What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Maddragon99

Juniors
With Mez retiring immediately, we now have a further spot to fill on the top 30.

Fafita.............anyone!!!
I’m not sure retirements are counted like that I don’t think we automatically get the cap consideration or roster spot back.

The decision in the JdB trial should be know in the next 1-2wks so I don’t see anything happening before then.

Besides do we need Fifita? I would have thought we need a utility to cover McCullough more than another middle forward.

George Dragon

Juniors
I’m not sure retirements are counted like that I don’t think we automatically get the cap consideration or roster spot back.

The decision in the JdB trial should be know in the next 1-2wks so I don’t see anything happening before then.

Besides do we need Fifita? I would have thought we need a utility to cover McCullough more than another middle forward.
Yes we do.
He will not be paid the rest of his contract, so we will have cap space available and a roster spot.
This is not a medical retirement.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
We have 350k to apparently spend on our cap for someone right now.
Very nice gesture from Merrin not taking the golden handshake and wish him all the best in retirement.
Wonder who we bring in?
Most probably another forward to boost the pigs depth.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
In his presser Mez repeatedly referred to opening the door for a young player to come through. I didn't hear any reference to a forward, just a youngster.

Hook is spending time attending lower grade and junior games. I wonder if he's seen or has his eye on someone already.
I wouldn't be surprised to see some shuffling of our current players with maybe a DS player promoted and someone promoted to DS, for example.

possm

Coach
We have 350k to apparently spend on our cap for someone right now.
Very nice gesture from Merrin not taking the golden handshake and wish him all the best in retirement.
Wonder who we bring in?
Most probably another forward to boost the pigs depth.
My tip is that we will have another tilt at Fifita for 2021 only. The figure is very close to be what is left on his contract for 2021 and if it is short say 100k, I'm sure the Sharks will chip in just to get rid of him from their cap.

Fifita is most likely to play in the ESL along side his brother for season 2022, so no implications for our 2022 salary cap. So, if Fifita came on board for the remainder of this season, we could have a great team which could match it with any club this year:

Ramsey - let's see how he goes
Feagai - either brother to get their chance
Bird
Lomax
Ravalawa
Norman
Hunt
McGuire
McCullough
Vaughan
Sims
Kerr
De Belin

Lawrie
Fifita
Fuimaono / Alvaro / Faamausili / Ellis / Burns / Ford
Dufty / Wishart

Unless we plan to buy a top line first grade fullback for 2022, we need to begin to develop our own. In my view, Dufty will make an exceptional utility off the bench, coming on to cause havoc in the last ten minutes of each game, or at a time the coach deems it best, to have the most impact on the game. Also, if Dufty is given dummy training to be a good dummy half, he may even turn into a Cook type impact player from dummy half.

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
My tip is that we will have another tilt at Fifita for 2021 only. The figure is very close to be what is left on his contract for 2021 and if it is short say 100k, I'm sure the Sharks will chip in just to get rid of him from their cap.

Fifita is most likely to play in the ESL along side his brother for season 2022, so no implications for our 2022 salary cap. So, if Fifita came on board for the remainder of this season, we could have a great team which could match it with any club this year:

Bird
Lomax
Ravalawa
Norman
Hunt
McGuire
McCullough
Vaughan
Sims
Fuimaono
De Belin

Lawrie x 1 interchange (stays on once he comes on)
Fifita x 2 interchanges
Kerr / Alvaro / Faamausili / Ellis / Burns / Ford x 2 interchanges
Dufty x 2 interchanges

Unless we plan to buy a top line first grade fullback for 2022, we need to begin to develop our own. In my view, Dufty will make an exceptional utility off the bench, coming on to cause havoc in the last ten minutes of each game, or at a time the coach deems it best, to have the most impact on the game.
Ramsey has had his wobbles at times this year as well. Ravalawa is the one who’s been bulletproof, go figure.

I like the idea of Dufty being used as bench utility he could really make a difference in tight games like the Warriors game.

Either way I doubt Dufty will be our fullback in 2022 he’s been playing first grade since 2017 he’s had more than enough time to correct the errors in his game.

redv13

Bench

Bird
Lomax
Ravalawa
Norman
Hunt
McGuire
McCullough
Vaughan
Sims
Kerr
De Belin

Lawrie
Fifita
Dufty / Wishart

Unless we plan to buy a top line first grade fullback for 2022, we need to begin to develop our own. In my view, Dufty will make an exceptional utility off the bench, coming on to cause havoc in the last ten minutes of each game, or at a time the coach deems it best, to have the most impact on the game. Also, if Dufty is given dummy training to be a good dummy half, he may even turn into a Cook type impact player from dummy half.
Jesus!! I thought we were 4-2 and 6th on the ladder not 0-6 and sitting last. Calm down possm, no need for drastic changes for the sake of it. We’re going well!

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Bird
Lomax
Ravalawa
Norman
Hunt
McGuire
McCullough
Vaughan
Sims
Kerr
De Belin

Lawrie
Fifita
Dufty / Wishart

Interesting thought about dummy half Dufty- I've been focused on him being a 5/8 but this could be another option. Re the full-back situation, another contender has emerged from our juniors. Most have talked up the SG Ball custodian Tyrell Sloan. However, in the DT today, there was a feature article ( don't know the ref) on Treigh Stewart (doesn't look like any relation to Brett or Glenn) the Flegg full-back. He kicked a 40 metre field goal to win his team their last match and coach Willy Talau was glowing in his praise.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Interesting thought about dummy half Dufty- I've been focused on him being a 5/8 but this could be another option. Re the full-back situation, another contender has emerged from our juniors. Most have talked up the SG Ball custodian Tyrell Sloan. However, in the DT today, there was a feature article ( don't know the ref) on Treigh Stewart (doesn't look like any relation to Brett or Glenn) the Flegg full-back. He kicked a 40 metre field goal to win his team their last match and coach Willy Talau was glowing in his praise.
So many talented backs but we need some barnstorming forwards to come through

Maddragon99

Juniors
Need to turn Dufty in Craig Wing

Latest posts