What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 R9 Thu - South Sydney 0-50 Melbourne @ Stadium Aus

Round 9: South Sydney v Melbourne

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Saxon

Bench
lol. The grand final is Rabbitohs v Panthers. Mark my words. When fit we are clearly above them.
laughing%20hysterically%20gif.gif

yobbo84

First Grade
Phil Gould has a theory on Wayne Bennett. He reckons Bennett lets his sides plod on when they're not playing well, until the big one comes, as it did last night. That's when he gets their attention.

We defend passively and we don't wrestle. It's admirable that that is the way Wayne wants his teams to play, and it's certainly more attractive football when we're on than the bash-and-barge of the Storm, but unfortunately it doesn't win premierships any more.

I said to my mate during the game that 15 teams are playing touch footy in 2021 while the Storm get away with Wrestlemania still. It's infuriating but they do it so smartly the refs can't do anything about it really. They don't lie there for 3-4 seconds to make it obvious. They peel off one-at-a-time, or get up slowly while putting physical pressure on the man playing the ball with a shin or knee or something else on them.

The NRL had their chance to rid the wrestle in 2018 with the crackdown until they lost their nerve and bowed to media pressure. The six again rule only helps them even more as the Storm are good enough to defend a 7-8 tackle set rather than give away 40m in field position.

If we're not going to wrestle, then you need to follow the Penrith model of intense line speed for 80 mins. We did this for 60 mins vs the Roosters but haven't shown anything like that since.

Saxon

Bench
We defend passively and we don't wrestle. It's admirable that that is the way Wayne wants his teams to play, and it's certainly more attractive football when we're on than the bash-and-barge of the Storm, but unfortunately it doesn't win premierships any more.

I said to my mate during the game that 15 teams are playing touch footy in 2021 while the Storm get away with Wrestlemania still. It's infuriating but they do it so smartly the refs can't do anything about it really. They don't lie there for 3-4 seconds to make it obvious. They peel off one-at-a-time, or get up slowly while putting physical pressure on the man playing the ball with a shin or knee or something else on them.

The NRL had their chance to rid the wrestle in 2018 with the crackdown until they lost their nerve and bowed to media pressure. The six again rule only helps them even more as the Storm are good enough to defend a 7-8 tackle set rather than give away 40m in field position.

If we're not going to wrestle, then you need to follow the Penrith model of intense line speed for 80 mins. We did this for 60 mins vs the Roosters but haven't shown anything like that since.

Congratulations on your award winning whine.

10-award-winning-wines-hero.jpg