What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Power Rankings

Gronk

Staff member
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/0caa821da35f4e92ba441f95ed17cf30

EELS

Ladder: 3rd (9-0-3, +112)

What’s gone right: The Eels forward pack has established itself as one of the best in the competition on the back of Junior Paulo and Reagan Campbell-Gillard’s go-forward up front. The addition of Isaiah Papali’i to a back row that boasts Nathan Brown and Ryan Matterson makes the Eels one of the most formidable packs on paper in the competition. However it is the red hot form of hooker Reed Mahoney that has ignited the Eels out of the ruck at dummyhalf and has them running over the top of most teams. If the Eels backline can keep creating try-scoring opportunities, the Eels have the forward pack to match it with the Panthers and the Storm in the hunt for an elusive premiership.

What’s gone wrong: No shows in losses to the Dragons, Sea Eagles and Rabbitohs. The Eels have only lost three games all season, but ironically two of them were against teams they were expected to beat. The Round 5, 26-12 loss to the Dragons came out of nowhere, while the 28-6 loss to an in form Manly side exposed some weakness that just won’t go away. The Eels are a team that appears to read their own press when things are going well and Brad Arthur needs to keep them grounded given they faded in the back half of last season and are regarded as flat track bullies. On paper the Eels have the team to match it with the very best, but until they believe they can beat the Storm, Panthers and Rabbitohs consistently they won’t be able to get it done in the pressure cooker of finals footy.

The star: Isaiah Papalii is most experts’ tip for buy of the year at the midway point of the season after joining the club from the Warriors. Papali’i is in the midst of a breakout season after dominating on the edge in the absence of Ryan Matterson who has been dealing with concussion issues for most of the year. Papali’i’s aggression in defence and hard-running style has created plenty of go-forward for the Eels backline stars to shine. Brad Arthur rates Papali’i as one of the best players to coach during his career and that says a lot about the impact he has had on his side.

Needs to lift: Mitchell Moses. It is not that Moses has had a bad season by any stretch, but he still has a tendency to go missing in crucial games and the Eels can’t afford him to not be front and centre, especially against the top four sides. Moses has a monster pack in front of him and some devastating outside backs in Clint Gutherson, Maika Sivo and Blake Ferguson so there are no excuses going into the second half of the season. If the Eels are to win the premiership Moses needs to be the best player in his team most weeks.

strider

Post Whore
Its pretty clear the Panthers need to drop below the Roosters now .... the chooks have been missing 6 players nearly all year and put in decent performances .... take a measly 6 players out of the panthers and they go to shit

hindy111

Post Whore
Its pretty clear the Panthers need to drop below the Roosters now .... the chooks have been missing 6 players nearly all year and put in decent performances .... take a measly 6 players out of the panthers and they go to shit

8 players....

King-Gutho94

Coach
As much as i cant stand him Soward is pretty close i reckon.

If i was realistic we are probably number 5.

But even then as soward has stated souths are just floating atm despite winning. Their defence is more vulnerable then ours its just their attack is better then ours.

If we can get our defense right against them and stop that lethal left edge we can beat them. They have scored 38 points against us last 3 times and that isn't going to get the job done