What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

callmack1

Staff member
Hey guys,

Time to switch focus to 2021. This is part of a forum update where I'll be updating all threads for 2021. Same threads, same purpose, it's just a freshen up.

Please stop using the old threads if you can and start using these ones.

Please use this thread to discuss all rumours, signings and news relating to our great club and the great game of Rugby League.

Cheers.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs extend contract of Keaon Koloamatangi until at least the end of the 2023 Season: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...gi-until-at-least-the-end-of-the-2023-season/

Fantastic news to come home to!! Stoked with this to be honest! I think we all rate Keaon very highly and he's only going to get better. So good to hear him talk about the club like that too, great stuff from the Souths Junior.

So yea stoked, that's one priority re-signing we can tick off the list!

Kevin Walters a ‘big fan’ of one-referee model as NRL conduct review ahead of 2021: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/c15a8e9257a68329c744dd897bb8cd94

Rabbits20

Immortal
Rabbitohs extend contract of Keaon Koloamatangi until at least the end of the 2023 Season: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...gi-until-at-least-the-end-of-the-2023-season/

Fantastic news to come home to!! Stoked with this to be honest! I think we all rate Keaon very highly and he's only going to get better. So good to hear him talk about the club like that too, great stuff from the Souths Junior.

So yea stoked, that's one priority re-signing we can tick off the list!

Kevin Walters a ‘big fan’ of one-referee model as NRL conduct review ahead of 2021: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/c15a8e9257a68329c744dd897bb8cd94
Great news to come home from hospital too.

I am not feeling the best now so this news has boosted my spirits.

Rabbits20

Immortal
NRL signing news: South Sydney re-sign Keaon Koloamatangi; Latrell Mitchell, Tevita Tatola

South’s rookie of the year has rejected outside interest to remain at Redfern for next three years as the club turns its attention to two big names.

Dean Ritchie
November 23, 2020 - 3:15PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-signing-news-south-sydney-resign-keaon-koloamatangi-latrell-mitchell-tevita-tatola/news-story/4f4838a73457b53d0ef6453d6b7cbd8a

He is South Sydney’s reigning rookie of the year who has now committed to the club long-term.

Rising forward Keaon Koloamatangi – already under contract for next season - has now signed a new two-year deal keeping him at Redfern until the end of 2023.

A Mascot Jets junior, Koloamatangi, 22, has played 14 NRL matches since making his debut against Melbourne Storm in round four this season. He is deemed a star of the future.

“I’m really happy to have my contract sorted. I don’t really see myself playing anywhere else. My heart is here at Souths,” Koloamatangi said.

I love the boys and the staff here and I feel that we can do something special in the next couple of years.

“It’s an amazing team we have here and the competition for spots in the forwards will help me improve my game, as well as make me a better player and better person.”

Rabbitohs head of football, Mark Ellison, said Koloamatangi worked tirelessly to not only make his debut but then retain his place in the top side for the rest of the season.

Koloamatangi’s retention comes as Souths kickstart formal contract negotiations with prop Junior Tatola while also closing in a new deal with star fullback Latrell Mitchell.

Ellison and Tatola’s manager, Isaac Moses, are in talks about extending for another two to three years. Discussed this year as a possible NSW bolter, Tatola is currently under contract at Redfern until the end of next season.

Auburn-born Tatola enjoyed a breakout season, playing 21 games this year and averaging 13 runs a game for 106 metres and 23 tackles.

Talks also continue between Souths and Mitchell’s manager, Matt Rose.

Like Tatola, Mitchell comes off after next year and is looking at a new deal spanning either two or three seasons.

Once the Mitchell deal is nailed down, Souths are then expected to release rising rugby union star Joseph Suaalii to the Sydney Roosters.

callmack1

Staff member
Great news, now just need to finalise these deals, and get Jaydn Su'A locked up and we've achieved almost everything we needed to get done (except Sironen :cry:)
List is still a bit longer but this is certainly a big tick! Hopefully Latrell, Su'A and Tatola to come.

Great news to come home from hospital too.

I am not feeling the best now so this news has boosted my spirits.
Get well soon brother.

callmack1

Staff member

Love the club's stance on this and couldn't agree more!

NRL signing news: South Sydney re-sign Keaon Koloamatangi; Latrell Mitchell, Tevita Tatola

South’s rookie of the year has rejected outside interest to remain at Redfern for next three years as the club turns its attention to two big names.

Dean Ritchie
November 23, 2020 - 3:15PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-signing-news-south-sydney-resign-keaon-koloamatangi-latrell-mitchell-tevita-tatola/news-story/4f4838a73457b53d0ef6453d6b7cbd8a

He is South Sydney’s reigning rookie of the year who has now committed to the club long-term.

Rising forward Keaon Koloamatangi – already under contract for next season - has now signed a new two-year deal keeping him at Redfern until the end of 2023.

A Mascot Jets junior, Koloamatangi, 22, has played 14 NRL matches since making his debut against Melbourne Storm in round four this season. He is deemed a star of the future.

“I’m really happy to have my contract sorted. I don’t really see myself playing anywhere else. My heart is here at Souths,” Koloamatangi said.

I love the boys and the staff here and I feel that we can do something special in the next couple of years.

“It’s an amazing team we have here and the competition for spots in the forwards will help me improve my game, as well as make me a better player and better person.”

Rabbitohs head of football, Mark Ellison, said Koloamatangi worked tirelessly to not only make his debut but then retain his place in the top side for the rest of the season.

Koloamatangi’s retention comes as Souths kickstart formal contract negotiations with prop Junior Tatola while also closing in a new deal with star fullback Latrell Mitchell.

Ellison and Tatola’s manager, Isaac Moses, are in talks about extending for another two to three years. Discussed this year as a possible NSW bolter, Tatola is currently under contract at Redfern until the end of next season.

Auburn-born Tatola enjoyed a breakout season, playing 21 games this year and averaging 13 runs a game for 106 metres and 23 tackles.

Talks also continue between Souths and Mitchell’s manager, Matt Rose.

Like Tatola, Mitchell comes off after next year and is looking at a new deal spanning either two or three seasons.

Once the Mitchell deal is nailed down, Souths are then expected to release rising rugby union star Joseph Suaalii to the Sydney Roosters.
Sounding very promising in regards to Latrell and Junior! Hoping for some more good news soon.

handyman2190

Bench
Great news, now just need to finalise these deals, and get Jaydn Su'A locked up and we've achieved almost everything we needed to get done (except Sironen :cry:)
Why wouldnt you have locked sua up before origin jacked his price up and other teams lining up for him? Beats me

Rabbits20

Immortal

Love the club's stance on this and couldn't agree more!

Sounding very promising in regards to Latrell and Junior! Hoping for some more good news soon.
Yep very promising and hopefully Su’a not far behind.

Agree re Suaalii let’s not give Easts an inch.

Travitoh

First Grade
Why wouldnt you have locked sua up before origin jacked his price up and other teams lining up for him? Beats me

Probably because Su'a and his manager weren't willing to be locked into a contract then knowing that he was in the mix to play origin.

CAFPOW

Juniors
SMH: South Sydney are prepared to release Joseph Suaalii to the Roosters if they get Daniel Tupou in return via a player swap.

Pie in the sky demand considering the cap pressure your club is reportedly facing (and those are media reports admittedly) to fit in re-signing Latrell Mitchell which is why they were considering releasing Suaalii in the first place.

handyman2190

Bench
Pie in the sky demand considering the cap pressure your club is reportedly facing (and those are media reports admittedly) to fit in re-signing Latrell Mitchell which is why they were considering releasing Suaalii in the first place.
So much BS, we have cap for latrell he is getting an extra 200k we were not considering anything,so your info is wrong.

Galeforce

Bench

Only one pie in the sky here and it is your simple , simply wrong input.

Suaalii currently on $60k for 2021 , which I think is rounding in CAP management.Releasing Suaalii has definitely nothing to with $60k for 2021. Souths had been planning to pay Suaalii up to $600k for 2021 if he signed the extension...........besides the $60k is in development planning if he is not planned for 2021 top side. Which is the current plan.

It is the Roosters who have the cap issues, as if they sign Suaali on "real" money and want him to play top grade in 2021 , they have the problem.If the Roosters plan to keep him on development money in 2021 they cannot play him either in top grade. So releasing Toupo actually gives them a shot to pay Suaalii more and get him into their top side early.

Travitoh

First Grade
Souths need a workaholic in the back three IMO and Daniel Tupou would fill that need. Him or Josh Manour would round off the Souths backline nicely imo if Gagai is to stay at centre.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
WRONG dingbat.

Players already budgeted for in 2021:
James Roberts off the books for 2021 - savings 550K
Ethan Lowe off the books, medically retired - savings 300K
Sam Burgess was still under contract for 2021 and 2022 medically retired - savings = 1.1mil each year minus Jai Arrow signing @ 750K = 350K savings each year for the next 2
Add in Bayley Sironen anywhere between 150-250K

Your Bondi comprehension probably also doesnt allow you to understand that we already had a deal with Suaali in place for 600K per year so that's now all savings.

Our books are WAY less dodgy than yours

Last edited:

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Only one pie in the sky here and it is your simple , simply wrong input.

Suaalii currently on $60k for 2021 , which I think is rounding in CAP management.Releasing Suaalii has definitely nothing to with $60k for 2021. Souths had been planning to pay Suaalii up to $600k for 2021 if he signed the extension...........besides the $60k is in development planning if he is not planned for 2021 top side. Which is the current plan.

It is the Roosters who have the cap issues, as if they sign Suaali on "real" money and want him to play top grade in 2021 , they have the problem.If the Roosters plan to keep him on development money in 2021 they cannot play him either in top grade. So releasing Toupo actually gives them a shot to pay Suaalii more and get him into their top side early.
And they need to find $$$ for Crichton, but they'll probably end up shafting Cordner for that.