What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Have only now read the link for the possibility of Jack Bird signing with the Dragons - whom is currently on a reported $975,000 a year at the Broncs .

Brisbane are prepared to pay $300,000 of that amount ( and are still negotiating ) , but by all that is holy we cannot sign this bloke for $675k or for that matter anything over $450k .

IMHO with his litany of injuries it would be an extremely bad risk , in fact whatever the final figure agreed upon I would be signing him on a 1 year deal with an option for a second in the Joint Ventures favor .

I agree Gareth, Broncos would need to pay atleast $500,000 to even get me interested however $600k should be more like it with us taking the $375k. Strick clauses on the second year contract.
This has Kyle Stanley 2.0 written all over it or even worse, Jason Alchin.

Gareth67

First Grade
I agree Gareth, Broncos would need to pay atleast $500,000 to even get me interested however $600k should be more like it with us taking the $375k. Strick clauses on the second year contract.
This has Kyle Stanley 2.0 written all over it or even worse, Jason Alchin.

It certainly does E.H.Dragon , it sticks out like dogs bolls and what concerns me is that with those injuries that he has sustained over the years plus his arthritis it’s a double whammy.

I just cannot see him being 100% fit when does play - sincerely hope that I am wrong however we will need to wait and see . And yes your figure of $375k is what one would expect to pay for damaged goods .

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
It certainly does E.H.Dragon , it sticks out like dogs bolls and what concerns me is that with those injuries that he has sustained over the years plus his arthritis it’s a double whammy.

I just cannot see him being 100% fit when does play - sincerely hope that I am wrong however we will need to wait and see . And yes your figure of $375k is what one would expect to pay for damaged goods .

So far;

Poasa Faamausili a young booming prop.

Jack Bird will play lock or if JdB comes back he’ll play left centre.

Joe Ofahengaue Will become official in the next week or so & he’ll place right side back row.

And that will be it

possm

Coach
Have only now read the link for the possibility of Jack Bird signing with the Dragons - whom is currently on a reported $975,000 a year at the Broncs .

Brisbane are prepared to pay $300,000 of that amount ( and are still negotiating ) , but by all that is holy we cannot sign this bloke for $675k or for that matter anything over $450k .

IMHO with his litany of injuries it would be an extremely bad risk , in fact whatever the final figure agreed upon I would be signing him on a 1 year deal with an option for a second in the Joint Ventures favor .
What I am saying is that we are stuck with Norman on 850k for one year. His contract is preventing us signing a marquee player. If we can't swap Norman for Bird or if Bird insists on a two year deal, then the deal should be off.

Even with Bird's injury history, there is still an upside when comparing Bird to Norman. So if both contracts are cancelled, and we take Bird for the same dollars that we have Norman on, then we can't really lose. And this is the only condition that should be in play. Griffin is in charge and I'd trust him to be able to sort this one out.

BLM01

First Grade
What I am saying is that we are stuck with Norman on 850k for one year. His contract is preventing us signing a marquee player. If we can't swap Norman for Bird or if Bird insists on a two year deal, then the deal should be off.

Even with Bird's injury history, there is still an upside when comparing Bird to Norman. So if both contracts are cancelled, and we take Bird for the same dollars that we have Norman on, then we can't really lose. And this is the only condition that should be in play. Griffin is in charge and I'd trust him to be able to sort this one out.
Your theory is great but forgets one thing assuming another club wants Norman
if they don’t using him as a Bargaining chip....you know who’s gonna come out second .....us

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Meanwhile, the Bulldogs and Barrett are making most of the quality signings and leaving us in their wake. Am I the only one who is not resigned to JAC only having to choose between the Dogs, Tigers (and improbably) Souths while we wave him thru?

Melbourne apparently want a winger in return but have offered a home to a number of islander and PNG backs in the past. Why not offer Ravalawa and some cash and see if we can land a genuine match winner (and competition for Dufty) for once. You never know- wIth all the off field dramas at Belmore, we may get lucky!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I'm not up to speed with this but someone will know the answer, in that the top 25 are considered the top $$ earners ie: where most of the cap is spent, the players 26-30 have restricted $$$ (150k?). In this bracket there would be; Blacker, Sullivan, the Feagais and possibly Ramsey or Saab (1 to move to the top 25)

Our top 25 would then be:
Backs (9) - Clune, Hunt, Williame, Ramsey or Saab, Norman, JP, Dufty, Rava, Lomax
Forwards (11) - Brittain, Lawrie, McInnes, JDB, Ford, Kerr, Sims K, Sims T, Vaughan, Merrin, Fuimaono

Total squad = 25/30
Signings required = 5
Confirmed signings = 0
Strongly rumoured = 3 (PF, Joe O, Bird)

Do we sign these 3 and then move 2 from the 25-30 players to make up the top 25, then promote from within to fill the squad (eg: Schiller)?

Still a lot of water to pass under the bridge before our squad is settled.
It alao wouldn't surprise if a few players were used as pawns in securing other deals ie: swap (not Norman or Hunt but from the forwards).

Dragon David

First Grade
Meanwhile, the Bulldogs and Barrett are making most of the quality signings and leaving us in their wake. Am I the only one who is not resigned to JAC only having to choose between the Dogs, Tigers (and improbably) Souths while we wave him thru?

Melbourne apparently want a winger in return but have offered a home to a number of islander and PNG backs in the past. Why not offer Ravalawa and some cash and see if we can land a genuine match winner (and competition for Dufty) for once. You never know- wIth all the off field dramas at Belmore, we may get lucky!
Barrett in my opinion has developed into a great assistant coach. I am unsure how he will go as a head coach at the Bulldogs, but I am sure that the second time around will be better than the first when he coached Manly. He no doubt has been looking at all the pros and cons of the Bulldogs squad and made some impressive signings so far. The Bulldogs will jump up the ladder next year is my prediction.

I am also sure that Griffin and Co. have done a good examination of our squad and have identified weaknesses and strengths. Developing and blooding the younger brigade in our catchment areas will be one of their tasks and I am sure we have quite a dearth of good players in those areas who will become great one day. Just now need to get a couple of bigger, tough forwards to compliment our squad and what I want to say, please - NO REJECTS.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Barrett in my opinion has developed into a great assistant coach. I am unsure how he will go as a head coach at the Bulldogs, but I am sure that the second time around will be better than the first when he coached Manly. He no doubt has been looking at all the pros and cons of the Bulldogs squad and made some impressive signings so far. The Bulldogs will jump up the ladder next year is my prediction.

I am also sure that Griffin and Co. have done a good examination of our squad and have identified weaknesses and strengths. Developing and blooding the younger brigade in our catchment areas will be one of their tasks and I am sure we have quite a dearth of good players in those areas who will become great one day. Just now need to get a couple of bigger, tough forwards to compliment our squad and what I want to say, please - NO REJECTS.

Is Kaide Ellis still in the mix? I haven’t heard anything about him

Simon

Juniors
I'm not up to speed with this but someone will know the answer, in that the top 25 are considered the top $$ earners ie: where most of the cap is spent, the players 26-30 have restricted $$$ (150k?). In this bracket there would be; Blacker, Sullivan, the Feagais and possibly Ramsey or Saab (1 to move to the top 25)

Backs (9) - Clune, Hunt, Williame, Ramsey or Saab, Norman, JP, Dufty, Rava, Lomax
Forwards (11) - Brittain, Lawrie, McInnes, JDB, Ford, Kerr, Sims K, Sims T, Vaughan, Merrin, Fuimaono

Total squad = 25/30
Signings required = 5
Confirmed signings = 0

Do we sign these 3 and then move 2 from the 25-30 players to make up the top 25, then promote from within to fill the squad (eg: Schiller)?

It alao wouldn't surprise if a few players were used as pawns in securing other deals ie: swap (not Norman or Hunt but from the forwards).

I think you'll find we only need 27 come the start of pre season and movements can happen right up to June 30 next year, so player placements aren't locked and I think there are ranges that allow for some flexibility.

I read somewhere that Saab has unliked the Dragons on Instagram and liked the Sea Eagles, so I reckon that's an indication that he's gone - just the official announcement to come. It wouldn't surprise me if there is some more movements out of our squad - with a new coach there's usually some difference in opinion.

With Saab gone and the 3 potentials (Joe O, Bird, PF) that gives us 27 if JDB gets off his charge. I'd say we'd hold there until post the JDB trial. Pending the outcome we could be in the market for completely different players.

possm

Coach

Total squad = 25/30
Signings required = 5
Confirmed signings = 0

No we should be trying to cut those who are reserve graders/pretenders out of our top 25.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I think you'll find we only need 27 come the start of pre season and movements can happen right up to June 30 next year, so player placements aren't locked and I think there are ranges that allow for some flexibility.

I read somewhere that Saab has unliked the Dragons on Instagram and liked the Sea Eagles, so I reckon that's an indication that he's gone - just the official announcement to come. It wouldn't surprise me if there is some more movements out of our squad - with a new coach there's usually some difference in opinion.

With Saab gone and the 3 potentials (Joe O, Bird, PF) that gives us 27 if JDB gets off his charge. I'd say we'd hold there until post the JDB trial. Pending the outcome we could be in the market for completely different players.

We’re meant to be getting Rueben Garrick (23) back in the Saab trade. Assuming we do end up with Jack Bird (25) we’ll have a great mix of youth & experience. Hunt & Norman will be the only players over 30 Jordan Pereira next oldest 27. Even Mikaele Ravalawa is only 22 No need to recruit any backs for years to come & will give the boys plenty of time for combinations to gel.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
We’re meant to be getting Rueben Garrick (23) back in the Saab trade. Assuming we do end up with Jack Bird (25) we’ll have a great mix of youth & experience. Hunt & Norman will be the only players over 30 Jordan Pereira next oldest 27. Even Mikaele Ravalawa is only 22 No need to recruit any backs for years to come & will give the boys plenty of time for combinations to gel.

I believe this is off the table now, but who knows.

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors

If that’s true he’s the biggest sook out there, spineless in fact. Timid and uninterested, showed very little when given the opportunity. Norman’s a classic example of talent wasted by a piss poor attitude, and Saab for mine falls into this category of player

Latest posts