What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 PF 1 Sat - Melbourne 6-10 Penrith @ Suncorp

Finals Week 3: Melbourne v Penrith

• Melbourne Storm

Votes: 28 57.1%
  • Penrith Panthers

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apey

Staff member
Can't count Penrith out because at their best this is a very even match up. Problem is, they've looked pretty shit in attack this finals series and now they have to turn that around in a week, after a very tough game, against the team with the next best defence. On current form alone, I'd tip Storm 13+. However I do think they will lift for this but ultimately still fall short; I don't think they will be embarrassed.

Storm by 8.

Munky

Coach
Can't count Penrith out because at their best this is a very even match up. Problem is, they've looked pretty shit in attack this finals series and now they have to turn that around in a week, after a very tough game, against the team with the next best defence. On current form alone, I'd tip Storm 13+. However I do think they will lift for this but ultimately still fall short; I don't think they will be embarrassed.

Storm by 8.

I think the Storm will win in a close one.

As long as we minimise mistakes and kick in a way to stop their rapid transition we're in with a shot.

Need to not botch line breaks and overlaps which on current form is a big ask.

yobbo84

First Grade
When we play the Storm, we will really start to show our true colours. IMO, we are the side that has the only realistic chance to defeat the storm, because of our brutal and relentless defense.

Both Souths or Manly fans are begging us to beat this mob on Saturday night because at least they'll be able to rest a lot easier if we can deal with the Storm.

Panthers 24-14.
Nope. I think all things considered, Melbourne and Penrith are better than us. We have one good performance in us against each side. I think you would get us next time, so if we win I want Melb to win and then we ambush the Storm.

big hit!

Bench
The shit thing for Penrith is that Melbourne have seen from both Souths and Parra how to nullify their attack - relentless edge and OB line speed and take away any time Luai and Cleary have to put on anything. Basically the same thing Penrith have been doing to the opposition for the last two seasons.

In attack, Parra kept trying to go around them rather than attacking between the half and edge. Melbourne on the other hand are the masters of going right through the 3 and 4 man in defence, and I can't see anything different in this match. The Cleary-Capewell, and Luai-Martin defensive combos had better be prepared because Melbourne will be coming for them. Penrith's OB line speed makes it difficult to get around them so a little short dink outside or an inside ball to Paps could be the line break between 3 and 4 man, or inside through a tiring Panthers middle.

BranVan3000

Coach
Nope. I think all things considered, Melbourne and Penrith are better than us. We have one good performance in us against each side. I think you would get us next time, so if we win I want Melb to win and then we ambush the Storm.
I think Storm have a mental edge on us and we don't like their play style

Much rather get Panthers again in the GF. It would be a pretty even match. Both teams blew some tries in week 1

Bazal

Post Whore
What a shocking match up for the neutral. I wish both teams could lose.

But seeing as they can't, Melbourne by 14 in second gear and me to still watch like a cuck.

flippikat

Bench
I don’t think it will be a flogging, Penriths defence is still very good, however I struggle to see where the panthers tries will come from. 2 in 2 games, both from grubbers, now against a team with better defence then the previous 2. Their halves aren’t taking the line on and everything is too sideways, Melbourne will eat it up.

Mitch Kenny being injured is a good thing, it might force Ivan to pick another prop on the bench.

Storm are rested. They beat a team by 40 who just put 40 on the team who came 5th. The only 2 tries they conceded were due to errors from a replacement winger who won’t be there Friday.

Melbourne 20-6

I think your score is pretty much on the money - Melbourne by 2 tries, Penrith to score once in consolation.

A solid win, but not a thrashing.

The_Frog

First Grade
The club could sign him to a smugsultancy type of role
Or have they already tried that?
I know this was a joke but they could do a lot worse. There are few better motivators of footballers. Ivan would be far too proud to allow it though

GongPanther

Referee
Are you sure you would rather play a more fitter side in Melbourne. IF we do win, we'll be banged up from pillar to post. Besides, I would want to play in a GF against a club as famous as South Sydney.

BunniesMan

Immortal
If we lose Friday I couldn't care less what happens in this game, but if we win I'll be hoping for a brutal fight in the trenches every bit as tough as last night's game. Then we can go in and beat whoever comes out of it as we should have the easier prelim.

yobbo84

First Grade
Are you sure you would rather play a more fitter side in Melbourne. IF we do win, we'll be banged up from pillar to post. Besides, I would want to play in a GF against a club as famous as South Sydney.
Defeating the last team we have yet to defeat this season to lift the trophy would be magical.

Besides, lose to Melb and it is business as usual. Lose to the Panthers and it's smug city and I can't deal with that.

Latest posts