What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Expansion Discussion

zombie jesus

Staff member
So at this stage, I’ve only got 14 players returning for next season and 20 off contract - we’ll probably tag Kamara, so 15 and 19 - how would that work for the wildcard round? I’d be basically protecting the whole roster?
I suppose so, yes, if we stick with the numbers.

The number of protected players is just a number I've thrown out, same as the wildcard picks. I'll have a look at the average roster numbers once we're done cutting and tagging and such and work out the actual numbers from there.

zombie jesus

Staff member
The thread is always open but I think we're pretty settled on how it's going to work. We'll work out the finer points when we pick things back up after the NFL draft.

nick87

Coach
Yeah i think there has been some good thought put into it and this set up should allow the expansion teams to build a decent squad and compete but protect what current owners have built too

Lets dance

BBE06921-045F-4813-8BDF-F77FC4F6E200.jpeg

*PRESS RELEASE*

The Haynesville Dreamweavers will NOT be bowing to societal pressures to change their proud name or mascot. There is simply too much history and culture encapsulated in the brand to be simply thrown away.

Rumours of Haynesville changing their mascot from the “Dreamweavers” to the “Wonder-Wallers” are scurrilous and untrue.

There will be no further comments at this stage.

nick87

Coach
View attachment 48225

*PRESS RELEASE*

The Haynesville Dreamweavers will NOT be bowing to societal pressures to change their proud name or mascot. There is simply too much history and culture encapsulated in the brand to be simply thrown away.

Rumours of Haynesville changing their mascot from the “Dreamweavers” to the “Wonder-Wallers” are scurrilous and untrue.

:D

skeepe

Immortal
View attachment 48225

*PRESS RELEASE*

That’s fair enough, the last time they were relevant is when Hayne was still playing anyway.

kurt faulk

Coach

i'm not sure protecting 5 players and then players on rookie contracts being automatically protected is gonna work. there'll be nobody left for the expansion teams.

we should just agree to the number of players you can protect and leave it at that.

FA3E92C8-E9FA-410C-8416-BC8BF87A14A3.jpeg

* PRESS RELEASE *

In light of the ongoing investigations of the Haynesville Dreamweavers franchise quarterback, DeShaun Watson, and his 22 seperate charges of sexual misconduct, the Haynesville Dreamweavers will indeed be bowing to societal pressures, flip-flopping and agreeing to change their name.

From this day forward we will be known as the:

Regional Football Team Mascots.

There will be no further questions.

zombie jesus

Staff member
We will confirm the expansion draft details after the FT/TT and renegotiation auctions.
Expansion draft will then begin before the rookie draft and UFA auction.

Mjp81

Juniors
Been reading through all of the suggestions here and have come to the conclusion that keeping the expansion draft as simple as possible seems the way to go. My suggestions (taken from existing comments):

Each new franchise gets to select one player each from every existing squad - O or D it doesn't matter (12 players each to kick off proceedings)

Each existing franchise gets to protect x amount of players - one flat number with no position designations - what this is TBC - my initial stab in the dark is 6 each

New franchises take on existing contracts of the players they select - salary and years (this is a huge component of the game and allows the new franchises to set themselves up to make up ground on the other squads in FA)

Rookie contracts are not protected automatically - each team protects x amount of players regardless of status

Happy for new teams to take slots 1 and 2 in the rookie draft - maybe snake this for them each round?

Once expansion draft is over, all remaining players on their respective squads stay there - ie not all leftovers go back to free agency. This means that those of us who signed shit deals don't get a free out and we either cop the player or take the cap hit when we cut them.

All taxi squad players are protected and not included in the quota of retained players per squad

New franchises get an extra pick at the end of rounds 3,4,5 and 6. That gives them a total of 16 extra players the other squads don't have and not a bad starting base heading into FA. The majority of existing squads have more than 18 currently on the roster, so even the thinnest of rosters end up with 16 players pre rookie draft. (based on squad estimates as of tonight).

These are just my suggestions taken from others previously in the thread. I'm flexible as to how this plays out and I think after year 1, if things were not done quite as even as we anticipated, then we extend the extra draft picks in the latter rounds for the new additions or offer some other proposal to even out the field perhaps?

zombie jesus

Staff member
Been reading through all of the suggestions here and have come to the conclusion that keeping the expansion draft as simple as possible seems the way to go. My suggestions (taken from existing comments):

Each new franchise gets to select one player each from every existing squad - O or D it doesn't matter (12 players each to kick off proceedings)

Each existing franchise gets to protect x amount of players - one flat number with no position designations - what this is TBC - my initial stab in the dark is 6 each

New franchises take on existing contracts of the players they select - salary and years (this is a huge component of the game and allows the new franchises to set themselves up to make up ground on the other squads in FA)

Rookie contracts are not protected automatically - each team protects x amount of players regardless of status

Happy for new teams to take slots 1 and 2 in the rookie draft - maybe snake this for them each round?

Once expansion draft is over, all remaining players on their respective squads stay there - ie not all leftovers go back to free agency. This means that those of us who signed shit deals don't get a free out and we either cop the player or take the cap hit when we cut them.

All taxi squad players are protected and not included in the quota of retained players per squad

New franchises get an extra pick at the end of rounds 3,4,5 and 6. That gives them a total of 16 extra players the other squads don't have and not a bad starting base heading into FA. The majority of existing squads have more than 18 currently on the roster, so even the thinnest of rosters end up with 16 players pre rookie draft. (based on squad estimates as of tonight).

These are just my suggestions taken from others previously in the thread. I'm flexible as to how this plays out and I think after year 1, if things were not done quite as even as we anticipated, then we extend the extra draft picks in the latter rounds for the new additions or offer some other proposal to even out the field perhaps?

Thanks for the thought you've put into that, all good suggestions, we'll probably go with something very similar to this.

zombie jesus

Staff member
What do you guys think of this? Trying to keep it simple.

For original owners: Protect 6 players + taxi squad. Nominate by the due date (TBD) or I'll select them for you.

For expansion teams: Expansion draft where the new teams take a player from each team, 2 full rounds.
If a team has less than 12 players available after protecting their players, expansion teams will have the option of an extra draft pick (3rd the first time, then 4th, then 5th etc.). They take on the current contract of the player.

Picks 1 & 2 at the top of each round of the rookie draft.

For original owners: 3rd round comp pick if the player taken from you was a top 10 player at their position according to average points per game in 2020.
4th round comp pick if the player taken from you was a top 11-20 player at their position according to average points per game in 2020.

So that will be 12 players or extra draft picks, the rookie draft will bring it up to 19, then the new teams can run riot in free agency with our other rebuilding teams.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Renegotiation auction is getting to the end, get your 6 protected players to me (email, PM, WhatsApp) as soon as you're ready. Taxi squad players are automatically protected.

nick87

Coach
Thunder Gun Express are protecting the following players:

- Saquon Barkley
- Joe Mixon
- Chase Claypool
- Amari Cooper
- Henry Ruggs
- Laviska Shenault

kurt faulk

Coach

diamond dogs keepers