What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Grand Final: Panthers V Souths

Dragons4me

Juniors
Hey boys and girls.
Just saw the news report about Crichton handing his game day boots to young supporter Ryan May. The look on this young boy's face was priceless. This is a happy memory he will carry for the rest of his life. I had a similar (but less memorable experience) 50 years ago with my Dragons hero at the time. I still remember it fondly to this day. What a lovely story. Stephen Chrighton. You are an absolute champion young man and clearly typical of this whole Panthers team. What a great story. You are so lucky to support a wonderful group of young men and I'm now considering swapping my allegiance? Is there room for one more in your group??

chrisD

Coach
How about "Lord Peter" give clubs like us a salary cap incentive to develop players.
Fletcher bought it up again today. I want to see some action.
It’s his job to cry poor us but the team to bring them through has advantage enough. No excuses.

Hey boys and girls.
Just saw the news report about Crichton handing his game day boots to young supporter Ryan May. The look on this young boy's face was priceless. This is a happy memory he will carry for the rest of his life. I had a similar (but less memorable experience) 50 years ago with my Dragons hero at the time. I still remember it fondly to this day. What a lovely story. Stephen Chrighton. You are an absolute champion young man and clearly typical of this whole Panthers team. What a great story. You are so lucky to support a wonderful group of young men and I'm now considering swapping my allegiance? Is there room for one more in your group??
Always room for more. And we won’t even ask you to give up on your beloved Dragons. Room on the bus for people who love good rugby league and good stories.

How about "Lord Peter" give clubs like us a salary cap incentive to develop players.
In theory it is a great idea but just imagine how it would be rorted. As of today, the Roosters would be claiming Teddy as a junior; sure he grew up in the Southwest and debuted for the Tiggers, but he watched an episode of Bondi Rescue as a kid..

Smug Panther

First Grade
In theory it is a great idea but just imagine how it would be rorted. As of today, the Roosters would be claiming Teddy as a junior; sure he grew up in the Southwest and debuted for the Tiggers, but he watched an episode of Bondi Rescue as a kid..
Overall any money going into developing kids is the way to go. Yes rorts will happen but it's the only way to get money into grass roots

Overall any money going into developing kids is the way to go. Yes rorts will happen but it's the only way to get money into grass roots
Is their really a problem getting money into grass roots? Every club has now developed or is developing pathways. Of course, there could always be more investment, but we are looking at a finite pie of funds.

If you provide salary cap dispensation for juniors it feeds an arms war for the best young talent; big bucks going to the best kids earlier and people investing more in scout networks. Might not have the desired impact.

Hooked

Juniors
Either a salary cap incentive for developing kids or clubs get paid a transfer fee by the poachers.
You want 17 strong teams you need more clubs developing. Otherwise the gap will widen.

The_Frog

First Grade
If we were at the bottom of the table and getting our players poached this would be a priority. But we've come 2nd then 1st. That would be considered incentive enough.

Transfer fees for players off contract were ruled unlawful over half a century ago.

maple_69

Bench
The other option to transfer fees and salary cap concessions for juniors is softer controls which they use in the States. Bring in a Restricted Free Agent & Unrestricted Free Agent status which then grants clubs with RFAs more protections around them within their first 3 years (whatever period makes sense) after hitting grade preventing other teams from just throwing big cash at them when they're young. Burton is the perfect example of a guy we could have kept on at a reasonable rate for a guy with 3 games experience for the next couple years without the threat of desperado clubs like the Dogs deciding to pay him $500K a year.

Kilkenny

Coach
I’ve enjoyed the last couple of days, even allowing for a two day hangover.

We were brilliant, just outstanding, everyone from all the players, the coaching staff, the support staff, everyone deserves credit.

Just when it seemed luck and fortune had deserted us we found a way to win.

Just outstanding, no other words to describe it.

Exsilium

First Grade
Watched the replay, the only thing I’ll say is that Kikau on the final play doesn’t even get near the ball with his foot. Being pedantic, that’s a penalty. 40m out and 15 in, you’d back Reynolds to kick it but it would take a special kind of f**kwit to blow that penalty.

Latest posts