What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Season reviews.

Rich102

Staff member
Michael Burgess
OPINION:

After a promising start, with two wins from their first three games, the Warriors' 2021 season descended badly, another campaign of disappointment and missed opportunities. Michael Burgess analyses the key questions.

Is Nathan Brown the right man for the job?

The jury is still out. His job is safe and the owners will give him at least one more season, having thrown so many resources behind him.

But he has a lot to prove, after an extremely disappointing campaign.

Injuries were a factor, especially Addin Fonua-Blake, Chad Townsend and Tohu Harris, but he still had a decent roster, but only managed eight wins from 24 games.

Nathan Brown couldn't get the best out of his players, which is the primary role of a coach. Photo / Photosport
Brown is open, approachable, good with the media and seems to have a strong feel for the unique aspects of the club.

It wouldn't have been easy running the Warriors' ship in 2021, with the split pre-seasons, the constant uncertainty and relocations, as well as several curveballs, like the loss of Josh Curran and Euan Aitken after potential Covid contact and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck's untimely exit.

But as a selector, he never seemed to settle on his best line up, even allowing for injuries.
There was constant change and that inconsistency of selection surely didn't help consistency on the field.

Above all, Brown couldn't get the best out of his players, often enough, which is the primary role of a coach.

What about his coaching staff?

Assistants Craig Hodges and Justin Morgan will be under the microscope.

Hodges oversaw an attack that often misfired, as execution was an issue for much of the year. At times they were sharp, through the middle and out wide, but too often basic skills and decision making let them down.

Morgan (defence coach) will have a lot to ponder. The Warriors were extremely resilient at times but could be porous through the middle and on the edges.

The new rules were a factor, as the game has descended into touch football at times, but the total tries (112) and points conceded (622) were the club's worst since the chaotic season of 2004.

How bad was this campaign?

Firstly, there are some caveats.

If the team played 12 games at Mt Smart in 2021, they would surely have had a different record. So comparisons with previous campaigns are difficult, but Andrew McFadden was sacked in 2016 after achieving 10 wins, including four over top eight teams.

The statistics aren't great, especially the 5-13 record after 18 games, before the late resurgence, while the negative points differential (-181) is the worst since 2009.

Last season was more turbulent, with loan players and relocations, but interim coach Todd Payten managed a 40 per cent win record (8/20) compared to 33 per cent this year.

This was a particularly lop-sided season, with the top six well ahead of the rest. There were several clubs rebuilding or in disarray, but the Warriors couldn't escape the poor peloton around them.

What is the biggest issue?

Warriors players look on during their loss to the Titans. Photo / Photosport
Accountability. Standards are still not high enough, and too many players haven't performed to their potential. Unheralded wing Marcelo Montoya set the bar with his attitude and commitment, but few others matched that level.

It's been a perfect storm, with some senior men not shaping up and not enough young ones able to take the next step. Only a handful of players have improved their games this season.

In terms of other issues, game management and settling on a defined style of play aren't far behind.

What about leadership?

There's been a definite vacuum, with Tuivasa-Sheck's departure and the absence of Harris. Several of the new men aren't natural leaders and the likes of Jazz Tevaga, who has been in the leadership group before, was in and out of the team.

Is there any hope for the future?

Of course – it's the Warriors – so there always is.

Shaun Johnson won't be a silver bullet, though he will make a considerable difference next season, if he stays healthy.

The back three is solid, and Reece Walsh in particular will benefit enormously from a proper pre-season.

Addin Fonua-Blake has proved a fantastic recruit and Aaron Pene will add to a decent prop rotation, while Josh Curran and Wayde Egan can build on decent campaigns.

But the mountain is steep.

Leber

Bench
The worst decision brown has made all year was resigning Tevaga.

That and continuing to play Evans

Meth

Staff member
I can't believe Evans threw punches again. And still didn't land any. There just isn't a lot of upside with him

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, He leads them into trouble.
He is now a penalty magnet. (Has been for a while.)
It's just not right to have that many people in the side who are ill-disciplined. Burgess is right, there is a leadership vacuum. We've recruited well in terms of heart, but I really think we're lacking massively in terms of mana and hard-headed, disciplined leadership. When RTS and Harris were out, we were rudderless.

Meth

Staff member
I don't know why we'd ever take anything Kemp says seriously

Matua

Bench
Is he really wrong though? I thought many of his points were accurate.
I think he's expressed many of the thoughts I've had about this current team, he just wasn't as explicit in stating that they replace NZers with Ozzies.

I see forum favourite Cameron George is whinging about the shitty carry on by the players on Sunday. Maybe you should have thought about that before whistling up Lodge into your squad?

jaseg

Juniors
Is he really wrong though? I thought many of his points were accurate.

Not really. Let's go through them.

“Nepotism means you give most of the money at the club to your relatives, and you know who his father in law is, don’t you? It’s the recruitment manager O’Sullivan and his son (Sean) is the halfback."

a) Most of the money? 400k/yr average for Lodge is probably unders (which ends up being more like market rate when you factor in his past). He's massively dwarfed by AFB & Tohu just as fellow middles, let alone others in the squad... I mean shit, we're paying Fus more than him. I believe the current average NRL salary is sitting just above 330k/yr, so he's not that much above that.
b) Sean was the 4th half in the squad this year. Kemp's there making it sound like he's the starting f**king 7. And for being the 4th half in the squad, I had already made a case in a thread earlier this season (something about nepotism...) as to why that's totally understandable - we signed the kid as a 21yo former junior kangaroo and NSW origin player who had played less than 10 first grade games. That's not nepotism, just a low-risk gamble on a kid with pedigree.

“New Zealand’s got a dime a dozen as far as front-rowers go."

Then where are they all? There's a few really good Kiwis (JBrom, JFH stand out) that are well and truly locked up elsewhere, but the fact is, genuinely good front rowers aren't all that common anywhere at the moment.

“On Sunday (against the Titans) the young halfback who came on and played hooker (Erin Clark) was let go, Patrick Herbert was a centre they let go for Euan Aitken, who has ended up in the second row.

“You also had a front-rower (Sam Lisone) or the Titans who they let go again… and they all came and stuck it up them and they make the eight."

Lisone was and remains pretty crappy. A poor man's version of Lodge, funnily enough. Dopey as f**k ball playing prop. Clark would be my backup Kiwis hooker if we had a world cup this year, but the suggestion he's better than Egan is pretty laughable. Besides, we didn't move him on - from my recollection he was going through some personal stuff and requested a release. It's not like leaving NZ was a magical solution either, because a similar thing happened when he got to Canberra.

Herbert is the only criticism of the three with merit, and I think most here were disappointed we didn't retain him. Hardly cutting edge critique.

"They’ve got no hooker, their hooker (Wayde Egan) can’t tackle."

Now he's gone from wrong into absolutely f**king crazy. Egan's defense is good, and one of the best parts of his game - before even considering that he played this year with that shoulder injury seemingly sustained in the first game of the season.

Some f**king how the easiest criticism to get right was the Kane Evans signing, and he doesn't appear to have gone there. Kemp's a moron grasping at straws, having a whinge because the team wasn't good and it's easy. The underlying Kiwi nationalist thing makes me roll my eyes - I don't think this is much else.

JJ

Immortal
I’m not sure any critical analysis of Kemp’s musing is a productive use of anyone’s time…. I mean, it’s Tony Kemp, right? Nuff said…

Benek

Juniors
His reasons for thinking we need a hooker are wrong, but I've been saying since the pre-season that I thought we were short on hooking talent and that has proven to be a weakness.

He's also right that we let some players go that we probably should have kept, and signed some players we should have avoided. I don't agree with the details of his analysis, but I think the broad strokes are on the money.

His reasons for thinking we need a hooker are wrong, but I've been saying since the pre-season that I thought we were short on hooking talent and that has proven to be a weakness.

He's also right that we let some players go that we probably should have kept, and signed some players we should have avoided. I don't agree with the details of his analysis, but I think the broad strokes are on the money.
Do we think Papalli would be playing like us as he has for the Eels?
There is motivation in being moved on, there are different coaching techniques that may work better for you as a player, fitness drills, different team structures and roles. Let alone the social influences outside of the club that can happen.
I always find it hard to think of them as the one that got away if they only show the talent after they leave.

Rich102

Staff member
Tireless Vodafone Warriors back rower Tohu Harris has today been awarded the club’s highest accolade – the Simon Mannering Medal – for the second year running.

Despite a season-ending ACL knee injury limiting him to 15 appearances, the 29-year-old’s standout consistency was acknowledged again when the Vodafone Warriors’ 27th annual awards were held offshore for the first time in the club’s history due to Covid-19’s ongoing impact.

At a function attended by teammates, staff, families and old boys, Harris has become the fourth player to win the title in consecutive years after Steve Price, Simon Mannering and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

While the Simon Mannering Medal – jointly determined by the coaching staff and players – went to Harris, first-year Vodafone Warrior and stand-in captain Addin Fonua-Blake was voted the Players’ Player of the Year by his teammates.

The 19-year-old Reece Walsh was a predictable choice for the Vodafone Rookie of the Year award following his wonderful deeds from the moment he made his debut at the age of 18 in the Anzac Day clash against Melbourne.

The fourth of the club’s main awards, the Canterbury of New Zealand Clubman of the Year, was won by another first-year Vodafone Warrior, winger Marcelo Montoya.

The 25-year-old marked his arrival at the club with consistent performances across his 18 appearances, finishing with five tries and averaging a career-best 123 metres a game.

Warriors email.