What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

denis preston

First Grade
Don't think Hook would allow this ( upset the dynamics of the team ) There will be injuries ..... For me its a good signing .....

Great signing, right price that won't prohibit further signings under our salary cap next year. Far better than Fifita , who could have been a major killer of our new found spirit. Mentioned before of our 12 man pack options should injury & burn out occur , which it will in some form or another. With Burns & McGuire & perhaps Debellin coming on board gives guarantees that 2018 wont happen.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Still a little iffy on this signing, but will run with it.

Maguire from thr bench to replace Poasa at this stage and will add more impact from there. Being versitile he can play both prop and lock so he adds flexibility in that area. Ellis is the unlucky one, thought his game v Eels was very good.
Don't know if he plays this week, given he wouldn't habe trained with the squad as the announcement stated he'll arrive later in the week, plus the elbow injury. But leave that to Hook.

denis preston

First Grade
With these signing you would think Hook has been given the green light to sign who he wants without interference from the board ....

The board just left the football club to the then coaches, CEO , football manager & Millward & that was the problem , bloody armatures. With Webby on Board & Hook & asst coaches , they are basically making all the decisions, so that suits me. Only Millward & Haran have survived ? Be interesting what Webby & Hook think of them.

I like this signing. Every team needs that one hard nosed idiot in there forward pack.
Controlled aggression needs to be the key.
I still remember he was MOTM in the semi 2009 against us as a 19 year old prop.
We now have other clubs paying for some of our players for this year and some next (Bird, McCullough, McGuire).
If we are going to play hard and fast all year we will need to rest forwards so they don’t burn out so I like the addition.
Who’s next.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Never liked this grub as a player but Hook seems to be making some good calls and not just plucking players out of the air when available on the market like Mary/Millward. If Hook can get the best out him it will be a solid signing and we could do with some more mongrel in the pack so lets see how it goes.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Taking a look at our forward stocks as they stand:

Props:
Lawrie - Prop only
Alvaro - Prop only
Ellis - Prop, Lock
Vaughan - Prop only
Faama - Prop only (imo)
Merrin - Prop (preferred), Lock (if necessary)
Maguire - Prop, Lock
De Belin* - Prop (most likely), Lock

* pending court case.

Edge:
Burns - (not sure if he could play lock also)
Ford - Edge, Lock (if necessary)
Kerr - Edge (preferred), Prop (if necessary)
Sims - Edge

Lock:
Fui - Lock, Edge
H. Lomax - development player most unlikely to figure (imo)

Hooker:
Macca -
Brittain - doubts over his future

Given the above and hearing chat about us seeking an edge forward who can play hooker (or visa-versa) seems the correct way to go. From being short in the prop department to now (DeBelin excluded) we now seem ok. Although Fui seems the only lock, there are others who can share that role. Edge forward is a concern with both Burns and Ford youngsters at this stage. If both went down we'd be in a little bit of trouble. Hooker, well let's hope the rumour is on the money and trust Hook to see this also.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I have my doubts about this signing and hope it doesn’t upset the dynamics of the team. Some one will have to be dropped and I don’t think anyone deserves it.
The Williame spot at 17 will likely go it would give us a relentless forward rotation, if not already teams will really fear us.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Taking a look at our forward stocks as they stand:

Props:
Lawrie - Prop only
Alvaro - Prop only
Ellis - Prop, Lock
Vaughan - Prop only
Faama - Prop only (imo)
Merrin - Prop (preferred), Lock (if necessary)
Maguire - Prop, Lock
De Belin* - Prop (most likely), Lock

* pending court case.

Edge:
Burns - (not sure if he could play lock also)
Ford - Edge, Lock (if necessary)
Kerr - Edge (preferred), Prop (if necessary)
Sims - Edge

Lock:
Fui - Lock, Edge
H. Lomax - development player most unlikely to figure (imo)

Hooker:
Macca -
Brittain - doubts over his future

Given the above and hearing chat about us seeking an edge forward who can play hooker (or visa-versa) seems the correct way to go. From being short in the prop department to now (DeBelin excluded) we now seem ok. Although Fui seems the only lock, there are others who can share that role. Edge forward is a concern with both Burns and Ford youngsters at this stage. If both went down we'd be in a little bit of trouble. Hooker, well let's hope the rumour is on the money and trust Hook to see this also.
McGuire has played dummy half in the past, obviously not a preferred option but in a pinch he could cover there

Maddragon99

Juniors
With these signing you would think Hook has been given the green light to sign who he wants without interference from the board ....
Hook likes signing players he has had previous relationships with. I guess this would fast track the player into our culture & set up. Also interesting that players with a history with Hook are so keen to join us.

Thoroughly impressed with Hook so far I don’t think he could be doing any better. Form on the field has been excellent & recruitment of good players with salary subsidies from previous clubs. Big thumbs up from me :thumbsup: