What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 T20 World Cup discussion thread

Australia have played just four Tests since January 2020
Have I missed a series. Our last Test series was India.. yes. Finished Jan 19, 2020. Sth Africa tour was called off over Covid concerns. So what other Test have we played. Reckon the cricinfo scribe is a touch confused.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Have I missed a series. Our last Test series was India.. yes. Finished Jan 19, 2020. Sth Africa tour was called off over Covid concerns. So what other Test have we played. Reckon the cricinfo scribe is a touch confused.
I think you're confused. It's 2021. The India series of 4 tests finished in January 2021.

JJ

Immortal
Not sure I care about the T20 World Cup, but wonderful to see Australia rolling out a gender and sexuality inclusiveness selection policy

Dead set. I can not see us improving on our former T20 world cups. We just dont seem to be able to grasp the format's concept. Sad actually. More batting sense and less reckless play is needed to turns things around.

Has our WC kit been released yet. Is it this? A request for the West Aussie who designed this. Please design something classier for our ODI kit too.
1631668538498.png

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
Dead set. I can not see us improving on our former T20 world cups. We just dont seem to be able to grasp the format's concept. Sad actually. More batting sense and less reckless play is needed to turns things around.

We had a little purple patch before the South African (sand paper gate) test series

Warner was captain. From memory a tri-series with india and the poms, plus a tour to NZ.
Thought we had the right mix and turned the corner in this format. Warner appeared to be an excellent captain.

Has our WC kit been released yet. Is it this? A request for the West Aussie who designed this. Please design something classier for our ODI kit too.
View attachment 53941

I see no problem, matches the doom and gloom of our T20 side...

TheParraboy

Staff member

Warner locked in to open for Australia at T20 World Cup​

Aaron Finch will be fit despite coming off knee surgery and is confident the team can overcome tricky preparation

Australia limited-overs captain Aaron Finch has confirmed that he and David Warner will open the batting together at the T20 World Cup despite Warner twice being dropped by Sunrisers Hyderabad in the IPL this year.

Warner hasn't played a T20I for Australia since September 2020, missing Australia's last 14 matches across four series due to a combination of injury, rest, and schedule clashes.

He has endured a difficult IPL season across the two halves of the tournament. Warner has scored two half-centuries in eight innings but his strike-rate of 107.73 was cause for him to be dropped as captain by Sunrisers during the first half of the IPL season in India. He didn't tour with Australia to the Caribbean and Bangladesh mid-year in order to rest for the second half of the IPL and the World Cup but scored just 0 and 2 in his first two games on resumption of the IPL in the UAE and was left out of Sunrisers' side again.

But Finch, speaking a day before departing to the UAE for the World Cup, backed Warner to be his opening partner for the tournament.

"Yep, absolutely," Finch said. "He's one of the best players to ever play the game for Australia. I've got no doubt that his preparation, while he would love to be playing for Hyderabad no doubt, I know that he's still training away. He'll be good to go."

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
They are both 34 years old, Waner seems to have lost it and Fatty Finch's knee has given out cuz KFC.

Should be a hoot watching us 2 for f**k all every game

TheParraboy

Staff member
No free to air coverage

Games start at either 9pm or 1am

Two of Australia’s games are at 1am (3 at 9am) plus both semi finals and the final are at 1am

Foxtel and Kayo have exclusive broadcast rights to the 2021 T20 World Cup, making it the first men's World Cup in 11 years to not be on free-to-air television

"This tournament did not exist when we reached our current agreement, therefore it does not form part of the current agreement," a spokesperson for Nine told cricket.com.au in an emailed statement.

The 2021 T20 World Cup has 'existed' since it was announced by the ICC in April 2018 as a replacement for the Champions Trophy 50-over tournament.

simmo1

First Grade
Australia will be lucky to make the semis. Warner and Smith can't get a game in the IPL. Hazlewood has been hot and cold. Maxwell has been in fantastic form, might have to open with him and Marsh.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Australia will be lucky to make the semis. Warner and Smith can't get a game in the IPL. Hazlewood has been hot and cold. Maxwell has been in fantastic form, might have to open with him and Marsh.

If Warner and or Finch cant get going first couple games ,we do need to mix it up

We play before the semi finals
v South Africa
v Group A no1 qualifier (probably SL)
v England
v India
v Group B No2 qualifier (Bangers will be ranked no1, No 2 probably Scotland?)

Finch
Warner
Smith
Maxwell
MMarsh
Inglis (in for Stoinis) - or they drop Warner here, if he cant get going opening
Wade

Thats a pretty good top 7.
4-7 have been in great nick in this format

simmo1

First Grade
If Warner and or Finch cant get going first couple games ,we do need to mix it up

We play before the semi finals
v South Africa
v Group A no1 qualifier (probably SL)
v England
v India
v Group B No2 qualifier (Bangers will be ranked no1, No 2 probably Scotland?)

Finch
Warner
Smith
Maxwell
MMarsh
Inglis (in for Stoinis) - or they drop Warner here, if he cant get going opening
Wade

Thats a pretty good top 7.
4-7 have been in great nick in this format

It would be a good lineup if the top 3 were in form, but they are struggling.

The problem will be if the middle order keeps coming in at 2/100 after 15 overs they won't be able to do much damage. Warners strike rate has been down for a few years now and Smith has never been particularly explosive.

They will be big underdogs against England and West Indies, and probably 50/50 v SA and Sri Lanka.

TheParraboy

Staff member
No free to air coverage

Games start at either 9pm or 1am

Two of Australia’s games are at 1am (3 at 9am) plus both semi finals and the final are at 1am

Foxtel and Kayo have exclusive broadcast rights to the 2021 T20 World Cup, making it the first men's World Cup in 11 years to not be on free-to-air television

"This tournament did not exist when we reached our current agreement, therefore it does not form part of the current agreement," a spokesperson for Nine told cricket.com.au in an emailed statement.

The 2021 T20 World Cup has 'existed' since it was announced by the ICC in April 2018 as a replacement for the Champions Trophy 50-over tournament.

Although there is no free to air coverage

Heard on ABC radio today they will be covering every match

Kick starting with the blockbuster Oman v PNG in Oman
Sunday 17/10 @ 9pm

Latest posts