What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Illusion

Bench
Hook likes signing players he has had previous relationships with. I guess this would fast track the player into our culture & set up. Also interesting that players with a history with Hook are so keen to join us.

Thoroughly impressed with Hook so far I don’t think he could be doing any better. Form on the field has been excellent & recruitment of good players with salary subsidies from previous clubs. Big thumbs up from me :thumbsup:
X2

Gareth67

First Grade
Dragons confirm McGuire signing
St George Illawarra have confirmed the signing of North Queensland Cowboys forward Josh McGuire following the completion of all official documentation.

The former Queensland Origin representative will join the Dragons with immediate effect, until at least the end of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The dual Australian and Samoan international has played 232 NRL games to date across 13 seasons at the Brisbane Broncos (2009-18) and Cowboys (2019-21).

One spot now remains in the Dragons' Top 30 for the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership season following McGuire's signing.

"The club has made no secret of its desire to sign an experienced forward for our current campaign and Josh certainly fits this bill," Dragons general manager of football Ben Haran said.

"Josh's standing in the game, both at NRL and representative level, cannot be denied and he will certainly add plenty to our current squad.

"We're looking forward to seeing Josh hit the ground running at the Dragons upon his arrival to training later this week."

The 31-year-old's signature comes days after the recruitment of Billy Burns from the Penrith Panthers.

McGuire and Burns join Andrew McCullough, Daniel Alvaro, Jack Bird and Poasa Faamausili as 2021 Dragons recruits and follows the recent retention of livewire outside back Cody Ramsey.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/04/13/dragons-confirm-mcguire-signing/

He is officially a Dragon now - so we all need to get behind the man regardless of his past history . Just keep your nose clean buddy and concentrate on playing footy , you are here to add some steel to the pack .

With yourself and Mr. Simms I believe that should be enough to keep the wolves from other teams at bay .

All previous sins are forgiven , he is starting off with a clean slate here at the Big Red V , so the best of luck to the man .

possm

Coach
I don't think any will have to be dropped this week as Lawrie is out. So it will be up to Griffin to decide where he will use McGuire. I am expecting McGuire to be on the bench.

Bayside Dragon

Juniors
My prediction is that we will not get either of the two. As with a lot of rumours and conjecture, the possible signings of any players like the Suli's, Welch's etc come to nought in the end. I'm predicting we will land someone else completely off the radar.
It came to nought because of the mindless, boring football we had a tradition of playing. That has quickly changed to being a team that that good players want to play with. As Hook predicted, might I add.

Dragon David

First Grade
It came to nought because of the mindless, boring football we had a tradition of playing. That has quickly changed to being a team that that good players want to play with. As Hook predicted, might I add.
Well, my prediction was wrong and we landed one of them. Hook had been cagey about McGuire but he knew who he was after and together with getting Molo for next year, our forward stocks will be much improved. Getting a versatile utility forward/hooker is next on the agenda to complete our signings subject to JDB's outcome and whose case in the courtroom has been delayed because of the jurors being dismissed today and a new one to be empanelled tomorrow.

blue bags

First Grade
I like this signing. Every team needs that one hard nosed idiot in there forward pack.
Controlled aggression needs to be the key.
I still remember he was MOTM in the semi 2009 against us as a 19 year old prop.
We now have other clubs paying for some of our players for this year and some next (Bird, McCullough, McGuire).
If we are going to play hard and fast all year we will need to rest forwards so they don’t burn out so I like the addition.
Who’s next.
go deep into the finals
81 min's from a grand final

getsmarty

Immortal
mcguirej-210320_sd_07_2021320205512.jpg

DRAGONS

Dragons welcome McGuire 'mongrel' after rep star joins Griffin's revolution
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 13 Apr 2021, 06:33 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Share on social media
St George Illawarra players are excited about the edge Josh McGuire will add to their forward pack after the former Kangaroos and Maroons forward finalised a mid-season transfer from North Queensland.

McGuire will join the Dragons on Wednesday after signing until the end of the 2022 season and has been named in coach Anthony Griffin's 21-man squad for Sunday’s match against the Warriors, alongside fellow new signing Billy Burns.

“Where he fits in I am not too sure,” second-rower Josh Kerr said. “We are obviously on a winning streak so we are going pretty well but Hook might have to have a tough conversation with someone or he might just have to earn his way in.”

However, Kerr and former Blues forward Trent Merrin, who has had a number of run-ins with McGuire in Origin, said he would be a welcome addition to the Red V squad.

remote.axd

Get Caught Up: Round 5 must-see moments

Get Caught Up: Round 5 must-see moments

“He has got the mongrel about him, he has got that seniority and he has played rep footy so he is a great player to have in your team,” Merrin said.

Kerr, who was a member of last year’s Queensland Origin squad, grew up watching McGuire play for the Maroons

“I used to watch him on TV and I used to think, ‘we have got Josh McGuire, we have got a bit of mongrel in the pack’. I think that’s why Hook has got him,” Kerr said.

Griffin coached McGuire at Brisbane, and recently added Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough to the St George Illawarra squad, which also includes their former team-mates Ben Hunt and Corey Norman.

The Dragons stunned Parramatta last Sunday night to move into the top four after four consecutive wins and confidence within the team is sky high after the inclusion of McGuire and Burns, who has moved into a spare room at his sister’s place near WIN Stadium after transferring from Penrith.

“It is interesting to see the Broncos old team come back together at the Dragons but it is good," Kerr said. "The blokes Hook has bought in have done a tremendous job and I am enjoying my football more than I ever have.

"Hook knows what he can do and he is going to bring that bit of mongrel to the team. As long as he wants to jump in with the culture I am all for it."

Merrin said: “I actually loved playing against Josh, to be honest. I’ve always enjoyed our battles over the years, but it would be a lot better with him in the team. I know what sort of player we are getting and I am excited for it."

Meanwhile, Burns said he had agreed to a swap deal involving prop Eddie Blacker moving to Penrith from St George Illawarra for the opportunity to play alongside experienced stars like Hunt, Norman, McCullough and McGuire.

remote.axd

Defy impossible: The leap

Defy impossible: The leap

“I reckon big things will come to this club,” Burns said. “I have only been here a week but it is quite a hungry group and it is good to see that there are a few old heads, but they are still zeroed in on succeeding and helping the young boys in the squad.

“I think the oldest player at Penrith was Api [Koroisau], who is 28, so it is a good opportunity for me to learn off them about the way they prep and the way they play.”

NRL Magic Round Brisbane 1-Day Passes are now on sale with eight massive games across round 10 at Suncorp Stadium this May. With the league's best players all heading to Brisbane, you'd hate to miss it! Tickets at NRL.com/Tickets.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/13...rel-after-rep-star-joins-griffins-revolution/

blue bags

First Grade
When we first signed him I, like many, were excited at the prospect of getting what looked to be an exciting new talent in the NRL. He's fast, agile & his undoubtedly best attribute is his ability to play what's in front of him.

Milford was a Griffin signing, Bennett chose to bring Darius to the Broncos (good signing too) so that has forced Milford into the role, is this a good thing? Would Bennett have even considered signing Milford to play 5/8 if he was constructing our roster?

he has been dropped from the team this week

any idea, hook interested in hooking Milford to red n white

Latest posts