What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2021 Judiciary Charges

How many weeks for Mitchell

Votes: 1 3.3%

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • 4+

Votes: 27 90.0%

• Total voters

Valheru

Coach
Paulo should have gone too. But two wrongs don’t make a right. They both should have got 1-2 weeks

Problem is there is no such thing as 1 week (0 with an early plea and no carry over points) for a careless high tackle charge anymore. It is either grade 1 which is a fine or grade 2 and above which is 200 base points or more.

They need to look at some of these base penalties in the off season. Grade 1 crusher is another that is ridiculously high.

soc123_au

Staff member
Problem is there is no such thing as 1 week (0 with an early plea and no carry over points) for a careless high tackle charge anymore. It is either grade 1 which is a fine or grade 2 and above which is 200 base points or more.

They need to look at some of these base penalties in the off season. Grade 1 crusher is another that is ridiculously high.
This is the problem. They react to a perceived issue with penalties that are too harsh to fit every level of the crime. That just causes the inconsistencies we see now in who gets charged with what. The Souffs bloke that copped 2 weeks for a crusher was no worse than what Yeo didnt get charged for. Neither were worthy of a suspension as there was no force or malice in either of them, but Yeo gets off and the lesser light cops the suspension so the NRL can look like they are being tough. If it was pre 2020 Yeo making the same tackle today I guarantee he sits out for 2 weeks, because even though he was just as important to Penrith then as he is now, he wasn't seen as a top liner outside of his team and fan base.

It's nothing new though. For years it pissed me off no end that any Panthers player did anything they copped the full brunt of the mrc and judiciary. Now that we are considered a "good club" outside our own circle I've been pleasantly surprised more than a few times when the charges are released the day after games. We still dont get a lot of luck with getting off at the judiciary, but there are other factors at play there (I'm looking at you Ivan QC) I remember Luke Lewis copping a suspension over a nothing incident as a sacrificial lamb so they could let Hayne off a blatant headbutt charge just before Origin, it's a f**king joke, but they dont have the guts to fix it.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Paulo should have gone too. But two wrongs don’t make a right. They both should have got 1-2 weeks
It is inconceivable that Paulo's tackle could be considered Grade 1 and Verrill's Grade 2. The outcome is quite irrelevant, the point is that Paulo launched with his shoulder, with force and the point of contact was the head. It was much closer to the Latrell Mitchell tackle imho. To see this receiving just a fine is in complete contradiction of the notion of being serious about protecting the head.

Verrills pretty much holds his ground and caught Kelly's nose as Kelly was tackled low and fell onto Verrills shoulder when on his way down. It was always going to attract a charge but how the same group of people can look at these 2 tackles and consider Paulo's grade 1 and Verrill's grade 2 is incredulous.

I refuse to believe that these people can be this incompetent and it is pretty much on a weekly basis. It stinks and the whole process needs to be overhauled. Strangely I find the judiciary to be much more balanced but they can only deal with the cards they are dealt with. They can't even do anything about the Paulo tackle.

yobbo84

First Grade
Based on what has happened throughout this year, with so much emphasis on outcome/injury, you can't break someone's nose with a high tackle and get a Grade 1 - accident or not.

Bazal

Post Whore
It is inconceivable that Paulo's tackle could be considered Grade 1 and Verrill's Grade 2. The outcome is quite irrelevant, the point is that Paulo launched with his shoulder, with force and the point of contact was the head. It was much closer to the Latrell Mitchell tackle imho. To see this receiving just a fine is in complete contradiction of the notion of being serious about protecting the head.

Verrills pretty much holds his ground and caught Kelly's nose as Kelly was tackled low and fell onto Verrills shoulder when on his way down. It was always going to attract a charge but how the same group of people can look at these 2 tackles and consider Paulo's grade 1 and Verrill's grade 2 is incredulous.

I refuse to believe that these people can be this incompetent and it is pretty much on a weekly basis. It stinks and the whole process needs to be overhauled. Strangely I find the judiciary to be much more balanced but they can only deal with the cards they are dealt with. They can't even do anything about the Paulo tackle.

Paulo was nowhere near the head nor leading with a shoulder. It was going to be a normal tackle until a bloke slammed the Knights player from the side and totally changed his direction, causing his head to hit Paulo's left shoulder in a right shoulder tackle.

Hope that helps

Paulo was nowhere near the head nor leading with a shoulder. It was going to be a normal tackle until a bloke slammed the Knights player from the side and totally changed his direction, causing his head to hit Paulo's left shoulder in a right shoulder tackle.

Hope that helps
Not sure about that Baz
1631566591252.jpeg

Verrills is at least front-on with arms in wrapping motion.
1631567010896.jpeg
In both cases a defender comes in from the side causing the ball runner to fall into the shoulder. You could argue both were going to be normal tackles before impact. I’m still puzzled by the different grading. The Paulo tackle has only given us an argument for a downgrade when both should be having a spell. Well, in V’landys era anyway.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
Not sure about that Baz
View attachment 53904

Verrills is at least front-on with arms in wrapping motion.
View attachment 53905
In both cases a defender comes in from the side causing the ball runner to fall into the shoulder. You could argue both were going to be normal tackles before impact. I’m still puzzled by the different grading. The Paulo tackle has only given us an argument for a downgrade when both should be having a spell. Well, in V’landys era anyway.
The Paulo tackle doesn't even give us an argument for incorrect grading because you can only reference other tackles that have actually gone to the judiciary for comparison/precedence.

The Paulo tackle doesn't even give us an argument for incorrect grading because you can only reference other tackles that have actually gone to the judiciary for comparison/precedence.
Ah, I see. So I take it they’ve found a precedent somewhere otherwise it would be dumb to challenge it.

Seriously that will do me. The judiciary is s joke

Verrils never leads with shoulder or swings into the contact. He simply stands still and Kelly runs into him.

Those clowns that compared it to Latrells tackle give yourself an uppercut. Latrell charged recklessly into the tackle with a swinging arm motion. Totally reckless.

2 weeks for that. FMD Kaufusi got two weeks for putting Matterson out for weeks.

I guess the NRL will finally knock the Roosters out one way or another

lockyno1

Post Whore
Was never getting a downgrade with the injury

After shouting from heaven and earth that Mitchell deserved more for the injury caused…apparently it’s fine to break the Titans player nose and for there to be a downgrade…Can’t have it both ways