What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Maddragon99

Juniors
I didn’t realise we have so many players coming off contract next year. It’ll be a busy year for Millward & Co getting all the deals done.

DRAGONS

2021 squad: Daniel Alvaro (2022), Jack Bird (2022), Billy Burns (2022), Billy Brittain (2021), Adam Clune (2022), Jack de Belin* (2021, stood down), Matt Dufty (2021), Kaide Ellis (2021), Poasa Faamausili (2022), Max Feagai (2022), Matthew Feagai (2022), Jackson Ford (2022), Tyrell Fuimaono (2021), Ben Hunt (2022, PO 23), Josh Kerr (2023), Blake Lawrie (2022), Zac Lomax (2025), Andrew McCullough (2023), Cameron McInnes (2021), Trent Merrin (2021), Corey Norman (2021), Jordan Pereira (2021), Cody Ramsey (2024), Mikaele Ravalawa (2023), Tariq Sims (2022), Jayden Sullivan (2022), Paul Vaughan (2021, PO 22), Brayden Wiliame (2021), Josh McGuire (2022)

2021 gains: Poasa Faamausili (Roosters), Jack Bird (Broncos), Daniel Alvaro (Eels), Kaide Ellis (Panthers), Andrew McCullough (Broncos), Billy Burns (Dragons), Josh McGuire (Cowboys)

2021 losses: Jacob Host (Rabbitohs) Tyson Frizell (Knights), Euan Aitken (Warriors), Korbin Sims (Super League), Tristan Sailor, Joe Lovodua (all unsigned), Jason Saab (Manly), Eddie Blacker (Panthers)

2022 gains: Francis Molo (2024, Cowboys)

2022 losses: Cameron McInnes (Sharks)

Coach: Anthony Griffin (2022)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...56659b37f17211e1f82e3ff453?recommendedCount=0

BLM01

First Grade
Pretty hard to do when they have 700-800k waiting in the side for JDB case to be resolved. No team has this problem or has ever had to face this problem. I am sure they will be in the market once it is over. If JDB is cleared they will not so much targeting a higher profile player as they have Jack back, if he is guilty then they definitely will go for a higher profile forward. Like for like replacement.

Worst case scenario is 3rd trial and another long delay. Not sure what they will do then in the market.
Parra and Jennings until about a week or 2 ago
We will know in 2 ?

denis preston

First Grade
Pretty hard to do when they have 700-800k waiting in the side for JDB case to be resolved. No team has this problem or has ever had to face this problem. I am sure they will be in the market once it is over. If JDB is cleared they will not so much targeting a higher profile player as they have Jack back, if he is guilty then they definitely will go for a higher profile forward. Like for like replacement.

Worst case scenario is 3rd trial and another long delay. Not sure what they will do then in the market.
May be a blessing for us , we get a player who guarantees a high performance effort and has played the past two years.

Dragon David

First Grade
We can clearly see that the top 5 teams have the "marquee" players and so are very hard to beat. The other 11 teams have several great/good players but not as many in their team to consistently win games and in saying this how can they bring in another Queensland team in 2023 when there just are not too many that would give them 30 worthwhile players. I am at a loss and good signings by us are crucial before 2023.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
What happened with that supposed rule where local juniors are discounted in the salary cap? That is a rule that would ensure clubs put in to grassroots and would help teams like us immensely.

possm

Coach
We can clearly see that the top 5 teams have the "marquee" players and so are very hard to beat. The other 11 teams have several great/good players but not as many in their team to consistently win games and in saying this how can they bring in another Queensland team in 2023 when there just are not too many that would give them 30 worthwhile players. I am at a loss and good signings by us are crucial before 2023.
The wider Brisbane area has a stronger junior league than our Illawarra region. There are many young players who want to stay close to family, friends and the Queensland way of life. This region can stand to take in not just one extra team but I'd say 3.

Rughby League would be better for the expansion of the game mainly because so many promising young juniors would not be lost to other codes. It is plain to me that if the game wants to progress into the future, there needs to be less teams in Sydney and more teams in Brisbane. I also believe there should be at least one team in each of Australia's capital cities.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
I’m actually not a fan I think he’s a bit over rated. Moose is playing very well at 13 right now, if we get de Belin back I’d like him to play 11 & put Kerr back to the prop rotation. That gives us a lot of depth plus Molo arriving next year. Luke Capewell would be a better signing.
I'll throw in something stupid how about rava as an edge backrower next year fast big and likes to tackle.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
Marvellous how some are now locking onto Fuimaono and even suggesting an upgrade and a 3 year contract.

At his very best he is a bench / depth player and will not make the difference required to get us to top 4.

Giving him 3 years is ensuring we again start blocking pathways for our juniors.

People getting all excited about some stout defence and the odd big hit but forgetting that at times he drops off tackles and can be beaten by players with reasonable footwork and tbh has he really made a big statement in attack yes a few things here and there but IMO a poor man’s Joel Thompson.

In the years ahead if he can easily walk into our 1st grade team then we have some real issues.
Sorry disagree covers multiple positions and with an ageing front row and the pace of the game could end in the front row for us in maybe two years he and Kerr should change positions i think would be better for the team.

j0nesy

Bench
We currently have 28 players (inc DeBelin) of our 30.
We have 4 in the DS: SSE, Sloan, Amone & H. Lomax

Off-contract: Brittain, Dufty, Ellis, Fuimaono, Norman, Periera, Williame, McInnes & H. Lomax (DS player).

The interesting part now is the list of "potential' youngsters coming through: (please excuse if i missed anyone)

Forwards : Luke Gale, Jayden Hunt, Josh Coric, Bryce Magnone, Connor Muhleisen, Blake Dowel, Shalom O'Ofou, Jackson Sherab, Mat Nicholson, Bailey Antrobus.

Backs : Tyrell Sloan (ds), James Schiller, Alex Lobb, Tyran Wishart, Junior Amone (ds), SSE (ds), Treigh Stewart, Brandon Morkos.

Yes, a lot of these guys are at different stages of their development. Not all will make it of course, however, here's at least 18 youngsters that we can keep an eye on and possibly not create roadblocks for.
For example: signing Brandon Smith how would that impact the career of Wishart or even more Muhleisen? Or do we end up with a Reece Robson type situation?

As far as our off-contract players. There are definitely a few that wont be resigned, imo those would be Brittain & McInnes and I cant see H. Lomax gaining a further DS contract. We do have to be careful. We have an ageing pack and halves pairing, and we have some young forwards learning their trade. We do need some experienced players to ease the burdon on the younger players.
It's well known the situation around both Dufty and Norman.
I would extend Ellis (1yr), JP (1yr) and Fuimaono (2yrs).
Williame is a 50/50 call, it's obviously Hook has/had an opinion of him.

I can't see how it is a simple delete and add.
Coric was outstanding in the final of the junior competition this year. There was a kid playing in the number 16 jersey in the same game. He was playing brilliantly - chopping players down in defence and made a few good runs. Shereb also looks a good player. Not sure if they’re ready for first grade but they have some real potential.

hewi

Bench
The Dragons have launched a bid to lure out of favour Tigers star Moses Mbye to the club mid-season.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported Mbye, who was granted permission by the Tigers to negotiate with rival clubs for 2022, is keen to move on as soon as the right deal becomes available to him.

The 27-year-old is contracted until the end of the 2022 season, but is looking for a new opportunity after standing down form the captaincy and finding himself in and out of the Tigers side in different positions in recent times.

However the Dragons’ deal could be off the table if Mbye can’t join them immediately.

The Tigers are open to letting Mbye leave in 2022, but are unlikely to allow him to join a rival after their success against the Knights following the Origin star’s shift to the halves.

The Dragons approached Mbye earlier this month but wanted to wait until the Jack de Belin trial finished to work out how much money they had in their salary cap.

If it means Norman is not there next year let’s do it

SaintPeter

Juniors
My first thoughts were a big No but if Hook is interested I say yes.
IMO he (Hook) is a good coach, that we should keep for a longer period than he has sighed for.
I know we look poor at the moment but I am sure he can turn us around.
It might take a season two.

redv13

Bench
Nooooooooooooooooooo
Mate we are absolutely screwed at the moment. Our backline is missing Dufty, Lomax, Ravalawa, Matt Feagai, Wiliame. The cupboard is beyond bare. Thrown in Fuimaono and McGuire for 5 weeks each plus Sullivan. That’s a lot of cattle. If it means moving Burns into the back row instead of centre then I can live with it

Mate we are absolutely screwed at the moment. Our backline is missing Dufty, Lomax, Ravalawa, Matt Feagai, Wiliame. The cupboard is beyond bare

The cupboard is so bare I hear the doggie was going to be named in the 21 player squad this week (see Old Mother Hubbard if you don't get the reference).