What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 T20 World Cup discussion thread

TheParraboy

Staff member

Australia have been grouped with England, South Africa and the West Indies along with two yet-to-be-determined qualifiers for this year's T20 World Cup in the Middle East.

The ICC has confirmed the groups for the seventh edition of the men's 20-over tournament, which will once again consist of two stages – the preliminary qualifier round and the Super 12s.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

A couple of surprises: Carey out Inglis in.

Australia T20 World Cup squad

Aaron Finch (c) (Victoria)

Ashton Agar (Western Australia)

Pat Cummins (vc) (New South Wales)

Josh Hazlewood (New South Wales)

Josh Inglis (Western Australia)

Mitchell Marsh (Western Australia)

Glenn Maxwell (Victoria)

Kane Richardson (South Australia)

Steve Smith (New South Wales)

Mitchell Starc (New South Wales)

Marcus Stoinis (Western Australia)

Mitchell Swepson (Queensland)

Matthew Wade (Tasmania)

David Warner (New South Wales)

Adam Zampa (New South Wales)

Eelectrica

Referee
Based an our recent mis-adventures on spin friendly wickets, I'm sure this will work well.
Wadey and Kane Richardson in the team fill me with hope and joy.

No Riley Meredith though. I'm sure Warney will share his thoughts on this. Several times over in fact. So if you miss it the first time, you'll catch it on the inevitable re-runs.

simmo1

First Grade
Inglis is a great pick. Lead the run scorers in the England T20 league opening the batting, and was good for the Scorchers in the middle order.

In last years IPL in the UAE, the pitches weren't as spin friendly as usual. There was a fair bit of pace, and the quicks had most of the success.

Warner
Finch
Smith
Inglis
Maxwell
Marsh
Stoinis/Agar/Swepson
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood

TheParraboy

Staff member
Robust meeting lol via zoom lol

Paine vows players will work with Langer following emergency talks​

Australia's leaders held a call on Wednesday night to discuss tensions between the players and the coach

316022.4.jpg

Australia Test captain Tim Paine has vowed the players will work with embattled coach Justin Langer over the next six months following a "robust" emergency zoom meeting between Cricket Australia's leaders on Wednesday.

CA chairman Earl Eddings and CEO Nick Hockley held a zoom call with Paine, Australia's limited-overs captain Aaron Finch, and vice-captain Pat Cummins on the same day Hockley issued a public statement supporting Langer.

Speaking on his own SEN radio show Paine confirmed he had spoken to Langer personally over the last 48 hours while the coach was in hotel quarantine in Adelaide, following a flurry of media speculation about tensions between the players and the coach.

"There's look no hiding from it, it's been a tough week, certainly for Justin Langer than it has been for anyone else," Paine said. "We've had some really robust conversations amongst our leaders in the last few days and we're really looking forward to the next six months with JL.

"We're looking forward to the World Cup, we're looking forward to the Ashes, it's an exciting period for any cricketer. If anything, I think we're heading into that tournament and series even more galvanised and even more together.

"It was important that myself, Aaron Finch, Pat Cummins, and the leaders of Australian cricket got around him, discussed things that needed to be discussed, and then got around him and supported him and looked to move forward.

"There's no doubt the week has been difficult for him, but as I said the last few days, we've been able to galvanise around him, to have some really robust discussions on where we want to take this cricket team, what we expect of him and what he expects of us. The T20 World Cup and the Ashes are probably two of the biggest things that any Australian cricket and any Australian coach want's to be a part of and we're all on the same page and can't wait to get started on both of those huge projects for us."

Paine admitted that the issues which had bubbled over this week were not new but was at pains to stress the team's decline in form over the past 18 months in both Test and T20 cricket should not be blamed entirely on the coach.

"The stuff that was reported if we're totally honest wasn't anything new, this is stuff that's been dragged up from an Ashes series two or three years ago, Paine said.

"We've had ongoing discussions with JL. JL's had ongoing discussions with me and his players about us always wanting to get better.

"It's just been a bit of shame, I think, in the last week that a lot of the failings around Australian cricket have been pinned on JL. That's certainly not the case. We haven't lived up to our own standards on the field. We haven't won enough games of cricket and that's pretty much put us all under pressure."

"But that's the world we live in. We're playing professional sport. You're judged really harshly when you don't win. We've clearly had a bit of a rough trot with white-ball cricket. The red-ball team hasn't been playing. So there's been a lot of sitting around and a lot of chatting."

Australia have played just four Tests since January 2020, which has left a lot of time for the series loss to India last summer to fester. Paine said his next task was to speak to each player individually and in groups over the phone.

"I think in the next few days, no doubt with what has gone on, we'll be looking to get the group together, whether that's in small groups on a zoom call," Paine said. "It's obviously impossible to get face to face at the moment with half of our team in quarantine in Adelaide and the other half in lockdown in New South Wales.

"What we're doing this week is trying to get everyone on a number of calls. Take them along for the journey with what we have discussed and decided on over the last few days and how we want to take this team forward.

"Obviously, Aaron Finch will have a huge part to play with the white-ball team and the T20 World Cup and I'll have a huge say and role in that with the Test match team. And Pat Cummins obviously is our vice-captain and sits in between."

TheParraboy

Staff member
We really should have gone for a different T20 and ODI coach

Particularly in a wolrd cup year. Let JL look after the test squad, and then piss him off this summer

Just gets weirder

So anyone who appeared on THE TEST doco, received 80k

But JL was shown the most and got 40k?

Id be pissed off too, though very unprofessionl of Mr JL if he took it out on the players in any way shape or form.

How a $40k doco pay gap left Langer fuming and sparked tension in Aussie dressing room​

Justin Langer might have been the star of The Test, but the former Australian opener turned national coach received half of what his players received.

Regardless of their length on camera, from cameos from two-match T20I all-rounder Jack Wildermuth to Steve Smith and David Warner, anyone appearing in the Amazon series received $81,000.

Their deals were negotiated by the Australian Cricket Association, according toThe Sydney Morning Herald.

It has also been revealed that Langer, who on Wednesday afternoon received a backing of sorts by Cricket Australia after coming under fire all year for a myriad of reasons, cut a deal with Amazon Prime worth half that of his players.

f41933a0efc79774fb0b23248b0455af

ccording to the SMH, Langer’s deal, despite being the front man of the series, is worth about $40,000.

That sum, and the revelation of the players’ deal, was reportedly a ‘friction point’ between the coach and playing group.

On Thursday, Langer confirmed the speculation.

“You are absolutely correct in what you heard, and if I look back at that moment in time and with hindsight I should have reacted differently,” Langer told the SMH in a text message.

Langer’s response continued his theme of self-reflection, where he publicly stated he must improve his leadership style.

But it also shed further light on a coach, whose leadership and micro-management style has come into question ever since India beat Australia at the Gabba to win their second consecutive Test series Down Under.

Following the series, The Herald and The Age revealed senior players were growing tiresome of Langer’s methods.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Looks like Stokes is gonna miss the world cup

Ben Stokes is set to be omitted from England's initial 15-man squad for the T20 World Cup in October and November, and may yet miss the tournament entirely, after Chris Silverwood said that the selectors would "leave it late" to decide on his involvement.

Stokes has not featured at any stage of the ongoing Test series against India, after taking an indefinite break from cricket to manage his mental health, and to recover fully from a badly broken finger, sustained during Rajasthan Royals' opening match of the IPL in April.

He made a premature comeback during England's ODI campaign against Pakistan in July, when he led a scratch side to a remarkable 3-0 series win following the isolation of the first-choice squad due to a Covid outbreak in the preceding Sri Lanka series.

Wade in is the biggest surprise
So is Maxwell and Stoinis.. neither have a good record in elite white ball comps. Hell if CA thinks these blokes will win us a T20 WC after the fringe blokes imploded against the Windies and Banglas.. think again. At least Smith.. is back to do what he does best.. saves our necks. We missed him on those two tours.

Robust meeting lol via zoom lol

Paine vows players will work with Langer following emergency talks​

Australia's leaders held a call on Wednesday night to discuss tensions between the players and the coach

316022.4.jpg

Cummis to JL as he looks at Paine. "whose this wuss in the beanie"