What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Grand Final: Panthers V Souths

Or sides worked out how you attack. Close to the line sides always want to score. Penrith barely looked able to most the finals campaign.Just wasn't fluent. The attack struggled. But the defense was in fine form. Maybe best defensive effort in history of finals.
Towards the end we weren’t going for repeat sets if we were in the final 20metres. Earlier in the season Cleary or Luai would roll in a grabber, but in the finals they were happy to put up a mini bomb that landed 3 metres out or even due with the ball having gone through hands. Looked like a conscious effort not to give away 7 tackle sets.

Did make it harder for us to build pressure. Having said that we had plenty of half chances in all four finals game that were ending in tries earlier in the season and I think some of that had to do with the physicality of the entire season.

hindy111

Post Whore
Edwards not training. Cleary only has 20% of his ligaments attached on his shoulder. So very limited.
To'o was a season ending injury

3 key guys on very limited training affects attack

Yes. But you must factor in the opposition also.

Eels had no Mahoney and N.Brown also busted. Souths had no Latrel and Reynold wasn't 100% fit. This is NRL. By end of year it is rare any side is 100% fit.
This year it was the Storm who looked all fit. But in their semi final they lost Welch and B.Smith early in the game. It's luck also.

While Nathan is at the club I feel the Panthers will be strong. So the next 9-10 yrs they should be in the finals or close. You will have ups and downs.
Others will come and go. But 2022 I still think Panthers could go back to back. 2023 I expect them to drop off somewhat. Maybe have a mini rebuild like the Roosters are now. But I don't see them ever needing this 3 or 4yr re build while you have Nathan. It will be challenging for the title for a few years followed by a 1 or 2 yr build. I can see another 2 or 3 premierships in the next 10 yrs.

Iamback

Coach
Yes. But you must factor in the opposition also.

Eels had no Mahoney and N.Brown also busted. Souths had no Latrel and Reynold wasn't 100% fit. This is NRL. By end of year it is rare any side is 100% fit.
This year it was the Storm who looked all fit. But in their semi final they lost Welch and B.Smith early in the game. It's luck also.

While Nathan is at the club I feel the Panthers will be strong. So the next 9-10 yrs they should be in the finals or close. You will have ups and downs.
Others will come and go. But 2022 I still think Panthers could go back to back. 2023 I expect them to drop off somewhat. Maybe have a mini rebuild like the Roosters are now. But I don't see them ever needing this 3 or 4yr re build while you have Nathan. It will be challenging for the title for a few years followed by a 1 or 2 yr build. I can see another 2 or 3 premierships in the next 10 yrs.

How skinny were the 10m too? Teams more focused. It is why defence wins comps

The_Frog

First Grade
Like Steve Waugh to Herchelle Gibbs, I wonder if Nathan said something along the lines of "You just lost the premiership" to Walker.

Although, with 14 minutes still remaining, you wouldn't want to be giving Cody any additional motivation.

The_Frog

First Grade
What gets me about Walker, is his refusal to sing the national anthem, sadly that appears to be the common theme among some of the indigenous players.
It wasn't just him. It was about half the players from both sides. It is not compulsory for players to sing it.

DinkyDi

Juniors
If you can't see why they have a problem then you are part of the problem
I am far from the problem. We all are AUSTRALIAN's. Yes I realize that the indigenous people are at a disadvantaged, but, to call me apart of the problem shows your lack of understanding in this matter, not me.