What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 WTC FINAL: India v NZ @ Ageas Bowl Southampton Jun 18-22

JJ

Immortal
Williamson, like Kohli did, doing what was required in a difficult pitch

What chance a result here...?

Surely if they can activate a 6th day, another day after that must be a contingency - especially when they decided to play in it frigging England......

To think that the World Cup Final was decided on boundaries.... and the World Test Championship could (will) be a draw due to rain, light issues..... Methinks there needs to be some serious navel-gazing in the ICC to sort their house out...

JJ

Immortal
What chance a result here...?

Surely if they can activate a 6th day, another day after that must be a contingency - especially when they decided to play in it frigging England......

To think that the World Cup Final was decided on boundaries.... and the World Test Championship could (will) be a draw due to rain, light issues..... Methinks there needs to be some serious navel-gazing in the ICC to sort their house out...
Please don't mention the World Cup - we could handle you beating us in a game of cricket for the one before last, but I still struggle with being runner up on a random nonsensical rule that nobody thought would ever be used

Little chance, India need to collapse badly, or we collapse even worse - seems unlikely given how evenly matched the two teams are in most conditions - I think we are better in these conditions, but need time

Please don't mention the World Cup - we could handle you beating us in a game of cricket for the one before last, but I still struggle with being runner up on a random nonsensical rule that nobody thought would ever be used

Little chance, India need to collapse badly, or we collapse even worse - seems unlikely given how evenly matched the two teams are in most conditions - I think we are better in these conditions, but need time

Mate I can appreciate the frustration without going through it as a fan of NZ...

More that both these events - the supposed "Pinnacle" of each format to decide who the best country is.... will be decided in the most ridiculous of circumstances... (should there be no result tonight..). To me - it requires a complete rethink..

NZ could easily have won both formats - champions in both.... but been denied by a ridiculous rule and lack of foresight by the ICC....

Sorry - it's not meant to rub it in, coz I feel for ya...

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Mate I can appreciate the frustration without going through it as a fan of NZ...

More that both these events - the supposed "Pinnacle" of each format to decide who the best country is.... will be decided in the most ridiculous of circumstances... (should there be no result tonight..). To me - it requires a complete rethink..

NZ could easily have won both formats - champions in both.... but been denied by a ridiculous rule and lack of foresight by the ICC....

Sorry - it's not meant to rub it in, coz I feel for ya...
Probably in danger of overzealous moderation here, but.

Whilst the rule in the WCF saw England crowned champions it didn't deny New Zealand a chance to win, England just happened to score more boundaries. Sometimes shit happens. It also occurred due to a fairly miraculous set of circumstances, hindsight is a great thing and much easier than foresight. If England had been beaten by the same method would the angst be the same?

As for this game the first final being played at Lords, the home of cricket was a good idea, of course it was moved to Southampton due to covid. The poor part of the idea was that it was held in late June and not July or August. Unless you play it in the UAE you're never going to guarantee there'll be no rain.

New Zealand haven't been denied a chance to win because of the rain, both teams have. India's pace bowlers are just as capable of exploiting the conditions as the kiwis are. I'll feel for the kiwis when they've been genuinely dudded. Maybe.

JJ

Immortal
Probably in danger of overzealous moderation here, but.

Whilst the rule in the WCF saw England crowned champions it didn't deny New Zealand a chance to win, England just happened to score more boundaries. Sometimes shit happens. It also occurred due to a fairly miraculous set of circumstances, hindsight is a great thing and much easier than foresight. If England had been beaten by the same method would the angst be the same?

As for this game the first final being played at Lords, the home of cricket was a good idea, of course it was moved to Southampton due to covid. The poor part of the idea was that it was held in late June and not July or August. Unless you play it in the UAE you're never going to guarantee there'll be no rain.

New Zealand haven't been denied a chance to win because of the rain, both teams have. India's pace bowlers are just as capable of exploiting the conditions as the kiwis are. I'll feel for the kiwis when they've been genuinely dudded. Maybe.
If we’d have won on that rule, obviously I’d be happy but the same angst would be there, we had our chance to win, some atrocious luck and a stupid rule were against us, the obligatory questionable umpiring decision and I still don’t understand why they sent Guptill out….

but yeah, this game has be ruined by the weather, I firmly believe we have their measure in these types of conditions, but we’re very evenly matched so given a full 5 days all results were possible, we haven’t any complaints this time regardless of what happens now

shiznit

Coach
Tonight will be either one of the greatest nights in NZ cricket history or the biggest anticlimax ever…

I’m thinking the latter…

Meth

Staff member
Tonight will be either one of the greatest nights in NZ cricket history or the biggest anticlimax ever…

I’m thinking the latter…

Yeah, most likely the latter...but that's cricket.

shiznit

Coach
Maaaaan I don’t think I’ve ever seen a NZ bowler start their career like this… dude is something else…

JJ

Immortal
Maaaaan I don’t think I’ve ever seen a NZ bowler start their career like this… dude is something else…
Don’t think there have been many bowlers full stop…. And he’s learning how to bowl… a weapon