What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 360 + other footy shows

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So reading between the lines, you think that Morris was treated unfairly but the Eels should sack BA immediately?
Oh no not at all, we need stability and and and I’m not sure what else Bushy brings :thinking:

I just think it’s funny and kinda sad that a club like the Sharks have higher standards than ours....

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Oh no not at all, we need stability and and and I’m not sure what else Bushy brings :thinking:

I just think it’s funny and kinda sad that a club like the Sharks have higher standards than ours....
So we must have had super f**king high standards when we churned through all of those coaches before BA.

#DumbHineyLogic

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So we must have had super f**king high standards when we churned through all of those coaches before BA.

#DumbHineyLogic
Anderson deserved to see out his contract, and Smiths time was up but we just replaced him with the wrong bloke. Hagan walked because he couldn’t handle it anymore, Kearney also walked he knew he wasn’t up to it but somehow landed another gig and Stuart pissed off on us.

It’s not like we just continually sacked coaches for the fun of it. But the Sharks have decided rightly it wrongly that Morris isn’t capable of taking them to a premiership (harsh IMO) We on the other hand are only too happy to hand out new contracts after getting pumped by 60 to a coach who had just won the spoon. The Sharks are rolling the dice because they know a club like theirs has to and Fitzgibbon is a big name has a good pedigree and is also involved heavily in the NSW set up it might land them some players. Who knows he might be shithouse but at least they are willing to have a crack while we sit at the table with a pair of 4’s and wonder why we never seem to be a threat when it matters..........

Gronk

Staff member
Anderson deserved to see out his contract, and Smiths time was up but we just replaced him with the wrong bloke. Hagan walked because he couldn’t handle it anymore, Kearney also walked he knew he wasn’t up to it but somehow landed another gig and Stuart pissed off on us.

It’s not like we just continually sacked coaches for the fun of it. But the Sharks have decided rightly it wrongly that Morris isn’t capable of taking them to a premiership (harsh IMO) We on the other hand are only too happy to hand out new contracts after getting pumped by 60 to a coach who had just won the spoon. The Sharks are rolling the dice because they know a club like theirs has to and Fitzgibbon is a big name has a good pedigree and is also involved heavily in the NSW set up it might land them some players. Who knows he might be shithouse but at least they are willing to have a crack while we sit at the table with a pair of 4’s and wonder why we never seem to be a threat when it matters..........

Good pedigree ? BA was Storm's development coach in 2007, inaugural Holden Cup coach (won GF in 2009), Was Bellamy's assistant coach until 2011 when he was appointed Eels caretaker coach. Went to Many and was Toovey's assistant coach (2013 runners-up).

Adam O'Brien has probably a better pedigree yet the Knights are shit. Just shows that you need the squad and ability to attract players.

Do you think that BA can attract players ?

84 Baby

Referee
FMD is it really that difficult?
The calculation simply is there another coach who is more likely to be definitely more successful in the foreseeable future than BA? Which at the moment would be Bellamy & Robinson. Anyone else requires deeper calculation. Much deeper than the likes of hiney is of wont to go.
The club then has to weigh that up against the cost of retaining/cutting BA.

I think Fitzgibbon has potential but not enough to throw a potential grenade in to our place.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Good pedigree ? BA was Storm's development coach in 2007, inaugural Holden Cup coach (won GF in 2009), Was Bellamy's assistant coach until 2011 when he was appointed Eels caretaker coach. Went to Many and was Toovey's assistant coach (2013 runners-up).

Adam O'Brien has probably a better pedigree yet the Knights are shit. Just shows that you need the squad and ability to attract players.

Do you think that BA can attract players ?
Knights have about 1000 out and they made the finals last year, hardly shown he’s a dud. It’s not like he’s won a spoon with a squad predicted to challenge for a title.

And BA had no problem attracting players when we were cheating and throwing silly overs at players. But I think on the whole he has recruited well in his time here it’s one of his strengths. It’s his tactics and refusal to change things up and also his refusal to surround himself with top quality assist coaches. it’s his biggest weakness as a coach and the main reason we are unable to get to the next level. Bennett sacked club greats Lazarus and Walters the next season he won a comp. BA is far too loyal to players and his staff while loyalty can be a great quality in a person in the ruthless world of sport it can be a massive weakness.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The notion that BA is irreplaceable is totally laughable, look what a gomer like Griffen has achieved in a short space of time at the Dragons.

We have been all told with our HOF, and that our football department is in great order and a change in coach shouldn’t be seen as a big deal as it once was. BA has this season IMO and if he can’t make a serious dent with this squad he just can’t be allowed to waste another season while our premiership window closes in our face.

84 Baby

Referee
The notion that BA is irreplaceable is totally laughable, look what a gomer like Griffen has achieved in a short space of time at the Dragons.
Whiney wants us to sign Anthony Griffen you heard it here first.

We have been all told with our HOF, and that our football department is in great order and a change in coach shouldn’t be seen as a big deal as it once was. BA has this season IMO
This is more reasonable. Unless Robinson (f**k Bellamy) turns around and says he really really wants to coach us then BA is going to 100% see out this season.
IMO if we get markedly worse, BA may not be here at start of season.
If we stay same, next season he’s basically a caretaker coach and may not see our season.
If we go a step better, it saves him for next season but there’s no extension discussions.
If we win, then there’s potentially extension discussions.
Either way there’s no point whinging about it in week 5 this year.

and if he can’t make a serious dent with this squad he just can’t be allowed to waste another season while our premiership window closes in our face.
If we change coach haphazardly midseason that window definitely closes.

I think the likely scenario so long as we don’t go to absolute poo, he sees out most of contract and Ryan Carr steps up at some point next year depending on results.

Gazzamatta

Coach
People have short memories. Remember when Penrith sacked their coach whilst they were travelling well in 3rd, 4 weeks out from the semis ?

It seems that the media (like everyone) are pissed bc Bomber was a nice guy. Kearney, Mcgregor, Green, Pay are all nice guys too.
How the he'll else are they to make a coaching change? I'm warming to Kent. He calls a spade a shovel. From an outsiders perspective the Gummys hierarchy are doing everything they can to improve. They aren't satisfied to stagnate. They are owning their issues . They chased Bellamy hard and have now identified "potentially" the two best young coaches in the game. Bravo Cronulla. Staying still is going backwards in the NRL. I wish them luck for having the balls to make decisions and not pat themselves on the back for making the semis the previous two years. Stability is good but not just for the sake of it as is change. The correct balance is required.

Last edited:

strider

Post Whore

We have been all told with our HOF, and that our football department is in great order and a change in coach shouldn’t be seen as a big deal as it once was. BA has this season IMO and if he can’t make a serious dent with this squad he just can’t be allowed to waste another season while our premiership window closes in our face.
Its funny, cos Griffen and his dragons were shit until they beat us - "easy wins over poor opposition" ... "if we dont beat them we suck" ....... now Griifen has achieved plenty in his few games

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

It’s a panic move by the Sharks and the communication was handled deplorably.

I’m glad we’ve become more stable and less impulsive.

We’ve had plenty of chats about who you replace BA with but I don’t think anyone has come up with any (realistic) good options.

Much easier to bitch and moan I suppose...

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
1. No-one has said that BS is irreplaceable.

2. Far too early to jizz over the Dragons at this stage. If they become finals contenders (and there is still a question mark over this) then all he has done is replicated what BA has already done at the eels.

3. To go to the next level there are arguably only a handful of coaches that could take us there imo. Bellamy, Robinson, Bennett....that’s what we should be aiming for, not Peter Griffin or Craig Fitzg@ybon.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Its funny, cos Griffen and his dragons were shit until they beat us - "easy wins over poor opposition" ... "if we dont beat them we suck" ....... now Griifen has achieved plenty in his few games
The amount of bullshit flip floppery is hilarious.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
How the he'll else are they to make a coaching change? I'm warming to Kent. He calls a spade a shovel. From an outsiders perspective the Gummys hierarchy are doing everything they can to improve. They aren't satisfied to stagnate. They are owning their issues . They chased Bellamy hard and have now identified "potentially" the two best young coaches in the game. Bravo Cronulla. Staying still is going backwards in the NRL. I wish them luck for having the balls to make decisions and not pat themselves on the back for making the semis the previous two years. Stability is good but not just for the sake of it as is change. The correct balance is required.
Much easier to go from fringe finalists to the Top 4. I wish them luck in that endeavour.

Very hard imo to go from Top 4 to genuine premiership contenders.

I don’t think there is a lot to be gleaned from the Sharks when it comes to Parra. They are at very different stages of development as a football side.

strider

Post Whore
I don't have a big problem with the Sharks changing coaches .... their choice - happens all the time.

I think Morris has done ok with what he got presented with.

I think alot of people's problems with the Sharks isn't Morris in isolation - the Sharks have rissoled heaps of people in recent times. .... and I'm in no position to say if those were good or bad decisions.

I think Fitzgibbon is probably a good replacement .... though no one knows if he will or won't be good. Been PLENTY of seemingly solid assistants who have struggled to be the big cheese.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It’s a panic move by the Sharks and the communication was handled deplorably.

I’m glad we’ve become more stable and less impulsive.

We’ve had plenty of chats about who you replace BA with but I don’t think anyone has come up with any (realistic) good options.

Much easier to bitch and moan I suppose...
I agree it was handled horribly and Morris was treated very harshly, but those at the club obviously believe he is not capable of taking them to the next level. We have an 8 year coach who has shown me absolutely nothing to say he can take us to that next level. He is continually outcoached and still struggles to juggle his bench and interchanges. Oh well it’s a learning kerb for poor Bushy give him another 3 or 4 seasons and he just may nail it......

stability god damn it!!!

strider

Post Whore
I'm wondering - why was it handled horribly/harshly?

what could they have done better? ...... it played out in the media as harsh purely because many like Morris and think he has done a good job - but thats a matter of opinion ..... but how else would a club go about changing coaches?

Gronk

Staff member
I don't have a big problem with the Sharks changing coaches .... their choice - happens all the time.

I think Morris has done ok with what he got presented with.

I think alot of people's problems with the Sharks isn't Morris in isolation - the Sharks have rissoled heaps of people in recent times. .... and I'm in no position to say if those were good or bad decisions.

I think Fitzgibbon is probably a good replacement .... though no one knows if he will or won't be good. Been PLENTY of seemingly solid assistants who have struggled to be the big cheese.

I worry for these coaches who are labelled as the "next big thing". Dean Pay was the guy that everyone expected big things of and he ended up in the dumpster.

Latest posts