What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

callmack1

Staff member
'It's a great honour' - Slater named new Maroons coach: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/09/24/its-a-great-honour-slater-named-new-maroons-coach/

NRL ‘blindsided’ clubs with expansion call - it sparked fears of a player feeding frenzy: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/98c6cd68e986e61242edfae729b1819e

Star wants to be a Rabbit for life

He has no intentions of going anywhere.

SCOTT PRYDE
EDITOR
SEPTEMBER 24, 2021

South Sydney Rabbitohs star Cody Walker has spoken of his desire to finish his career at Redfern.

While Wayne Bennett will make his exit at the end of the season, and so too halves partner Adam Reynolds, Walker has no intentions of leaving.

The exits of Bennett, who is currently unsigned but heavily linked with the NRL's expansion franchise - either the Redcliffe Dolphins, Brisbane Jets or Brisbane Firehawks - and Reynolds, who has signed a new contract with the Brisbane Broncos, will leave Walker as one of the most experienced players at the club.

Joining Bennett and Reynolds out the door at Redfern is Queensland Origin centre Dane Gagai, with Jason Demetriou set to take over the coaching.

Walker has had a phenomenal season, going past 30 try assists and breaking all sorts of records on the way as South Sydney's left edge became one of the most feared attacking weapons in the competition.

The star 31-year-old has told The Daily Telegraph that he wants to finish his career at Redfern, and that he has years left thanks to a late NRL debut.

“Because I came into the NRL at 26, I didn’t have the bash-and-barge of first grade since the age of 18. My body is still in good shape," Walker said.

“I absolutely love the club, I love everything about the place and my kids love the club so I can’t see why I wouldn’t stay.

“You never know what the future can hold, but I can’t see myself playing for another club.

“It would be nice to finish my career here.”

Speculation surrounding Walker's future contract and potential destination has been heating up, with some suggesting he could be worth up to $1 million once his current deal expires at the end of 2022. He is currently on a figure reported to be around $650,000.

With Reynolds and Gagai departing, as well as a focus on youth with the likes of Blake Taafe and Lachlan Ilias in the system, the Rabbitohs should have the cash to splash on Walker, who will be one of the senior members next season.

The explosive half however will undoubtedly have negotiations with the Rabbitohs over the length of the contract, given South Sydney have previously expressed an unwillingness to offer long-term contracts to older players, such as Reynolds who was squeezed out of the club because of it.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Source Daily Telegraph

What’s the Buzz: South Sydney Rabbitohs’ grand final roster built on medical retirements

The Rabbitohs were expected to dip after the medical retirements of superstars Sam Burgess and Greg Inglis but, with salary cap deductions, they have maintained a star-studded roster.

September 25, 2021 - 9:00PM

The conversations around South Sydney’s management of their salary cap and grand final roster in recent years will not go away.

Sam Burgess may have finally explained how he medically retired with a multimillion-dollar payout … but is still able to complete the most arduous drills on SAS Australia.

Burgess’ payout — along with Greg Inglis’ medical retirement — was deducted from the South Sydney Rabbitohs’ salary cap and allowed the club to sign the likes of Latrell Mitchell and Jai Arrow and upgrade Blues Origin forward and future captain Cameron Murray.

Despite chronic shoulder injuries that forced him out of the NRL, Burgess has shown remarkable strength and resilience on Channel 7’s TV show. Your columnist watched last week. Seriously, he looked fit enough to play against Manly on Friday night.

The Rabbitohs also had the Inglis medical retirement in 2019. Another multimillion-dollar contract that was taken off their salary cap.

Yet 18 months later he is okay to make a comeback in the UK Super League with Warrington. An incredible recovery!

Rabbitohs chief executive Blake Solly is an honourable man and we’re not suggesting in any way this has been a rort. He acted on the opinions of medical experts who declared the two superstars were unfit to play NRL.

However it is an area the NRL needs to keep an eye on in future in the name of fair play.

Looks like Slothfield is back at it @callmack1 you know what I say he’s salty as he can suck shit baby! He’s just trying to stir shit.

GI wasn’t even medically retired either. He forewent his salary.

Source Daily Telegraph

What’s the Buzz: South Sydney Rabbitohs’ grand final roster built on medical retirements

The Rabbitohs were expected to dip after the medical retirements of superstars Sam Burgess and Greg Inglis but, with salary cap deductions, they have maintained a star-studded roster.

The conversations around South Sydney’s management of their salary cap and grand final roster in recent years will not go away.

Sam Burgess may have finally explained how he medically retired with a multimillion-dollar payout … but is still able to complete the most arduous drills on SAS Australia.

Burgess’ payout — along with Greg Inglis’ medical retirement — was deducted from the South Sydney Rabbitohs’ salary cap and allowed the club to sign the likes of Latrell Mitchell and Jai Arrow and upgrade Blues Origin forward and future captain Cameron Murray.

Despite chronic shoulder injuries that forced him out of the NRL, Burgess has shown remarkable strength and resilience on Channel 7’s TV show. Your columnist watched last week. Seriously, he looked fit enough to play against Manly on Friday night.

The Rabbitohs also had the Inglis medical retirement in 2019. Another multimillion-dollar contract that was taken off their salary cap.

Yet 18 months later he is okay to make a comeback in the UK Super League with Warrington. An incredible recovery!

Rabbitohs chief executive Blake Solly is an honourable man and we’re not suggesting in any way this has been a rort. He acted on the opinions of medical experts who declared the two superstars were unfit to play NRL.

However it is an area the NRL needs to keep an eye on in future in the name of fair play.

Looks like Slothfield is back at it @callmack1 you know what I say he’s salty as he can suck shit baby! He’s just trying to stir shit.

Souths Sombero

1632580895187.png

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Source Daily Telegraph

Slothfield with typical Murdoch-Fox fake news journalism. You only got to look at the parent U.S. website to see.

If it was a rort, Sam would have been playing again. Like this fool "reported" previously that Sam would. It never happened.

Like "the stolen election", it never happened.

Slothfield needs to be put into medical retirement.

Permanently.

Too bad we don't have euthanasia laws in place yet in NSW

handyman2190

Bench
No way the Chin gets suspended, it's just not going to happen
Was there any shadow of doubt that noone especially pimple chin has been cleared to play, yesterday they lay over the storm players and got away with it, i think there was 1 6 again, and you cant tell me they dont jump early at the ruck to tackle, they are dirty cheets.
Its going to be a difficult ask

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Was there any shadow of doubt that noone especially pimple chin has been cleared to play, yesterday they lay over the storm players and got away with it, i think there was 1 6 again, and you cant tell me they dont jump early at the ruck to tackle, they are dirty cheets.
Its going to be a difficult ask
They gonna have to come up with a strategy to counter them jumping off the line fast. Harper and Cherry Evans were doing it all night, but Cook and Taafe on the left helped break that down.

Latest posts