What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

redVinme

Bench
Do everything to keep him': McGregor weighs in on Dragons roster
Christian Nicolussi
September 11, 2020 — 7.30pm
Leave a comment

Re-signing skipper Cameron McInnes should be St George Illawarra's top priority, says former coach Paul McGregor

McGregor will be one of the first people with whom McInnes enjoys a beer once the biosecurity bubble bursts.

4492e8ca403d7b0e836ee3ed13bc42c9514bef55

Cam McInnes and Paul McGregor after McGregor's final game as Dragons coach.Credit:Getty

The captain is off contract at the end of next year and fair game for rivals in a couple of months.

McGregor is no longer involved with the club and has made a point of not commenting on their affairs or the appointment of new coach Anthony Griffin. But he knows there is no way the Dragons can underestimate McInnes' importance to the Red V.

"Cam McInnes might not make the highlights reel every week, but he typifies someone who gives the jumper everything it deserves, and fans should hold the banners up high for him," McGregor told the Herald.

"The Dragons are lucky to have him, and my only hope is they do everything to keep him. If he comes off contract there will be plenty of clubs after him.

Cameron McInnes can negotiate with rival clubs from November. Credit:Getty

"I will continue to follow his career closely. He's a footballer more than a positional player, and he's a leader more than a follower.

"Cam has great integrity, knows his identity, he's very disciplined and inspiring to others the way he plays. There's no quit in him. He's a fearless player. They don't come along in the game often."

b0e9338ceecceda75872e418344f9f48092a4461

The skipper has aimed up all year.Credit:Matt King/Getty Images

"People sometimes think it's a job and play the game because they get paid well. Cam plays the sport he loves and it's a way of life for him."

McInnes will be the one trying his heart out in the middle of WIN Stadium against Canberra just after 3pm on Saturday.

No player was more moved by McGregor's mid-season departure than McInnes. While he had hoped Dean Young would be given the nod to succeed McGregor - but also heard good things about the incoming Griffin - McInnes said McGregor would remain a loyal mate and mentor.

One of the great images of the season will be McInnes embracing McGregor at full-time after the farewell win over Parramatta, which also included the captain handing his playing jersey to the man called 'Mary'.

"I've spoken to him a few times since he's finished up, and he said to me if I ever needed any tips or perspective from the outside looking in, he'd give me that," McInnes said.

"It felt different around the club not having him there. There are times I think it's sad he's not around.

"With the bubble and everything it's been easier to stay focused. Once the season is over I'll have a beer with him.

"Obviously Mary is not my first coach but he brought me to this club, he had faith in me and always had my back, so I'll never forget that. He'll always be someone I trust. Mary challenged me more than anyone else would, and that's why I respect him so much. We'll be life-long mates.

"He's sounded happy on the phone. He's a tough man. I'm sure he'd be hurting about not being the coach any more, but he won't dwell or feel sorry for himself. I admire that."

McInnes said he would be giving his all for Young the final three weeks, starting with the Raiders.

"'Deano' was part of bringing me to the club, and he's done nothing but try and support me and get the best out of me," McInnes said. "He's a St George Illawarra legend and the passion he shows every day, it makes me want to bleed for the jersey like he did."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/do...ghs-in-on-dragons-roster-20200911-p55uqj.html

Barf

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Do everything to keep him': McGregor weighs in on Dragons roster
Christian Nicolussi
September 11, 2020 — 7.30pm
Leave a comment

Re-signing skipper Cameron McInnes should be St George Illawarra's top priority, says former coach Paul McGregor

McGregor will be one of the first people with whom McInnes enjoys a beer once the biosecurity bubble bursts.

4492e8ca403d7b0e836ee3ed13bc42c9514bef55

Cam McInnes and Paul McGregor after McGregor's final game as Dragons coach.Credit:Getty

The captain is off contract at the end of next year and fair game for rivals in a couple of months.

McGregor is no longer involved with the club and has made a point of not commenting on their affairs or the appointment of new coach Anthony Griffin. But he knows there is no way the Dragons can underestimate McInnes' importance to the Red V.

"Cam McInnes might not make the highlights reel every week, but he typifies someone who gives the jumper everything it deserves, and fans should hold the banners up high for him," McGregor told the Herald.

"The Dragons are lucky to have him, and my only hope is they do everything to keep him. If he comes off contract there will be plenty of clubs after him.

Cameron McInnes can negotiate with rival clubs from November. Credit:Getty

"I will continue to follow his career closely. He's a footballer more than a positional player, and he's a leader more than a follower.

"Cam has great integrity, knows his identity, he's very disciplined and inspiring to others the way he plays. There's no quit in him. He's a fearless player. They don't come along in the game often."

b0e9338ceecceda75872e418344f9f48092a4461

The skipper has aimed up all year.Credit:Matt King/Getty Images

"People sometimes think it's a job and play the game because they get paid well. Cam plays the sport he loves and it's a way of life for him."

McInnes will be the one trying his heart out in the middle of WIN Stadium against Canberra just after 3pm on Saturday.

No player was more moved by McGregor's mid-season departure than McInnes. While he had hoped Dean Young would be given the nod to succeed McGregor - but also heard good things about the incoming Griffin - McInnes said McGregor would remain a loyal mate and mentor.

One of the great images of the season will be McInnes embracing McGregor at full-time after the farewell win over Parramatta, which also included the captain handing his playing jersey to the man called 'Mary'.

"I've spoken to him a few times since he's finished up, and he said to me if I ever needed any tips or perspective from the outside looking in, he'd give me that," McInnes said.

"It felt different around the club not having him there. There are times I think it's sad he's not around.

"With the bubble and everything it's been easier to stay focused. Once the season is over I'll have a beer with him.

"Obviously Mary is not my first coach but he brought me to this club, he had faith in me and always had my back, so I'll never forget that. He'll always be someone I trust. Mary challenged me more than anyone else would, and that's why I respect him so much. We'll be life-long mates.

"He's sounded happy on the phone. He's a tough man. I'm sure he'd be hurting about not being the coach any more, but he won't dwell or feel sorry for himself. I admire that."

McInnes said he would be giving his all for Young the final three weeks, starting with the Raiders.

"'Deano' was part of bringing me to the club, and he's done nothing but try and support me and get the best out of me," McInnes said. "He's a St George Illawarra legend and the passion he shows every day, it makes me want to bleed for the jersey like he did."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/do...ghs-in-on-dragons-roster-20200911-p55uqj.html
I agree with everything he says love McInnes, he’s who we need to build around. Hopefully we can put a few young guys around him and can deliver a premiership in 3 years.

SAP58

Juniors
I have watched thev last two St Helens games and gee would love to see Alex Walmsley in the Red V. I remember there was a rumour we were chasing him a couple of years ago but he has recently recommitted to stay in England. Maybe Graham can get in his ear and convince him to have a go at the NRL !

SaintPeter

Juniors
I'm looking forward to the new coach identifying, developing and supporting young talent (actually what a coach does) at/from preferably, our club, e.g. Blacker etc, but other clubs as well, (I'm hearing Penrith have a stack of talented youngsters who cant get a game) and promoting them into first grade.

possm

Coach
I agree with everything he says love McInnes, he’s who we need to build around. Hopefully we can put a few young guys around him and can deliver a premiership in 3 years.
I don't rate McInnes all that highly. I do admit he gets through more than his share of defence however, he is too slow out of dummy half, often takes the wrong option and as a captain, is not a leader who gets the players moving. McInnes gives away too many silly penalties for my liking.

Banjo2014

Juniors
I don't rate McInnes all that highly. I do admit he gets through more than his share of defence however, he is too slow out of dummy half, often takes the wrong option and as a captain, is not a leader who gets the players moving. McInnes gives away too many silly penalties for my liking.
I wish Cameron had a kicking game - when he plays dummy half we just miss that yardage from a good down field kick

SAP58

Juniors
It will be interesting to see what Hook does with Blacker, monster frame, mobile but has not been developed by the coaches in the past. May be worth investing a lot of time developing him rather than signing someone like Tamou.

Banjo2014

Juniors
Zero Tackle reporting the High Performance guys are gone as well.

CLEANING HOUSE/SHED

Goodonya Griffo

By the way - can you take a look at Royce Hunt at the Sharkies

mickeylane

Bench
I really think Griffin is on a mission to prove many wrong - I see a focused and “won’t take any passengers” kind of coach. I know it’s early but I think top 8 next year will be a very achievable target for us. Plus in regards to recruitment I think he will ONLY recruit players he has worked w in the past - that’s my opinion. The only conundrum will be if he risks his first year on Corey Norman and if he doesn’t does he try to guarantee success in the halves for the first year by bringing Maloney in for one year .. I think he will ...anything to allow Ben Hunt to play his natural running game and let Maloney one of the best game managers control the team .. it could look like this next year and I do think Dufty will be replaced by Ramsay at FB.

1. Ramsay
2. GARRICK
3. Lomax
4. Williame
5. Pereira or Rava
6. MALONEY
7. Hunt
8. OFANHENGAUE
9. Mciness
10. Vaughan
11. T.Sims
12. SIGNING
13. JDB

14. Kerr
15. Host/Ford
16. Blacker
17. Sims

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I really think Griffin is in a mission to prove many wrong - I see a focused and “won’t take any passengers” kind of coach. I know it’s early but I think top 8 next year will be a very achievable target for us. Plus in regards to recruitment I think he will ONLY recruit players he has worked w in the past - that’s my opinion. The only conundrum will be if he risks his first year on Corey Norman and if he doesn’t does he try to guarantee success in the halves for the first year by bringing Maloney in for one year .. I think he will ...anything to allow Ben Hunt to play his natural running game and let Maloney one of the best game managers control the team .. it could look like this next year and I do think Dufty will be replaced by Ramsay at FB.

1. Ramsay
2. GARRICK
3. Lomax
4. Williame
5. Pereira or Rava
6. MALONEY
7. Hunt
8. OFANHENGAUE
9. Mciness
10. Vaughan
11. T.Sims
12. SIGNING
13. JDB

14. Kerr
15. Host/Ford
16. Blacker
17. Sims
At the very least I’d be playing Norman in CC to start the year if it is running by then. He needs to prove he can dominate reserves before he’s considered for fg imo.

SAP58

Juniors
At the very least I’d be playing Norman in CC to start the year if it is running by then. He needs to prove he can dominate reserves before he’s considered for fg imo.
Norman needs to play exceptionally well over the next few weeks otherwise I agree Hook ios not going to pick him just because he is on $850, if he doesnt perform for the remaining games he will need to introduce himself to the CC coach if we have a CC next year.

mickeylane

Bench
Can’t afford to keep an $850k a year player in CC it’s either starting 13 or the highway and I think Griffin is under too much pressure to leave Norman at 5/8.. it’s a gamble.. I think they need to offload somewhere pay at least $350k of his contract and bring in Maloney for $400k .. Maloney has his defensive problems but he’s just what we need around the ruck
Cocky
Game manager
Gets backline going

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Can’t afford to keep an $850k a year player in CC it’s either starting 13 or the highway and I think Griffin is under too much pressure to leave Norman at 5/8.. it’s a gamble.. I think they need to offload somewhere pay at least $350k of his contract and bring in Maloney for $400k .. Maloney has his defensive problems but he’s just what we need around the ruck
Cocky
Game manager
Gets backline going
Of course but no one wants him, and we also can’t afford to pay half or more of his salary and not even have him as a backup player. If Hook can move him on congrats that’s the preferred option but I think we need to resign ourselves to carrying him for a year. Imo opinion our best hope of moving him on early is if one of the teams had a serious injury in the halves and may have no option. Maloney won’t come back from France for 400k either one would imagine. I reckon he he’d need a good 600k to convince him to make the move to Wollongong.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Norman needs to play exceptionally well over the next few weeks otherwise I agree Hook ios not going to pick him just because he is on $850, if he doesnt perform for the remaining games he will need to introduce himself to the CC coach if we have a CC next year.
Exactly, who cares about the price. It doesn’t look like we could even offload him for any price at this rate. Just carry him for a year as a backup and then go into the market in 2022 for a top line half. I’d pay all his salary for Burton no problem.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Norman isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Yet to be seen if Hook can get the best (if there is any) out of him next year. Will he play CC, well thats a question only for Hook. He may be 'dropped' to sharpen him up, as did Bennet with Hunt.

I thinl a few current players are going to be very nervous from now, wirh all the 'letting go' of staff/coaches etc, and a few playing now for contracts. No doubt Hook, if no broadcast committments, will already be watching intently.

Mjab

Juniors
After the Raiders even more clear we need some good signings out of a pretty bare cupboard

are saints waiting until Nov for the court case to get off there arses