What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

Rabbits20

Immortal
Burns confirmed exit,dogs for 2 years, boy are we venting not only 1st graders but depth, with no quality signings, i dont consider chee kam or havili quality
Havili will be cheap and he’s a tough nugget. He could play a middle forward role off the bench he’s strong enough for that. I don’t mind this signing at all.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Losses so far are:

Reyno
Gagai
Su’a
Mago
Burns
Benji (gut is telling me he retires)
J. Cook
Gardner
Lovodua

Gains:

Milford (and his contract might be torn up)
Havili (rumoured)
Chee Kam (rumoured)

Looks like Ilias, Mamozelos, Bjorac, etc will be promoted.

Nafedogg

Juniors
But all I hear is “burns is injury prone, he isn’t fast etc” yet we are happy for the poor bloke to play reserves or maybe not get a run in our side? Good on him for getting a first grade spot elsewhere. Good luck Braidon, you have been a great addition for us.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs to farewell Braidon Burns: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/10/05/rabbitohs-to-farewell-braidon-burns/

Not that gutted to lose Burnsy to be honest. He's a fantastic bloke and clubman but let's be honest, he's failed to live up to the hype over five years. Injuries have certainly played their part in that for sure but that's the reality. It also gives me confidence we've signed a quality centre since we're happy to let Burns go.

Anyway, thanks for your service over the years Burnsy and all the best for the future.

On another note, you can add Steven Marsters to the list of departing players. He posted a 'signing off' post on Instagram today thanking the club and saying farewell. Again, with respect to Marsters, not a huge loss for us I feel. There's been suggestions that his attitude to his diet is very poor. Not being in the relocated Queensland squad this year is probably a reflection of that.

callmack1

Staff member
From Zero Tackle. Now Gardner is someone I don't really want to lose, he's highly rated and was tipped to make his debut this year by many before he suffered that injury.

Rabbitohs poised to lose young gun to interstate club

South Sydney youngster Brock Gardner is tipped to depart Redfern this off-season in favour of a move to the Raiders.

Gardner, who missed the 2021 season with an Achilles injury sustained early in thw year, is believed to be in the sights of Canberra ahead of next season.

The 21-year-old is yet to feature for the Bunnies at NRL level after joining their senior squad in the pre-season, having shown plenty of promise as a forward for the future at the Burrow despite facing ongoing setbacks.

Now, with the Raiders looking to bolster their attack, Gardner is believed to be on the move to the nation's capital, according to Wide World of Sports' The Mole.

Gardner remains off-contract for the 2022 season and is among several Rabbitohs facing an uncertain future in South Sydney.

The Bunnies will bid farewell to veteran duo Adam Reynolds (Broncos) and Dane Gagai (Knights) in the coming weeks, while Joshua Cook (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Joe Lovodua (Hull FC), Patrick Mago (Wigan Warriors), Braidon Burns (Canterbury) and Jaydn Su'a (St George Illawarra Dragons) also find new clubs.

The Raiders are yet to confirm their first signing for the 2022 season despite having five list spots open on their roster for next year.

The Green Machine has enjoyed a strong season of retentions this year, with a plethora of key names inking new deals in 2021.

Also from Zero Tackle,

Bennett to Redcliffe all but a lock

Although an official announcement to welcome Redcliffe into the NRL fold is yet to be made, Monday's multi-million dollar commitment by News Corp now sees the Dolphins' bid for the league's 17th licence as a fait accompli.

And even though outgoing Souths steward Wayne Bennett has yet to publicly throw his hat in the ring for a role with the expansion side, many within the media believe that a deal to do so has already been made.

Speaking to SEN 1170 on Tuesday morning, Michael Carayannis of The Daily Telegraph explained that it would not be long before the competition's oldest coach and its youngest side will walk hand in hand down the aisle.

“I think Wayne’s already had discussions with Redcliffe,” the journalist divulged.

“Amongst the two other potential bidders, it will be Redcliffe, once expansion gets the green light this week it’ll be the Redcliffe Dolphins.

“You’ll find that Wayne Bennett will be the coach, it’ll be interesting to see what he does next season.”

While still shrouded in the thinnest veil of secrecy, the impending announcement will mean that Bennett is without a permanent role for the 2022 season, as the Dolphins will only enter the competition 12-months later.

However, Cararyannis explained that although Bennett will call Queensland home next year, the seven-time premiership coach will likely work as a consultant for the Rabbitohs whilst also establishing Redcliffe's inaugural roster.

“He’ll spend time piecing together that squad, but I think the Rabbitohs might be open to the prospect of keeping Wayne at the club for another 12-months until he steps into another full-time day-to-day role,” he expounded.

“He could be there as an official mentor and leadership coach to Jason Demetriou and the rest of the coaching staff.

“Wayne could have two roles next season and not coach an NRL club.”

Though this may appear some what of a conflict of interest on first glance, but given that the Moreton Bay-based club has yet to be granted first-grade status, Bennett will lurk safely within a murky gray area.

With the league set to meet with the heads of the 16-clubs already within the competition this Thursday, a declaration to award Redcliffe their golden ticket has already been slated for Friday afternoon.

Whether Bennett's impending dedication directly follows the league's growth is yet to be determined.

But as he was not prepared to rule out the possibility of another full-time post when speaking after his former side's Grand Final defeat on Sunday, it seems as if it's only a matter of time before Bennett will coach his sixth NRL club.

handyman2190

Bench
Rabbitohs to farewell Braidon Burns: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/10/05/rabbitohs-to-farewell-braidon-burns/

Not that gutted to lose Burnsy to be honest. He's a fantastic bloke and clubman but let's be honest, he's failed to live up to the hype over five years. Injuries have certainly played their part in that for sure but that's the reality. It also gives me confidence we've signed a quality centre since we're happy to let Burns go.

Anyway, thanks for your service over the years Burnsy and all the best for the future.

On another note, you can add Steven Marsters to the list of departing players. He posted a 'signing off' post on Instagram today thanking the club and saying farewell. Again, with respect to Marsters, not a huge loss for us I feel. There's been suggestions that his attitude to his diet is very poor. Not being in the relocated Queensland squad this year is probably a reflection of that.
Marsters is/was a waste of space,id advocated his exit many times but gardiner i wanted to keep, stewart stole gueller the prop, now gardiner,im not happy,in my opinion weve dropped the ball in recruitment

From Zero Tackle. Now Gardner is someone I don't really want to lose, he's highly rated and was tipped to make his debut this year by many before he suffered that injury.

Rabbitohs poised to lose young gun to interstate club

South Sydney youngster Brock Gardner is tipped to depart Redfern this off-season in favour of a move to the Raiders.

Gardner, who missed the 2021 season with an Achilles injury sustained early in thw year, is believed to be in the sights of Canberra ahead of next season.

The 21-year-old is yet to feature for the Bunnies at NRL level after joining their senior squad in the pre-season, having shown plenty of promise as a forward for the future at the Burrow despite facing ongoing setbacks.

Now, with the Raiders looking to bolster their attack, Gardner is believed to be on the move to the nation's capital, according to Wide World of Sports' The Mole.

Gardner remains off-contract for the 2022 season and is among several Rabbitohs facing an uncertain future in South Sydney.

The Bunnies will bid farewell to veteran duo Adam Reynolds (Broncos) and Dane Gagai (Knights) in the coming weeks, while Joshua Cook (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Joe Lovodua (Hull FC), Patrick Mago (Wigan Warriors), Braidon Burns (Canterbury) and Jaydn Su'a (St George Illawarra Dragons) also find new clubs.

The Raiders are yet to confirm their first signing for the 2022 season despite having five list spots open on their roster for next year.

The Green Machine has enjoyed a strong season of retentions this year, with a plethora of key names inking new deals in 2021.

Also from Zero Tackle,

Bennett to Redcliffe all but a lock

Although an official announcement to welcome Redcliffe into the NRL fold is yet to be made, Monday's multi-million dollar commitment by News Corp now sees the Dolphins' bid for the league's 17th licence as a fait accompli.

And even though outgoing Souths steward Wayne Bennett has yet to publicly throw his hat in the ring for a role with the expansion side, many within the media believe that a deal to do so has already been made.

Speaking to SEN 1170 on Tuesday morning, Michael Carayannis of The Daily Telegraph explained that it would not be long before the competition's oldest coach and its youngest side will walk hand in hand down the aisle.

“I think Wayne’s already had discussions with Redcliffe,” the journalist divulged.

“Amongst the two other potential bidders, it will be Redcliffe, once expansion gets the green light this week it’ll be the Redcliffe Dolphins.

“You’ll find that Wayne Bennett will be the coach, it’ll be interesting to see what he does next season.”

While still shrouded in the thinnest veil of secrecy, the impending announcement will mean that Bennett is without a permanent role for the 2022 season, as the Dolphins will only enter the competition 12-months later.

However, Cararyannis explained that although Bennett will call Queensland home next year, the seven-time premiership coach will likely work as a consultant for the Rabbitohs whilst also establishing Redcliffe's inaugural roster.

“He’ll spend time piecing together that squad, but I think the Rabbitohs might be open to the prospect of keeping Wayne at the club for another 12-months until he steps into another full-time day-to-day role,” he expounded.

“He could be there as an official mentor and leadership coach to Jason Demetriou and the rest of the coaching staff.

“Wayne could have two roles next season and not coach an NRL club.”

Though this may appear some what of a conflict of interest on first glance, but given that the Moreton Bay-based club has yet to be granted first-grade status, Bennett will lurk safely within a murky gray area.

With the league set to meet with the heads of the 16-clubs already within the competition this Thursday, a declaration to award Redcliffe their golden ticket has already been slated for Friday afternoon.

Whether Bennett's impending dedication directly follows the league's growth is yet to be determined.

But as he was not prepared to rule out the possibility of another full-time post when speaking after his former side's Grand Final defeat on Sunday, it seems as if it's only a matter of time before Bennett will coach his sixth NRL club.
They may as well add an 18th team and have 2 conferences either another QLD team or WA team.

Sydney Conference of 9 teams

Non Sydney Conference of 9 teams

Play teams in your conference twice and the other conference once - 25 games

Finals series

Either a top 5 in each conference and two conference winners play off super bowl style

or

Top 4 from each conference with a cross over finals series-same format as the current top 8

Week 1

Qualifying Finals

1 v 2

Elimination Finals
3 vs 4

Have conference naming rights sponsors with Telstra the overall Sponsor - NRL Telstra Premiership

Sydney teams will have either 20 or 21 games in Sydney - 12 or 13 home games - have discounts for away games for season ticket holders

BradS

Juniors
Too much worrying about who is going to be signed

Centres

Graham
Taane
Moga
Cartwright
Bijorac
Mougios

One more might be ok as long as it is a quality centre

halves
Cody
Taafe
Illias
Milf
Hawkins

second row
Kaeon
Jai
Host
Liam

props
Tom
GOAT
Junior
Davvy
Liam

If I take a stab

Talent released. 2.4 mil

Cody upgrade. 300k
Latrell upgrade 250k
Murray upgrade 200k

still over 1.5 mil for a quality acquisition and time is on the Rabbitohs side

do you really think they would have one got into a bidding war with the Broncs with Adam if they thought the junior pool was not there?

BradS

Juniors
The papers need a story about why Souths are not going to make it next year etc Same as 2011 when Sandow left

but please don’t shoot me, as much as I love his play Cody just doesn’t have it in him to take us to a premiership, just not a big game player. I hope I am wrong but he tightens up in big games

also SUA got owned by Kikau in the GF and I am glad he has gone. So much potential but no guts when the tough get going

Ikonic

Juniors
Whose Magouios?
In my opinion Cody tried hard in the GF. Lie the commentators say when the game is on (like it was at 8-8) you want your expensive players to want to get their hands on the ball and he did…
Unfortunately he threw an intercept.

BradS

Juniors
Whose Magouios?
In my opinion Cody tried hard in the GF. Lie the commentators say when the game is on (like it was at 8-8) you want your expensive players to want to get their hands on the ball and he did…
Unfortunately he threw an intercept.
Nick Mougios was the captain of the 2019 Flegg premiership side

94 kg and is earmarked for bigger things