What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ratings

Perth Red

Post Whore
So it would appear that the souths game had 159k watching on kayo. Gives us an idea of how many are tuning in on that medium.

Billythekid

First Grade
So it would appear that the souths game had 159k watching on kayo. Gives us an idea of how many are tuning in on that medium.

That's an insane amount. Their are NRL games on fox that barely reach that. Kinda shows how hard it is to analyse these numbers without kayo numbers.

Also don't want to go down this road too much but the NRL have dropped the ball regarding womens sport and the AFL are miles ahead in terms of mindshare. Even here in Newcastle i feel like there is a lot of interest and we're the home of rugby league really. IMO we'll see the AFLW surge ahead and it will have a big impact long term in terms of the battle between the 2 codes.

Perth Tiger

Bench
That's an insane amount. Their are NRL games on fox that barely reach that. Kinda shows how hard it is to analyse these numbers without kayo numbers.

Also don't want to go down this road too much but the NRL have dropped the ball regarding womens sport and the AFL are miles ahead in terms of mindshare. Even here in Newcastle i feel like there is a lot of interest and we're the home of rugby league really. IMO we'll see the AFLW surge ahead and it will have a big impact long term in terms of the battle between the 2 codes.

Agreed re the women's game, whether some people like it or not, the women's game will be a major driver for growth in the near to mid future and we are going at a snails pace as usual.

The AFL have given us an advantage though since they cramp there comp into the pre season and are now finished. It gives us a lot of air time to fill the space.

It would be a bit back to front the the current season lends itself to having a mid season rep comp three game origin season (doesn't have to be on the same night as the mens). Find an opponent for NZ to have a three game series and then a three game AUs v NZ series for a 6-8 week block. Then have a small break and head back into an expanded NRLW comp of at least 6 working towards 8 teams

Perth Red

Post Whore

Its a classic example of the difference in approach by the two codes. In AFL they could see the value of jumping in neck deep and invested significantly in setting it up, promoting it and getting tv on board. In NRL they could see it was a good idea but didnt want to spend the money so set up a token comp that the clubs have to fund. From a media value point of view I would imagine AFLW will be quite a selling point in their extension deals where as NRLW probably was hardly mentioned in the Fox extension negotiations.

The_Wookie

Bench
NRL THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTY

• LIVE VIEWING
    • Timeslot winner in Sydney & Brisbane
    • National peak audience across the Nine Network: 747,000 (Metro: 435,000 / Regional: 312,000).
    • National average audience across the Nine Network: 582,000 (Metro: 364,000 / Regional: 218,000).
    • No. 1 program of the night in Sydney with People 16-39 and No.1 program of the night Brisbane with GS+CH.

Are they not being funded from the Federal purse? And when I say that - the AFLW competition is being covered by Canberra and not the AFL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are they not being funded from the Federal purse? And when I say that - the AFLW competition is being covered by Canberra and not the AFL.

not that I can find, just facility development for women’s participation, similar to rugby league. They do seem to be successful in getting state funding to directly fund aflw clubs and might be something the nrl and its clubs should start lobbying for?

Nerd

Bench
not that I can find, just facility development for women’s participation, similar to rugby league. They do seem to be successful in getting state funding to directly fund aflw clubs and might be something the nrl and its clubs should start lobbying for?
That is the one thing i agree on. The AFL do a much better job getting state governments to help fund facility development than the NRL. Here in Brisbane you see new AFL facilities popping up here and there and minimal amounts spent on the same Rugby League facilities. Considering that RL is the number one football code in the state with daylight second it possibly highlights how much the NRL concentrate on NSW and the Sydney market in particular over other areas.

wittyfan

Referee
Wouldn't surprise me if the Titans-Rabbitohs game outrated Eels-Broncos on Fox last night.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It must be sooooo difficult for all those fumbleball fans in attendance at the game to keep paying attention while behinds are accrued while missing goals

It’s a random statement you’ve made, but you may be right.

Latest posts