What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 PF 1 Sat - Melbourne 6-10 Penrith @ Suncorp

Finals Week 3: Melbourne v Penrith

• Melbourne Storm

Votes: 28 57.1%
  • Penrith Panthers

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

reanimate

Bench
Grant has a tendency to overplay his hand. And when it’s not working out, he does it even more. He wasn’t on the same page as his teammates, and they had no idea where he was going to do.

Dare I say it, the steadying influence of C.Smith is what they needed yesterday.
Any Smith would have done. The Cheese > Harry Grant.

I wonder if Ivan will use the very public comment from Renno that he expected to play the storm in the grand final to motivate his side.

Forget the form of either side v each other this year. They are both well and truly capable of flogging each other.

And neither coach is dumb enough to deploy any past tactic.

Two fresh sides with fresh game plans.

None of the statistical rubbish that because Renno laced up his boot from the left side in 2014 v Cowboys, he has the edge over Cleary.

Hopefully both teams play above and beyond for this grand final and the officials don’t screw it for either of them.

I plead guilty to writing off the smug v storm but in all of the circumstances, bar the eels refereeing debacle, they deserve to be there.

A tough and resilient side, extremely well coached. Much better equipped across all material facets to take the title as compared to last years flight of fancy.

Last edited:

yobbo84

First Grade
I do enjoy the fact that we have somehow continued to be underdogs despite being 22 and 4 this year and the best team statistically since Round 12.

I mean Penrith are still a better side, but not by much at all. Certainly nowhere near the gap predicted by all since Latrell got suspended.

The only question mark I have about us is our ability to get down and dirty in the wrestling free-for-all that Sutton allowed yesterday. Penrith have shown they can. It's been our weak spot for years. If we can, I'm confident we have enough points in us.

I do enjoy the fact that we have somehow continued to be underdogs despite being 22 and 4 this year and the best team statistically since Round 12.

I mean Penrith are still a better side, but not by much at all. Certainly nowhere near the gap predicted by all since Latrell got suspended.

The only question mark I have about us is our ability to get down and dirty in the wrestling free-for-all that Sutton allowed yesterday. Penrith have shown they can. It's been our weak spot for years. If we can, I'm confident we have enough points in us.
I put the true odds at 50/50.

That’s the nice thing about this contest.

Everything into the wash, I can’t pick the winner.

Both at the height of their salary cap windows etc. Best coaches ( but for Bea Arthur, maybe Holbrook ).

And as I’ve said, Latrell is too misty in the head to risk. Being sent off in the first 10 minutes of a gf is nothing to him. Tafe is much better as he’s a proper team player that Bennett demands.

You should consider sacking Latrell for doing his best and utmost to f**k your season. He can join Barrett and his “Robin Hood and his band of merry men” squad at the dogs. Still lost in Sherwood Forest until they found us and beat footy daylights out us. Then they all got sacked lol. They should have lost against us and been picked up!

If I was Trent, I’d put him straight into the front row. They need forwards. He’d find a nice home there.

Having Lats out means Ivan doesn’t have to risk a player taking him out etc. That could be the smoking gun in favour of smug when I think about it.

Last edited:

chrisD

Coach
2019 - Bellamy blows a premiership sitting out Croft, when he was by far there best halfback option
2021 - Bellamy blows a premiership putting Pappa back to fullback when his side had absolutely clicked with Hynes back there...

Over rated coach.
Could have had Hynes or Paps on the wing for Jennings and another forward on the bench.

Cleary made all the right calls.

This Year?

Immortal
b574cd508da34c9458b23cd1048b527e
Smug City: A tale of two chins

stryker

First Grade
More to the point, we simply defended the best way we have been doing all year. We had the best defense this year. It's all ok if the likes of the Storm can run rough-shot over weak teams by plying 50-60 points on them. But when it comes to raw, hard defense, Melbourne met their match.
To a point I agree. Penrith‘s defence was amazing.
That said, Storm did not play well and had ample opportunities to score and win. Had they held onto the ball, they win comfortably.
Penrith got them on a very off day and their rushing as well as scramble defence applied great pressure.

26B077CC-A2BA-4C71-9A7E-463573E54E9C.jpeg
Panthers licensed club.

@ColdWetPanther, this is their licenced leagues club, I forgot to mention it earlier.

You have to very careful going home with someone from there because the next morning, the father won’t let you go without an impromptu wedding ceremony.

Meaning you, your new beloved and her 7 existing children ( from 9 fathers) may struggle to fit into her uncles donkey taxi.

I can assure you that any appeal to reason or a civilised discussion about visa issues entering back to your home in the uk since Brexit will fall on deaf ears.

You could however take a trinket bag of ugg boots, flannelette shirts and quality made shanks to barter your way out of any troubles with the locals. Parklea is a good brand but I understand Long Bay has the current Royal (Prince Andrew) warrant.

Latest posts