What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 FW1 EF Sun - Sydney 14-30 South Sydney @ Allianz

Finals Week 1: Sydney v South Sydney

• Sydney Roosters

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

horrie hastings

First Grade
Also, on the rivalry - the atmosphere was without doubt the most volatile I've ever been part of. It was rabid in there. Afterwards though? Outside the stadium, on the light rail, etc - all just good-natured banter. Didn't see anything even close to looking like a fight breaking out.

Yes there was a definite edge to the crowd yesterday, it felt like it could just blow up at anytime but thankfully it didn't where we were sitting. Banter outside the ground was all good natured apart from two very drunk Roosters supporters i saw coming out of the Cricketers Arms hotel at about 7 pm, every second word was F or C

This Year?

Immortal
How the Roosters went on that run to just miss out on top 4 instead of missing the finals was some of the most beautiful footy in 2022.
The progression of Sam Walker whose defence and goal kicking massively improved and Joseph Suaalii who is easy to forget how young he is with his size and confidence have been a sight to behold.
Yesterday's game gave both these kids a view of what a rugby league game can turn into. As a neutral who has a respectful rivalry with both clubs it's easy to get sucked into the theatre and drama in that kind of game. It was impressive of how JWH could make the likes of Lodge look like an angel and only in a derby could you see blokes getting sin binned for pushing another player.
When Tedesco failed his HIA and you see the likes of Hutchison and Naiqama in the backline there was only ever going to be one outcome. I was shocked how gracious Robbo was in defeat and he was absolutely right about his team losing their heads.
Souths get the last boo and the last laugh.

yobbo84

First Grade
I was hugely impressed with Lachlan Ilias yesterday. Sure, he has a bonehead play in him at times, but his physicality for a rookie halfback is ridiculous. Bashed the crap out of Crichton and Butcher yesterday. (Amazing how much better he looks with a centre outside him he can trust in defence). Took some very tough runs.

He doesn't do the flashy plays of a Sam Walker or Ezra Mam but he does all the tough stuff and the little effort plays very well. Keeps a cool head and doesn't get overawed. Kicks well, chases well, engages the line and creates the space for the flashy players.

I think he has a big future.

This Year?

Immortal
I was hugely impressed with Lachlan Ilias yesterday. Sure, he has a bonehead play in him at times, but his physicality for a rookie halfback is ridiculous. Bashed the crap out of Crichton and Butcher yesterday. (Amazing how much better he looks with a centre outside him he can trust in defence). Took some very tough runs.

He doesn't do the flashy plays of a Sam Walker or Ezra Mam but he does all the tough stuff and the little effort plays very well. Keeps a cool head and doesn't get overawed. Kicks well, chases well, engages the line and creates the space for the flashy players.

I think he has a big future.
When these young players get enough time on the field they show how great they can be. He steadied the ship in rough seas. I imagine Demetriou and Hornby would have been proud of him.

Your getting old and your memory isn’t as good as it once was.
To be absolutely honest, I was diagnosed 11 years ago by a clinical psychiatrist with a very rare condition.

A perfectly permanent eidetic memory. Everything that I've experienced, seen, heard, tasted, smelt and felt is indelibly burnt into my brain since the age of three.

Late to this party but that was an amazing game. Had everything and both teams tore each other apart.
To the Easts fans, commiserations. Spoke to plenty to and from game. Plenty of banter. Class acts in defeat. I don’t think I could ever bag a supporter but any of Souths fans who did, you have my apology. Robbo shits me as he was great in defeat too. JWH is a monster in all senses of the word and giving him a gobful when he was 2m from me got a glare but fmd if he’d blinked I’d have turned inside out. A beast.
To Souths - that was a defining performance. Don’t let it go to waste and mount a run. The Souths fans around me yesterday in bay 29, we just had to smile at each other and know a win over Easts is special.
The whole weekend of footy was unbelievable. Whoever wins in 2022 will thoroughly deserve it.

Latest posts