What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 R23 Fri - Penrith 25-12 South Sydney @ Suncorp

Round 23: Penrith v South Sydney

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
Good game of footy that. Cleary and Yeo really good. Young Sorensen was exceptional as well. A performance worthy of his illustrious surname.

Murray was good for the Bunnies.

Atkins sucks, but that was far from his worst. Souths were ill disciplined. I think they let Mansour and his personal vendetta set the tone for them.

Scottys not really young in nrl terms but he’s been a great pick up for us, very solid through the middle.

soc123_au

Staff member
Good game of footy that. Cleary and Yeo really good. Young Sorensen was exceptional as well. A performance worthy of his illustrious surname.

Atkins sucks, but that was far from his worst. Souths were ill disciplined. I think they let Mansour and his personal vendetta set the tone for them.
Sorenson has been a great pickup. He has a way to go to emulate his uncles, but I've been impressed with him. He got an extension recently so we will get to see more of him in the next few years.

Momo was the player that turned the game.

Stock factory back, dragged onto the wing, under immense pressure of being smashed into the next world, slots two mm perfect kicks to win back confidence and belief in the smug attack. Superb outing.

Once the kids got a sniff, their game lifted and kept lifting.

All that said, the ref made multiple errors, but I don’t think the bunnies could match the intensity of that d.

The bombs should have been caught on the full. Basic footy.

What I liked about the smug was that they learned on the job. They stuck to their plays that were creating havoc.

I was pleased to see Kiks moving forward after I’d been talking him up as the next Tigers marquee signing. I copped some flak, but on the balance, he had a great game. He’s so capable, beyond, threat be thy middle name!

He’s also just good to watch. He’s always up to something, looking for trouble!

What about that smug wave defence at the back end? The usually lethal South’s attack had no answers. Pinned down and struggling. Not themselves.

Did anyone else hear the players oomphing during the tackles? Brutal out there. A couple of those tackles would kill or maim the average human.

Shout out to Renno for his miracle 40/20. That would be worth the cash flying up to qld to watch live, accom etc. One of the best kicks in play ever. No doubt the highlight of the season for the purists, but I can’t rob Momo of his place in the sun either. So unexpected.

Great game.

Last edited:
One thing to come out of that match was further confirmation that Cameron Murray is elite level and our best player. What a superstar.
I could only describe Murray’s footy game as “picturesque”.

There’s not a blank spot on his canvass.

Hes a true freak, a natural.

But to see smug play with more energy and poise at in the last 20 minutes than the opening 50 was simply alarming. I did get that “ have the smug peaked too early” question gnawing at me afterwards. It creeps into the head.

Bunnies attack had their throats cut for a quarter of the game. The rare threat was a lucky jag instead of anything planned.

Latrell was more than adequately catered for.

They came in numbers, again and again and again.

But nothing phases Cam Murray. Man against man, he’s better than every single Panther out there.

Probably the best club game all year as a whole. Surprise, skill, controversy and comeback. A good contest, arm wrestle and perhaps the closest thing we’re seen all year to how the game is supposed to be played in the modern era under the prevailing rules.

Last edited:
Isaah Yeo has entered the chat.

Yes indeed Socky and he went on to make the following post illustrating his own thoughts on any comparison between himself and the Cam Murray:

5381404F-D53B-4036-84BD-67962669B97A.jpeg

I’m not being rude, but in comparison to Murray- as a footy player -the Yowie is
not fit enough to sew a decorative bone onto a co vid mask for Cams dog.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
Yes indeed Socky and he went on to make the following post illustrating his own thoughts on any comparison between himself and the Cam Murray:

View attachment 52643

I’m not being rude, but in comparison to Murray- as a footy player -the Yowie is
not fit enough to sew a decorative bone onto a co vid mask for Cams dog.
I think you are off on your assessment mate. They are both outstanding players. I wouldn't swap Yeo for any other 13 in the comp. But I will admit that I'd be surprised to find a Souths fan that would swap Murray either. Supporters of the other 14 clubs would be happy to have either.

Murray was very good in a dominated pack that lost steam in the final 30 mins of the game. Yeo simply had a better game overall.

BTW, 10th straight year in not being in the finals. That coach, you need to get rid of, and replace the whole side.
There’s usually about a 30% turnover per annum, this year won’t be any different.

Madge is under the pump as only 10-15% of the side have improved under his regime. Most of the players have stagnated or gone backwards.

We could cop it if the improvement was broader and deeper ( even amongst the unfancied) but that’s not apparent.

But the hierarchy of the club retains a lot of faith in him.

I give him until round 6 next year.

He should be blowing the budget to give himself a chance a la Bennett I guess!

They might be waiting for him to voluntarily resign I don’t know.

His pre season needs a complete re working.
And we played better when he walked out on us at half time a couple of times this season. I was hoping he would do that today. Give us a chance.

GongPanther

Referee
There’s usually about a 30% turnover per annum, this year won’t be any different.

Madge is under the pump as only 10-15% of the side have improved under his regime. Most of the players have stagnated or gone backwards.

We could cop it if the improvement was broader and deeper ( even amongst the unfancied) but that’s not apparent.

But the hierarchy of the club retains a lot of faith in him.

I give him until round 6 next year.

He should be blowing the budget to give himself a chance a la Bennett I guess!

They might be waiting for him to voluntarily resign I don’t know.
They simply need to start from sctratch, just like we did. Get rid of any under performing over paid players, and get some honest grafters, and concentrate more on development.

Even if it doesn't bear fruit for 3-5 years, the club and it's fans and sponsors need to be very patient, so the club can have in place what will be a solid foundation to grow on.

They simply need to start from sctratch, just like we did. Get rid of any under performing over paid players, and get some honest grafters, and concentrate more on development.

Even if it doesn't bear fruit for 3-5 years, the club and it's fans and sponsors need to be very patient, so the club can have in place what will be a solid foundation to grow on.
Well, very prescient comment as that program is underway.

According to Madge ( this week) we are trying to build a "core group" of players which he has nominated as Lucy, Blorey, Stefano, Doogie and Laurie- as "first tier core" Interesting omissions include Brooks and even Nofo, although I note the signing of Seyfarth recently.

Madge also said we favoured Penrith and Rooster juniors etc before others but at the moment, there is not a great rush for the players remaining to exit these clubs.

Recruitment is by Committee since Ivan overcooked a few years ago. Hartigan gets final say.

Mybe gives us another 390 into the mix, SGI paying about 370 and he took a personal cut, but the wallet is thickening with the exit of Packer, BJ et al.

As you know I'm very fond of Kikau and Corey Norman who is desperate to be picked up on beer money.

Madge was also talking about a 3 or 4 year plan or whatever, but as I suggested, he has failed.

Sheens will be back, noddy pumping up the juniors but a few of us thinks he needs a Siebold type under him.

Hastings is a great signing because regardless of where he plays, he will put a rocket up a very ordinary Brooks who is nowhere near his potential, plus he brings some dog to the halves.

If the plan is a mess this time next year, I think we will need to start again as you suggested. 10-15% across the board improvement on players performances is very weak.

As you know, the physio is always the first to get the chop!

Cheers gongster.

Status
Not open for further replies.