What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 360 + other footy shows

Cloeel

Juniors
Yeah they laid the boot in to George Williams. Whether it's legit or just a ruse to let him out of his contract, Williams has played the mental health wellbeing card to accelerate his departure... Those blokes on the panel tonight might as well have called him a bullshit artist straight up, it's clear they don't believe Williams is struggling mentally... Nor do I for that matter, but it's dangerous ground to go casting aspersions on it publicly. I doubt they'd be as critical if it was a different player playing at a club not being coached by their bestie Mr Ricky Stuart...

Surely the NRL are going to request a "Please explain" from NRL 360.

It did not look good how they were carrying on.

84 Baby

Referee
Poor Victor Sadley won’t be able to play Origin.
I mean that was regardless of suspension anyhow.

Gronk

Staff member
Back to the Immortal discussion. I'd like to throw Mick Cronin's name into the ring. Represented Australia while stile playing for Gerringong. Only started playing in Sydney at 26 years old. 7 grand finals and 4 premierships in 10 seasons including the 77 replay. Held every point scoring record for nearly 20 years.

Yeah dunno what you have to do to get recognition. Ray Price and Sterlo the same for me. Mal & Joey above them ? They were big mistakes. Premature if anything.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Back to the Immortal discussion. I'd like to throw Mick Cronin's name into the ring. Represented Australia while stile playing for Gerringong. Only started playing in Sydney at 26 years old. 7 grand finals and 4 premierships in 10 seasons including the 77 replay. Held every point scoring record for nearly 20 years.

Yup fair point

As mentioned there is Price, Kenny and Sterlo as well who have serious claims

Looking outside the blue and gold box, there is a ton of others

Ben Elias totally changed the way a hooker is played attack wise, and under the old scrum rules
Never winning comps so will never be considered

Glen Lazarus was the best front rower I have ever seen (Haas may take over that one day)
He went 80 min, tough as anyone and skillful when needed, won 5 comps at 3 different clubs, Raiders, Broncos, Storm

Brad Clyde was insane. Workaholic in the Ray Price mould but was bigger and fitter.
Very under rated

Despite our devoted love for Ricky Stuart, he was a gun half back with an outstanding kicking game, Raiders fell in a heap when he was out. Dynamite for NSW, Saved Australia's bacon at times, and has won a comp as well as coach

Gronk

Staff member
Yup fair point

As mentioned there is Price, Kenny and Sterlo as well who have serious claims

Looking outside the blue and gold box, there is a ton of others

Ben Elias totally changed the way a hooker is played attack wise, and under the old scrum rules
Never winning comps so will never be considered

Glen Lazarus was the best front rower I have ever seen (Haas may take over that one day)
He went 80 min, tough as anyone and skillful when needed, won 5 comps at 3 different clubs, Raiders, Broncos, Storm

Brad Clyde was insane. Workaholic in the Ray Price mould but was bigger and fitter.
Very under rated

Despite our devoted love for Ricky Stuart, he was a gun half back with an outstanding kicking game, Raiders fell in a heap when he was out. Dynamite for NSW, Saved Australia's bacon at times, and has won a comp as well as coach
Agree. Do we have an inflated view of our glory days ? If Cronin, Price, Sterlo or Kenny are worthy of immortality, does that mean that Steve Mortimer or Terry Lamb are too ? As you said, Benny, Lazo and Clyde were just as influential.

Incorrect

Coach
Ray Price for me stands above all others. And I'm probably about as big a Bert fan as you'll find. But there's no denying the impact Price had as soon as he joined the club and the difference it made when he retired. We made 7 grand finals in his 11 seasons. Just 2 (losing) GF's since he retired 35 years ago.... I think that speaks volumes

TheRam

Coach
Agree. Do we have an inflated view of our glory days ? If Cronin, Price, Sterlo or Kenny are worthy of immortality, does that mean that Steve Mortimer or Terry Lamb are too ? As you said, Benny, Lazo and Clyde were just as influential.

No they are not. Sterlo and Kenny kept them out of rep sides all the time at their peak. Great players, but not immortal class. If you were to make them immortals, then you may as well throw in Cliffy Lyons too. Sure a wizard with the ball at times, but could never crack the rep scene while Kenny was at his peak.

Benny may have an argument, maybe, but as you said never won a comp and then Walters came quickly on the scene and Buderus too who were very easily of the same quality and then the GOAT who blew them all away. Also as good as Clyde was, he had way to much of an injury riddled career to really set his claim as an immortal. and as for Lazo, well maybe a little to one dimensional with ball in hand skill level wise for a front rower, but one hell of a go forward merkin.

I've got no doubt Williams was being a merkin but Hooper should be on the Canberra payroll the way he's portraying this. As if Canberra cut him out of respect for his own welfare.

Noise

Coach
Ikin and Lara (even Hooper to a degree) were right in saying there is obviously something wrong with the environment at Canberra that goes back to John Bateman wanting out last year through to all the dramas this year and it falls on the coach and CEO. Kent sticking up for his mate wasn't having a bar of it. Idiot.

Last edited: