What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 NRL Grand Final

no name

Coach
No it's the preliminary final on the 25 September.

The AFL haven't changed the date only the time because it's being played in Perth.

They announced it a week before the NRL confirmed their venues, times so it's not like they didn't know.

If this game involves the Storm, it's another case of the NRL self sabotaging.
Wow, I didn’t realise the AFL were having a week off between the prelims and GF.
It’s still the AFL that has changed their regular time. They probably wanted to take the NRL on with their GF v our Prelim.
I reckon that they will leave it at night time going forward.
The NRL will likely put the Storm prelim on the Friday if they make it.

Canard

Immortal
Wow, I didn’t realise the AFL were having a week off between the prelims and GF.
It’s still the AFL that has changed their regular time. They probably wanted to take the NRL on with their GF v our Prelim.
I reckon that they will leave it at night time going forward.
The NRL will likely put the Storm prelim on the Friday if they make it.

The AFL changed the start time because the game is in Perth. This will make the 2nd nightime GF in a row for them (the last one in Brisbane).

The AFL is keen as mustard for a nightime GF for sure, but have to bullshit that they "love tradition" and will keep daytime (when Covid is over).

Considering both Melbourne and Sydney will be in lockdown this was a chance for a ratings bonanza for the NRL, but now they will get murdered against the AFL GF. Shit even this Friday night is a dumb call having the storm up against the AFL prelim final.

no name

Coach
The AFL changed the start time because the game is in Perth. This will make the 2nd nightime GF in a row for them (the last one in Brisbane).

The AFL is keen as mustard for a nightime GF for sure, but have to bullshit that they "love tradition" and will keep daytime (when Covid is over).

Considering both Melbourne and Sydney will be in lockdown this was a chance for a ratings bonanza for the NRL, but now they will get murdered against the AFL GF. Shit even this Friday night is a dumb call having the storm up against the AFL prelim final.
Perth was a cop out for changing the time. They were always going to change it with lockdown on.
And they did change it to clash with the NRL, not vice versa.

Canard

Immortal
Perth was a cop out for changing the time. They were always going to change it with lockdown on.
Not sure that's relevant though is it?

Surely its best to avoid your games exposure and ratings potential by having this clash?

Like it or not, its a event as big as Melbourne Cup and to clash with it is not smart.

seanoff

Juniors
No Canard is right. The AFL and 7 want a night GF, have for years. With the stadium in Perth they have a lighting solution that allows for special effects in game, as well as team colours on the roof, exterior etc. and the entertainment works better at night, the GF last year was proof of concept for the AFL.

They played with where the bye is this year. in the past few years its been the week beween the end of the regular season and the finals. this year they've gone the NFL model and are having the week off before the GF.

they havent played with the date of the GF just the time.

Saint Doc

Coach
Joel Caine made a good point- no one cares about prelim finals ratings. It’s all about Grand Final ratings. Hopefully NRL can put a decent dint in AFL GF ratings. It will obviously win by a long way. But if 600k plus are watching NRL prelim, they’re all eyeballs that probably otherwise would have begrudging watched AFL

no name

Coach
No Canard is right. The AFL and 7 want a night GF, have for years. With the stadium in Perth they have a lighting solution that allows for special effects in game, as well as team colours on the roof, exterior etc. and the entertainment works better at night, the GF last year was proof of concept for the AFL.

They played with where the bye is this year. in the past few years its been the week beween the end of the regular season and the finals. this year they've gone the NFL model and are having the week off before the GF.

they havent played with the date of the GF just the time.
I never argued against the fact that the AFL wanted to change to a night time GF.
My point was that the the NRL didn’t make any changes, so it was the AFL who caused the clash.
You can’t really blame the NRL for scheduling a prelim clash with the AFL GF because the NRL did what they always do. The AFL have been wanting to change to night, and even did so last year, but it was never official that they will always have night time GFs from now on, and as far as I know it still isn’t.
I’m not sure how my point was missed.
The NRL shouldn’t be waiting around to see wait the AFL are doing in order to plan their finals either.

JamesRustle

First Grade
I want a repeat of the 2009 GF, where Storm wins, then gets stripped of there recent successes 6 months later... and the best Parra player of the year ends up in the slammer 11.5 years later.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Mate good on him. And for the avoidance of any doubt - I’m not poking sticks at Pete Murray. Like Amy Shark, they are a great performer in their own right, highly talented and I’ve got nothing bad to say about them.

It’s the thought process of whoever at the NRL believed that performers with a style like theirs befits the atmosphere of a grand final.

I was at the 2005GF (bloody dragons) and quite honestly can say that it was the most docile atmosphere (during n after his performance) I’ve been in at any game with a significant crowd… and especially a GF. And especially with plenty of Tigers fans that hadn’t seen a win since man walked on the moon.

Its funny, i was over at Kirribilli one day and they were having a local clean up, someone on their front fence had a stack of CD's with a sign free to a good home, i went through them and took a few, one of them was a Pete Murray album, played the album when i got home and it was so boring, i ended up taking it to one of the local op shops later on. I do like Pete Murray as an artist but this CD put me to sleep.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Well for the 2013 GF many people criticised the choice of Ricky Martin and Jessica Mauboy for the pre-match entertainment, but they rocked it at the ground and had people jumping.

That was one of the best Grand Final entertainment sets i have seen. I rolled my eyes when i first heard Ricky Martin was performing but the whole set was so full of energy and it rocked the whole ground, just about everyone i saw including me were up dancing and rocking around, i loved the bit where Jessica Mauboy popped up in the middle of the stage during the set to join Ricky.

Geez i just goosebumps watching that again.