pulling coverage, you'd hope Fox come to the party and can assist with ease of scheduling for the comp

siv

First Grade
Interesting change after the recent talk of 3 grades returning on game days

Latest posts