What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

southsport

First Grade
Of course you were precious, they call you to clear all major decisions, I know.
I guess I don't live in your fairy tale land.
Listen mate, I'm here for a bit of friendly chat, if you want to do same then that's fine but if you want to argue go and find someone else.

handyman2190

Bench
we need a quality centre and backrower still to replace Gagai and Su’a.
A Lomax and Tapine/Papalii/Matterson
Mate youve got it all wrong, we dont have much cap,the idea shifting reynolds sua gagai,mago was to have money to resign players, your picks would burst the cap, we need either young cheapies eg niu, probably a 250 to 300k buy and a cheap second rower, prop will be moale

DynamicRabbit1

Juniors
Mate that’s apprx $1.6M that we have let go with those 3 alone. We offered Reyno $700k and Gagai $500k that coin has to go somewhere
The club rolls out the “no cap” line to stop player agents trying to bump up $$

Mate that’s apprx $1.6M that we have let go with those 3 alone. We offered Reyno $700k and Gagai $500k that coin has to go somewhere

you wouldn’t have a clue what we offered anyone & you wouldn’t know what anyone is being paid

callmack1

Staff member
'I find a purpose in that' - Walker's mission to create positive change: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...at-walkers-mission-to-create-positive-change/

Also, from Sporting News,

NRL mapping multiple options for relocation and Grand Final, says Peter V'landys

Peter V'landys has confirmed the NRL is in discussions with other governments as it prepares to potentially pull the entire competition out of South East Queensland.

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) chairman admits the governing body was completely blindsided by the Queensland government's snap lockdown on Saturday, which forced the NRL to unexpectedly postpone matches.

While games were able to continue on Sunday amidst a reshuffled schedule, the NRL faces the prospect of having no crowds for the remainder of the regular season, as the costs resulting from the relocation north of the border continue to rise.

It comes after Queensland recorded another 15 new COVID-19 cases on Monday, which saw the lockdown extended until at least Sunday night.

V'landys says the next four days will determine the NRL's next move, with the chances of sending all 16 clubs interstate just a month after setting up base in Queensland a strong possibility.

"We're looking at various options at the moment," the ARLC boss told Big Sports Breakfast.

"We don't want to say too much but we have to plan ahead and if the situation gets worse in Queensland we want to see the five rounds out.

"And we certainly want to have crowds for the semi-finals. We'll be looking at the data very closely in Queensland in the next couple of days, we base all our decisions on the data.

"We've got a number of options and we'll implement the best option at that particular time."

V'landys revealed the Queensland government gave no notice to the NRL of the decision to suspend all professional sport on Saturday, before the public announcement was made.

He thanked premier Annastacia Palaszczuk for being open to allowing the competition to resume, however.

"We were aware there was a possibility of a lockdown and they did tell us that," V'landys said.

"We were prepared to play with no crowds and then we were listening to the press conference and they said there's no professional sport being played. That took us a little bit by surprise.

"The best thing is we were able to negotiate with them, I spoke to the premier and I assured her we'd be no risk to the community and we would bring in new protocols and they were open to that. That's the most important thing, they weren't bloody-minded, they didn't discount us... they basically listened and we were able to play."

The NRL isn't expected to evacuate Queensland unless there is a genuine threat to the competition going ahead.

Further weighing on the relocation call is the fact that the majority of players' families complete their 14 days of hotel quarantine on Wednesday.

"We've proven we are no risk and we can continue to play," he added.

"We've now got a blanket approval for this round and we will play this round in Queensland and we'll look at the data in the next three to four days.

"We are talking to other governments and planning ahead just in case. You've always got to be a step ahead of this virus because if you're not it'll get you."

The NRL is also in the process of mapping out contingency plans for the hosting of the grand final.

While it was considered almost certain a fortnight ago, Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium's bid to hold the showpiece event is under severe threat, with Melbourne's MCG now emerging as a strong suitor.

Owing in Melbourne's favour is the 104,000 seat capacity of the oval-shaped ground, which carries exceptional financial benefits to the NRL.

V'landys expects to have an answer on who will host the 2021 decider in the next two weeks.

"You have to make decisions based on what's best for the game as a whole," he declared.

"We want an audience, we want atmosphere and of course we need revenue. This has cost us a lot of money, to be relocated, and we want to make as much money as we can and there's one opportunity (to do that) and that's the grand final.

"We probably won't make a decision over the next two weeks. We are discussing with various parties again and those negotiations will continue and we'll make a decision.

"The criteria will be the crowds, the revenue and the atmosphere."

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
you wouldn’t have a clue what we offered anyone & you wouldn’t know what anyone is being paid
wrong d***head, the top 150 paid players is a published list, published in the Telegraph, and the figures are taken from the NRL. The links have been previous posted in this thread, and this subject has been discussed many times.
The cutoff was around 400K, so any Souths player making more than that is on the list.
Typical rookie - get off your arse and do some research before looking stupid

handyman2190

Bench
Mate its well known that the club is in a mess with the cap,they stuffed it, and is part of the reason for reynolds and gagai being offered 1 year deals and no offer for sua.
Also mago is going to the UK and benji looks to be retiring.
Moale looks to be taking magos spot, the milf benjis, so we need a back rower and a centre for gagais spot,hoping tesi nui.
All budget buys.
Noone is happy because we also have some dead wood that needs shifting,eg marsters, jed cartwright.
You should contact botany born and bred he has proclaimed himself the expert about this situation,lol

southsport

First Grade
Mate its well known that the club is in a mess with the cap,they stuffed it, and is part of the reason for reynolds and gagai being offered 1 year deals and no offer for sua.
Also mago is going to the UK and benji looks to be retiring.
Moale looks to be taking magos spot, the milf benjis, so we need a back rower and a centre for gagais spot,hoping tesi nui.
All budget buys.
Noone is happy because we also have some dead wood that needs shifting,eg marsters, jed cartwright.
You should contact botany born and bred he has proclaimed himself the expert about this situation,lol
It's a shame about Mago leaving, I guess the offer he got from the ESL was too good to refuse.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Yeah, but that's not the way to look at.

The way to look at it is to look at the committed salary going forward, not the "savings" when someone doesn't resign.

When this article was written in May, if the figures were correct, Souths had only $2mil to spend on another 16 players - if they signed Reynolds

You also need to factor in that since this article, Souths have resigned the 6 young'uns', I'm not sure how many of them count to the cap, but Taafe definitely would, and possibly Mamazuelos as well.

And now we have also signed Milford, it wasn't announced how much. Milford is still gonna be paid $1mil because he is still under contract with the Broncos, but instead of the Broncos footing the whole bill, we will now be paying some of this. The speculation is that it is around the 300K mark.

People say, "oh we got him cheap", "he isn't on much" etc etc.
But add Milford (say 300K), Mansour (say 200K), these little bits all start to add up.

The final thing I'm gonna say about all this is that its easy to say, "Souths stuffed up their cap" but it's not so straightforward.

Firstly, many seem to forget the salary cap was reduced by about 600K for this year, and next year - this decision was made only before the start of the season. When you've got guys already signed and on the books, and then after this you are told you're money is reduced, it creates a salary crunch - that's not the club's fault. And that takes time to sort itself out - only by expiring contracts.

Secondly, during this period, some contracts got upgraded like Latrell, Tatola, and the 6 young guys. Is anyone saying we should not have given Latrell more money to stay?

Thirdly, maybe the club didn't actually want to keep Gagai, or Sua, or even Reynolds beyond the expiry of their current contracts and planned it all along.

Fourthly, there's at least one contract due to end next season - Cody Walker - are we gonna keep him? If so, we are not only going to need to put money aside for him, but we might have to increase his salary because if we don't, some other club definitely will.

That's not to say the club hasn't made mistakes, in my opinion.

Cartwright is a straight out mistake - don't know his money but it would be about 250-350K. He is a dud, and should never have been signed.

Knight was a mistake but this one is easy to say in hindsight. At the time he resigned, he was in career best form, and had knocked back higher offers (rumored to be around the 500K mark from Parra) to stay with us.

Tatola resigned for 3 years - I would have only offered him 2, but you risk him walking away, without a lot of decent props available on the market.

Mansour is IMO another mistake, but the club doesn't seem sure about Paulo just yet.

Moga is a waste but he is off the books at the end of the season.

Arrow could be a big mistake. The club got him for 850K for 4 years. They panicked after Sam's retirement, and Arrow was available and in top form in a shit team. Is he worth it? Time will tell, but I reckon that is a lot of money to be paying a bench forward. He is more on the bench than he is a starter, and when he is on the field, it's not like your jaw is dropping down saying how good is he.

So far, Benji and Milne are working out well.

So it's easy to criticise the club, but so far I think they are doing ok, aside from these mistakes above. And my own personal preference that we should have kept Adam Reynolds.

Latest posts