What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

Travitoh

First Grade
Robert Jennings was 2018 - the year Seibold was coach - and criticized that his attack was too structured and predictable, and unable to score points in the finals.

Corey Allen responsible from Souths going from 6th to 4th? 😂

How much further could Souths have gone if Latrell was present, and Paulo hadn't fallen on him, and putting him out for the rest of the season?
We will never know BUT, a conveniently excluded fact.....
Sorry, got the year wrong but the point remains. The left hand side was already the teams biggest weapon before Latrell arrived.

Don't misquote me. I didn't say Allan was responsible for the team getting to the final 4, i said he was a part of that team.

Souths also could've crashed out in the opening weeks of the finals. 2020 Latrell was underwhelming for the most part.

If Souths didn't sign Latrell to win a premiership, why did they sign him?

Travitoh

First Grade
Tom has played off the bench, but if it makes you happy, you can substitute him into the starting line up.

Obviously if we were to combine the two, I'd have no argument with your selection, but that isn't the aim of this, it's a discussion about either or.

Teo in the middle was never mentioned or discussed.

This is about head-to-head matchup. Your last statement is subjective, but I'm talking about physical dominance. "Destroyed" with Sam, George, and Isaac? I think you discount the possibility of the destruction these 3 would be reeking on the opposition, and the gas that would take out of the opposition.

Isaac was every bit as mobile as Cook, but a much more physical presence who has one thing Cook has never had - the ability to score from dummy half on the opposition try line.

If you are so focused on mobility and athletic ability, how does that explain the dominance of the Melbourne pack, when I wouldn't think that term could be used to describe almost any of the starters?
George and Tyrrell were too slow and would constantly be offside. They'd be lucky to play 40 minutes which will put a strain on the remainder of the forward pack. 2014 Isaac Luke would be a weapon today i agree.

The Melbourne pack may not appear mobile but they're quicker off the line than Souths and are capable of playing 60+ minutes. Same goes for Penrith.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Sorry, got the year wrong but the point remains. The left hand side was already the teams biggest weapon before Latrell arrived.

Don't misquote me. I didn't say Allan was responsible for the team getting to the final 4, i said he was a part of that team.

Souths also could've crashed out in the opening weeks of the finals. 2020 Latrell was underwhelming for the most part.

If Souths didn't sign Latrell to win a premiership, why did they sign him?
First statement: no worries, and yes what you say is true but, again, the criticism was the team then was too structured and predictable.

It should be obvious why Latrell was signed: he is a match winner, he has X-factor, he can be one of the most brilliant footballers in the world on his day, all more often than not. And, most importantly, he WANTED to come to Souths.

He may have been underwhelming for a lot of 2020 but he was not fit, he was learning a new position, new team structures and play, new teammates, new combinations, new TRUST. All this takes some time to develop, he just can't hit the ground running from the get-go. But he was just starting to hit his stride. And he was out injured, (thank you Paulo 😂) when it really counted. That's why we will need to be 100% injury free to have a chance at the trophy, but also applies to Manly and Penrith. One injury to Turbo, they are finished. Cleary is now a big worry for them. Parra are done.

Your final question: as I've said, I can see a strategy in place - we don't have the pack that can dominate the best packs, or available fowards to recruit in free agency, salary cap issues aside, so the answer is to have the best backline, ability to score more points than anyone else, and use the new rule changes to our advantage by making the pack more mobile, but the consequence is less physically dominant. Whether it works.....we will see.

assess5

Juniors
First statement: no worries, and yes what you say is true but, again, the criticism was the team then was too structured and predictable.

It should be obvious why Latrell was signed: he is a match winner, he has X-factor, he can be one of the most brilliant footballers in the world on his day, all more often than not. And, most importantly, he WANTED to come to Souths.

He may have been underwhelming for a lot of 2020 but he was not fit, he was learning a new position, new team structures and play, new teammates, new combinations, new TRUST. All this takes some time to develop, he just can't hit the ground running from the get-go. But he was just starting to hit his stride. And he was out injured, (thank you Paulo 😂) when it really counted. That's why we will need to be 100% injury free to have a chance at the trophy, but also applies to Manly and Penrith. One injury to Turbo, they are finished. Cleary is now a big worry for them. Parra are done.

Your final question: as I've said, I can see a strategy in place - we don't have the pack that can dominate the best packs, or available fowards to recruit in free agency, salary cap issues aside, so the answer is to have the best backline, ability to score more points than anyone else, and use the new rule changes to our advantage by making the pack more mobile, but the consequence is less physically dominant. Whether it works.....we will see.
With Reynolds, Sua and now Gagai gone, most of Souths salary cap issues should be alleviated, one would hope.

Jim Rockford

Bench
It's all well and good to cut a bunch of players to free up cash, but if there are no quality replacements available or you spend that money on duds then it's really not that smart a move.

assess5

Juniors
It's all well and good to cut a bunch of players to free up cash, but if there are no quality replacements available or you spend that money on duds then it's really not that smart a move.
not talking about what might happen, talking about what has happened. looks like Souths are going to rely on developing their juniors. nothing wrong with that.

maybe the days of $800.00 forwards are gone and only true super stars like Latrell get paid millions.

Robbie 12

Juniors
Hi guy,
decided to google how George burgess is going in England,

In February 2021 wigan announced that by mutual consent with Burgess he was being released from his contract and after an operation on his hip scheduled for March 2021 would spend most of the rest of the year undergoing a physical rehabilitation programme…..do think they would want him to come back….sounds injury prone, I guess we need backs

Travitoh

First Grade

We're going to have to wait and see how this season ends but if Souths don't win the comp and the squad is dismantled, the signings of Latrell, Arrow and Bennett have been for nothing. That's not to say the individuals have been flops but if you're not signing players to win, why are you signing players?

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
We're going to have to wait and see how this season ends but if Souths don't win the comp and the squad is dismantled, the signings of Latrell, Arrow and Bennett have been for nothing. That's not to say the individuals have been flops but if you're not signing players to win, why are you signing players?
Yeah, Arrow is starting to worry me. A hell of a lot of money, and the return value just isn't there so far....

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Hi guy,
decided to google how George burgess is going in England,

In February 2021 wigan announced that by mutual consent with Burgess he was being released from his contract and after an operation on his hip scheduled for March 2021 would spend most of the rest of the year undergoing a physical rehabilitation programme…..do think they would want him to come back….sounds injury prone, I guess we need backs
Hasn't he signed with St.George?

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
not talking about what might happen, talking about what has happened. looks like Souths are going to rely on developing their juniors. nothing wrong with that.

maybe the days of $800.00 forwards are gone and only true super stars like Latrell get paid millions.
Like Arrow??

Travitoh

First Grade
Yeah, Arrow is starting to worry me. A hell of a lot of money, and the return value just isn't there so far....
To be fair to Arrow, it's more how he's been utilised than his form that's been the issue. He's doing everything we should realistically expect him to. Wether he's playing up to his price tag or not is a question of recruitment, not the player.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Wow ok didn’t know that, still confused south’s clearing all these players and signing who ….zero ?
The funniest thing is all the Stain Merge supporters who used to say he couldn't hold onto the ball and was overrated are now proclaiming him as one of the games premier front-rowers. As for who we have signed, I'm not holding my breath as we are proving to be very inept in that department.