What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2021 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

Nuke

Staff member
Is there any hope that this year the teams get a special Grand Final badge for their jerseys ... Or, like me, do we believe they will just get embroidered text between the logos like in recent years. :(

roofromoz

First Grade
View attachment 54394
I really really hope we wear this

The grand final shirt prominently shows it, which I took as a hint that it may happen.

2278-622.jpg

sempmrh

Juniors
Is there any hope that this year the teams get a special Grand Final badge for their jerseys ... Or, like me, do we believe they will just get embroidered text between the logos like in recent years. :(

It would take almost no effort for the NRL to produce heat press patches for the Grand Final jerseys. The AFL does this every year - same size as the existing AFL logo with a little extra underneath.

Nuke

Staff member
Exactly. A golden badge with black logo / text would look great on both Penrith and Souths jerseys, and it'd look special. Unlike the embroidered text which, let's face it, looks just the same as every player's debut jersey, or their milestone game jersey, and doesn't look like a Grand Final jersey. There's something special about seeing your team with that special Grand Final patch. Even those hideous huge white shields they had in the early 2000s.

GAZF

First Grade
Exactly. A golden badge with black logo / text would look great on both Penrith and Souths jerseys, and it'd look special. Unlike the embroidered text which, let's face it, looks just the same as every player's debut jersey, or their milestone game jersey, and doesn't look like a Grand Final jersey. There's something special about seeing your team with that special Grand Final patch. Even those hideous huge white shields they had in the early 2000s.
Invert the colours to gold/bronze on black and I agree.

Jtm22

Juniors
The white patches were my absolute favourite, I loved them haha. I hope they bring them back!

Nuke

Staff member

They just seemed unnecessarily excessive for the most part. Fair call for 2001, as the regular competition badge that year was the NRL logo with a separate Telstra Premiership logo above it, so it all took up some room, so a badge to cover it all would have been required, but for the few years afterwards? I don't think it was so needed. My problem, I suppose, with the big white badge was all the wasted space on there. Big badge, smallish (comparitively) logo on it.

But still better than the current trend of chest embroidery. Or even worse, I'm pretty sure Melbourne last year put their embroidery down the bottom corner of the jersey as they already had their sternum sponsor plus their 'V for Victoria' thing.

Jtm22

Juniors
Is there a sponsorship agreement with Souths regarding finals due to their separate home and away sponsors?
Must be. I always thought the rule of thumb with grand finals was who ever finished higher on the ladder wore their home jersey. Lame as hell as well they still have the shit embroidery. Every other code seems to celebrate a big event so much better and we have just gone backwards.

Latest posts