What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 QF 2 Sat - Penrith 10-16 South Sydney @ QCBS

Finals Week 1: Penrith v South Sydney

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2021 - Finals Week 1
Penrith Panthers v South Sydney Rabbitohs
Queensland Country Bank Stadium, South Townsville (TICKETS)
Saturday 11 September 2021

NRL kickoff 7:50pm

PENRITH-2021.png

1. Dylan Edwards 2. Stephen Crichton 3. Paul Momirovski 4. Matt Burton 5. Brian To'o 6. Jarome Luai 7. Nathan Cleary 8. Moses Leota 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. James Fisher-Harris 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Kurt Capewell 13. Isaah Yeo
Interchange: 14. Mitch Kenny 15. Spencer Leniu 16. Tevita Pangai Junior 17. Liam Martin 18. Matthew Eisenhuth 19. Izack Tago 20. Charlie Staines 21. Brent Naden

SOUTHSYDNEY-2021.png

1. Blake Taaffe 2. Alex Johnston 3. Dane Gagai 4. Campbell Graham 5. Jaxson Paulo 6. Cody Walker 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Mark Nicholls 9. Damien Cook 10. Tevita Tatola 11. Keaon Koloamatangi 12. Jaydn Su'A 13. Cameron Murray
Interchange: 14. Benji Marshall 15. Jacob Host 16. Thomas Burgess 17. Jai Arrow 18. Jed Cartwright 19. Braidon Burns 20. Lachlan Ilias 21. Patrick Mago

BvW7aru.png

Referees: Gerard Sutton
Sideline Officials: David Munro, Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
Video Referees: Alan Shortall​

Last edited:

yobbo84

First Grade
this. otherwise would have been a decent match up
Bennett will be loving everyone writing us off. He'll play ducks and drakes all week with the "I don't know who will play fullback angle" despite knowing exactly what he'll do.

We almost had them in the last prelim with 15 men for 60 minutes, Murray in the centres, Liam Knight at lock, Cartwright on the bench... Even without Latrell we're a lot better than we were last year. It's just annoying that Penrith are too.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Hope South’s win as I prefer watching them in terms of throwing the ball around. I expect Smug to win though

Valheru

Coach
Bennett will be loving everyone writing us off. He'll play ducks and drakes all week with the "I don't know who will play fullback angle" despite knowing exactly what he'll do.

We almost had them in the last prelim with 15 men for 60 minutes, Murray in the centres, Liam Knight at lock, Cartwright on the bench... Even without Latrell we're a lot better than we were last year. It's just annoying that Penrith are too.

Agree

Bennett is the exact type of coach you want in this situation.

Think this will be very tight with panthers just getting over the line.

pantherz9103

First Grade
We have the wood over Souths in the past couple of years but this is a new game and a new venue as well. I think we'll win but I'm not loving our slow starts of late. It seems like last year and even early this year we were starting fast and then holding on to leads but lately we're starting slow before upping the tempo with the likes of Kikau and Pangai coming off the bench and we get on top and Cleary puts his stamp on the game. I'd like to see us start fast and put on early tries similar to the Dubbo game.

big hit!

Bench
I don't understand all the talk about Mitchell missing and Taafe's inexperience under the Cleary high-ball. Firstly, Mitchell is probably one of the worst FB's under a high-ball. He was part of the back 3 who was bamboozled by Cleary a couple of weeks ago. Secondly, Taafe's FB positioning is much better and most likely to get to the ball better than Mitchell did.

Obviously, Mitchell is going to give you that impact in attack that no other player apart from Trbo can probably replicate, but he has been a defensive liability throughout his stint at FB.

Ultimately, this isn't going to be won or lost by the Souths FB. It'll be determined in the middle, and it's been shown repeatedly that Souths cannot measure up to Penrith or Melbourne in this department. When Souths forwards end up standing still, then Walker cannot do what he does. On the other side, Penrith's middle will end up dominating to allow Cleary to pull on the strings

mongoose

Coach
Tipping the smug to win the premiership... I feel the Storm have too many cooks in the kitchen and will crumble and Manly rely too much on 1 player. Souths can't win it without Latrell, they are a long shot with him anyway.

yobbo84

First Grade
I don't understand all the talk about Mitchell missing and Taafe's inexperience under the Cleary high-ball. Firstly, Mitchell is probably one of the worst FB's under a high-ball. He was part of the back 3 who was bamboozled by Cleary a couple of weeks ago. Secondly, Taafe's FB positioning is much better and most likely to get to the ball better than Mitchell did.

Obviously, Mitchell is going to give you that impact in attack that no other player apart from Trbo can probably replicate, but he has been a defensive liability throughout his stint at FB.

Ultimately, this isn't going to be won or lost by the Souths FB. It'll be determined in the middle, and it's been shown repeatedly that Souths cannot measure up to Penrith or Melbourne in this department. When Souths forwards end up standing still, then Walker cannot do what he does. On the other side, Penrith's middle will end up dominating to allow Cleary to pull on the strings
100% this. I'm not worried at all about Taaffe under the high ball. He's a terrier who is everywhere on the field and will do the job adequately.

The issue is who is going to step up to JFH, Kikau, etc? Jai Arrow and Jaydn Su'A need to be given free reign. We need to match their aggression or they will steamroll us.

Fangs

Coach
Better coach vs better squad.

Penrith have 5 wins from 6 games since Bennett took over at Souffs.

yobbo84

First Grade
The Panthers were hardly impressive in last year's finals. Yes they're a better side now, but they snuck a win by 1 point against a fading Roosters who got belted by 60 the week prior, only just beat a depleted Souths by a try (and saved by an Adam Reynolds toenail), and then got belted by the Storm in the GF.

They'll certainly have a point to prove and I think this'll be the match of the round.

Latest posts