What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2022 Crowd Watch

The_Frog

First Grade
Is it surprising that the top 3 teams attendances are usually not sydney clubs or that the sydney clubs with the best attendances are playing in bigger more modern easy to get to stadiums?
The new stadium at Parramatta might be bigger and more modern, but its no easier to get to than the one it replaced.

The_Frog

First Grade
Too hard to travel from Penrith to Homebush for an increased capacity blockbuster? Could even play it on an arvo if necessary...its not that hard
You'd play this down the road at Parramatta while Penrith is being rebuilt. If our home ground is available,we play our home games there, except for the one at Bathurst.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Even with Penrith Park being out of action for a couple of years, this doesn't seem very likely.

Is the new Stadium being built on the current site of Penrith Park or somewhere close by on a new site which has been hinted ? If it is being built on a new site wouldn't it mean the current ground would still be used until the completion of the new one ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
What's wrong with Sydney stadiums?
* I've heard whispers of a new grandstand at Leichhardt
* Penrith is getting a brand new stadium
* Brookvale has a new grandstand and maybe will get more
* Shark Park is getting some refurbishment and potential for more
* Campbelltown & Kogarah are okay and have some relatively new facilities
* New SFS for Souths and Roosters
* Parramatta have the marvellous CommBank
* Canterbury can play half/half at Belmore and Accor (keeps Accor happy)
* If need be, 5 or so random games can be played at Accor to keep them happy, maybe as Friday Night 'blockbusters' e.g. Penrith could host Souths and try and get 30k+

You are right Iamback, but half of these people have probably never left Danbourne or McGowanville
I’m looking at win stadium now from my balcony, it looks like a nice half a stadium lol.

I mean if your going to say something like “* Campbelltown & Kogarah are okay and have some relatively new facilities” then I really don’t think your qualified to be commenting on modern day sports arenas!

The_Frog

First Grade
Is the new Stadium being built on the current site of Penrith Park or somewhere close by on a new site which has been hinted ? If it is being built on a new site wouldn't it mean the current ground would still be used until the completion of the new one ?
I think it's going on the same site, which may be extended into the current showground site.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Showers are forecast to continue till late Friday afternoon in Brisbane. As a result tickets are selling fairly slowly to the Broncos v Titans match, hopefully the weather clears and we will see around 35k.

Sydney with a similar weather forecast.

Iamback

Coach
What's wrong with Sydney stadiums?
* I've heard whispers of a new grandstand at Leichhardt
* Penrith is getting a brand new stadium
* Brookvale has a new grandstand and maybe will get more
* Shark Park is getting some refurbishment and potential for more
* Campbelltown & Kogarah are okay and have some relatively new facilities
* New SFS for Souths and Roosters
* Parramatta have the marvellous CommBank
* Canterbury can play half/half at Belmore and Accor (keeps Accor happy)
* If need be, 5 or so random games can be played at Accor to keep them happy, maybe as Friday Night 'blockbusters' e.g. Penrith could host Souths and try and get 30k+

You are right Iamback, but half of these people have probably never left Danbourne or McGowanville

I'd hate if every team played at the same ground. I like that every venue is different and should stay like that after the re-build

anjado

Juniors
It works in Melbourne because the AFL comp is similar to the 1908 Rugby League set up. Sydney is more sprawling, the comp would be better if every Sydney side had their own 25-30k stadium to play out of they can work on filling those stadiums which would be achievable.

Comparing to the AFL is a waste of time, we should just try and concentrate on getting an average of 20k per game.

SouthsCountry

Juniors
You'd play this down the road at Parramatta while Penrith is being rebuilt. If our home ground is available,we play our home games there, except for the one at Bathurst.
Yes but what I'm saying is we have to keep Accor happy for the big events. AFLol make their MCG teams play one game a year at Marvel to make up the 45 games they have in a contract. If Souths leave, Accor may want a similar quota of games as part of a GF and SOO deal.

yakstorm

First Grade
None of the contracts Accor has with the NRL requires them to play a certain number of Premiership matches at the venue. They only cover things like Origin, Grand Finals, etc and are generally just with Destination NSW versus the venue itself these days.

Bulldogs, Rabbitohs and anyone else who has played at Accor has had a direct deal with the venue and is under no obligation to renew.

This is very different than the AFL's approach to venue contracts. Deals with big venues like Marvel, MCG, SCG, Adelaide Oval, etc are all negotiated by the AFL. The fact the AFL also has equity in Docklands means it's in their best interest to ensure there is a minimum number of games there each week.

In terms of the NRL trying to replicate the AFL's two venue approach in Sydney, beyond the historical attendance culture differences between the two codes, the other major factor that works against the NRL rolling out such an approach is accessibility.

In Sydney, the most accessible venue is Parramatta and then Penrith on a week to week basis. Homebush is fine for major events, but otherwise has zero buses and isn't on a major train line.

Marlins

Juniors
Showers are forecast to continue till late Friday afternoon in Brisbane. As a result tickets are selling fairly slowly to the Broncos v Titans match, hopefully the weather clears and we will see around 35k.

Sydney with a similar weather forecast.
The weather is such a shame. Broncos firing atm, could’ve been a huge crowd

EuroNymous

Juniors
Wk 12

Melbourne v Manly 15k
Penrith v North Queensland 19k
Brisbane v Gold Coast 36k
Auckland v Newcastle 7k
South Sydney v West Tigers 17k
Cronulla v Sydney 11k
Canterbury v St George 17k
Canberra v Parramatta 16k

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
I'd hate if every team played at the same ground. I like that every venue is different and should stay like that after the re-build
Yep it's definitely one thing we have over the AFL. A proper competition with home grounds. Having 9 clubs share 2 stadiums makes the whole competition feel cheap and plastic. And incredibly boring.

With Penrith and Brookvale being rebuilt we are almost where we need to be in Sydney.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Broncos crowd tracking a little below what it was for the bunnies. Shame about the weather, could have been 35k.

28-30k probably.

Suitman

Post Whore
Yep it's definitely one thing we have over the AFL. A proper competition with home grounds. Having 9 clubs share 2 stadiums makes the whole competition feel cheap and plastic. And incredibly boring.

With Penrith and Brookvale being rebuilt we are almost where we need to be in Sydney.

Exactly.

It would be like Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Crystal Palace, West Ham etc.... all sharing Wembley.
f**king stupid.

Iamback

Coach

It is the best outcome for the game

SouthsCountry

Juniors
None of the contracts Accor has with the NRL requires them to play a certain number of Premiership matches at the venue. They only cover things like Origin, Grand Finals, etc and are generally just with Destination NSW versus the venue itself these days.

Bulldogs, Rabbitohs and anyone else who has played at Accor has had a direct deal with the venue and is under no obligation to renew.

This is very different than the AFL's approach to venue contracts. Deals with big venues like Marvel, MCG, SCG, Adelaide Oval, etc are all negotiated by the AFL. The fact the AFL also has equity in Docklands means it's in their best interest to ensure there is a minimum number of games there each week.

In terms of the NRL trying to replicate the AFL's two venue approach in Sydney, beyond the historical attendance culture differences between the two codes, the other major factor that works against the NRL rolling out such an approach is accessibility.

In Sydney, the most accessible venue is Parramatta and then Penrith on a week to week basis. Homebush is fine for major events, but otherwise has zero buses and isn't on a major train line.
Good Friday and Queen's Birthday need to remain there

Latest posts