What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 QF 2 Sat - Penrith 10-16 South Sydney @ QCBS

Finals Week 1: Penrith v South Sydney

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yobbo84

First Grade
It's the last chance at a premiership for Bennett, Reynolds, Gagai, and a few others. Hunger won't be an issue. I just hope we don't look ahead and focus on the prelim first or we will fall short again.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Yeah it was absolute nonsense. Andrew Johns said we are out in straight sets and I couldn't believe my ears

Like losing to Penrith was a realistic statement. But then to be no hopes against Knights or Eels the week after? Crazy
Andrew Johns says a lot of things.99% of it is moronic gibberish.

GongPanther

Referee
Panthers need to put together 3 big finals 3 weeks in a row to win the premiership now, while Melbourne will be fresh as a daisy waiting for them if they get over Penrith/Newcastle.

Smug most likely expected to get their rest next week, but perhaps they should have taken the opportunity when they could have last week rather than looking beyond the rabbits. Souths and Melbourne came into this weekend fresh. Penrith and Manly were full strength (admittedly Panthers was a training run) in the last round. Panthers were ground out of last night's match, and they looked tired in the last 10'. Not often we've seen that in the last couple of seasons. It's going to be a big ask for them to recover.
IF Penrith do make the prelim final, the GF winner will come from the Storm V Panthers game, although we are behind the 8 ball for next week's game with Yeo to miss out.
EDIT: No players to miss next week. NRL confirms no charges on Panthers players except Kiks who gets a fine.

Last edited:

gerg

Juniors
For all the complaining about Ivan's comments, he is right - but complaining after a loss is never the right time. All neutrals on this site have commented on what Robinson did in his presser a few weeks ago and the not so subtle manipulation of the referees. Those more experienced coaches do it every year around finals time.

Can anybody explain why referee appointments for the games are made public? Why are coaches given the opportunity to devise a gameplan based on who the referee is?

The_Frog

First Grade
IF Penrith do make the prelim final, the GF winner will come from the Storm V Panthers game, although we are behind the 8 ball for next week's game with Yeo to miss out.
Ivan was right. It was a false crusher. Refs are instructed to penalise anything that looks semi-remotely like it. The way crusher tackles are managed needs urgent review in the off season.

Valheru

Coach
It's the last chance at a premiership for Bennett, Reynolds, Gagai, and a few others. Hunger won't be an issue. I just hope we don't look ahead and focus on the prelim first or we will fall short again.

Yep the atmosphere this week is exactly what Bennett thrives on.

It will be a different kettle of fish in 2 weeks time with souths being hot favourites and everyone writing off manly/easts

GongPanther

Referee
Ivan was right. It was a false crusher. Refs are instructed to penalise anything that looks semi-remotely like it. The way crusher tackles are managed needs urgent review in the off season.
That is a huge relief that nobody misses next week. But the bunker has to get this ruling correct. Getting penalised in a finals match for a supposed infraction is a terrible indication that the game still has not got it right.

Cockosh

Juniors
I know it was mentioned by a few in lead up to finals but the loss of a home ground advantage really hurt the panthers. Not taking away from souffs great performance but such a close game in front of a packed panthers crowd may have been the difference. If anything it seemed as though souffs has more fans there last night.

yobbo84

First Grade
That is a huge relief that nobody misses next week. But the bunker has to get this ruling correct. Getting penalised in a finals match for a supposed infraction is a terrible indication that the game still has not got it right.
As long as they get right "late" hits on kickers. The penalty on Koloamatangi was equally as laughable.

yobbo84

First Grade

It will be a different kettle of fish in 2 weeks time with souths being hot favourites and everyone writing off manly/easts
What happens if you beat Manly, then in the prelim 5 players from each side get sent off and the game has to be called off? 😂

soc123_au

Staff member
As long as they get right "late" hits on kickers. The penalty on Koloamatangi was equally as laughable.
There were some ridiculous calls both ways. I think you guys got the better of them overall, but thats how it goes. The late hit call was just braindead from Sutton. The only reason I can come up with for it being called was to square up the Martin "Crusher" He did the same squaring up the Burgess drop penalty with one where I think it was Pangai dropped one. Both resulted in 2 points.

The_Frog

First Grade

I don't think Souths will be hot favourites against either opponent.

BranVan3000

Coach
We will go in favourites against both Manly and Roosters

Id prefer Roosters as we are more familiar with their play style and how to nullify it. But I agree it could become a physical payback contest

We haven't had a chance to play Manly with Turbo so there are unknowns there

I think DCE is more dangerous kicking proposition as well than Walker

I could still see Roosters upsetting Manly though. Battle hardened finals experience can come to the front

soc123_au

Staff member
I'm torn. We would smash the Roosters but probably lose 3-4 players to injury/suspension. Manly would be a less physical game but they're much more dangerous.
I'm hoping you face the Chooks. I think every Rugby League fan is dying to see that matchup. If it happens it will be a late night for the MRC in the aftermath.