What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2021 Judiciary Charges

How many weeks for Mitchell

Votes: 1 3.3%

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • 4+

Votes: 27 90.0%

• Total voters
Surprised Radley didnt get a week. It was an open handed clothes line that didnt miss. I thought we were going to get serious on foul play that can add to the concussion problem? Mitchell deserved it, total grub in that game.

Your club doesn’t appear to be serious about concussion.

Zadar

Juniors
Surprised Radley didnt get a week. It was an open handed clothes line that didnt miss. I thought we were going to get serious on foul play that can add to the concussion problem? Mitchell deserved it, total grub in that game.

but it did miss, as Munster and the storm openly admitted.

I think Latrells was a bit harsh though.

Valheru

Coach
Looked at in isolation, the three rulings last night are reasonable enough in my book (though a week for Radley would have been reasonable too).

I believe a week was reasonable however under the current system that doesn't seem to be possible as grade 1 high contact is a fine only now.

This was brought in place so that players didn't miss important games for minor incidences.

The_Frog

First Grade
The whole problem is that one week wasn't an option. It was 0 weeks or 3 for Radley, likewise for Momirovski and 1 or 4 for Mitchell (only because he also had two fines and priors). Going from a fine to 300 base in one step is quite daft, IMHO.

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
Momo's hit on Dearden is worth 3 weeks after the fact, but not even a penalty on the night. #penaltybroncos?
Three weeks is very harsh. His club thought even two weeks was harsh hence they challenged the grading. I believe it wasn't penalised because both the ref and the bunker saw that initial contact was with the shoulder.

It is even more harsh because he'll struggle to get back his position in first grade ahead of Burton when he returns.

yobbo84

First Grade
The whole problem is that one week wasn't an option. It was 0 weeks or 3 for Radley, likewise for Momirovski and 1 or 4 for Mitchell (only because he also had two fines and priors). Going from a fine to 300 base in one step is quite daft, IMHO.
'Dangerous contact - head/neck' was meant to be for crushers etc, which is why the base points are high. It's a dumb charge for a late tackle.

That happened when they "simplified" the judiciary charge gradings a few years back. It went from Grade 1 (at the lowest end) up to Grade 5 (at the highest), whereas now there are only Grade 1 (lowest) to Grade 3 (highest).

siv

First Grade
Wonder which clubs have the greatest success in getting downgrades at the judiciary over the last few years?

Delboy

First Grade
I think we have learnt never to be surprised when players from favoured clubs get downgrades or found innocent.

Rod

Bench
For me the majority of media discourse (which then drips down to the fans) on these suspensions is worthless because so many pundits start with the different suspension lengths, with all of the loading already taken into account, and work backwards e.g. Gus Gould having a big bitch about how Mitchell got 4 weeks and Radley got 0. These guys never start with the initial charge and then discuss the merits of that charge. The Radley and Mitchell incidents are completely different and you will never get "consistency" between these incidents (TBH, one of the only people I've heard repeatedly hammer this point home is Paul Kent, of all people).

The simple fact is that Mitchell elbowed a bloke in the head and if he had a clean rap sheet he would have got 2 weeks, which is more than fair - it's totally disingenuous to bleat about how Mitchell got 4 and Radley got 0 as if they are in any way related.

blaza88z

Coach
I reckon Frank Ponissi coming out and saying he barely got him and all that has definitely played a role, reminded me of the 2015 prelim when Hodges was cited but the Roosters' player actually came out and defended him

siv

First Grade
Where are our srats gurus we need a list of

# of Charges
# of judicary downgrades
# weeks suspended

by Club

For the last 2 seasons

# of Charges highlights who is the grubbiest team

While # of weeks highlights who gets the best result from the MRC / Judiciary

I reckon Frank Ponissi coming out and saying he barely got him and all that has definitely played a role, reminded me of the 2015 prelim when Hodges was cited but the Roosters' player actually came out and defended him

No doubt, that helped a lot. Don’t know who was on the judiciary panel but I’m assuming Sean Garlick wasn’t on it, which would’ve also helped.