What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Grand Final. Penrith v Parramatta

Pomoz

Bench
The Eels have had nine days to rest, fatigue from the Cowboys game won't be a factor. What may cause them issues is the emotional build up this week. Parramatta's going nuts and the media are feeding the frenzy. The second issue is they probably think they need to start at 100kmh and Arthur will be pulling hard on the "they are out to get us" string trying to amp them up. If they try too hard to bash us like South's did last week, once the initial adrenaline wears off, they might be gassed. It takes a lot of energy to smash people and if the Panthers move the ball in the early stages they can waste a lot of energy trying to dominate. We just need to ride it out like we did against South's. Their forwards are bigger and stronger, but they aren't as fit. Hold them early, then turn the screws.

Kenny to start will be a good plan he was very physical against South's. We don't need Api to cop the early barrage, the game's won over 80 minutes not the first 20. We need to sap their energy like we do every week. I know others want him to start, but I thought it worked well last week. Mitchell really tackled well and when Api came on we were able to up the ante and South's had nothing.

Without a doubt, Brown's job and other Eels players when he isn't on, will be to chase Cleary to reduce his time to kick. I agree with Iamback, kick early so they aren't ready for it. It will just add to their workload and exhaust the forwards. Position the blockers well and let Luai kick every so often so they aren't 100% sure if it will be Cleary. From the halfway mark, Luai's kicks are OK, he can't do big bombs but if he finds the grass Parramatta will be using gas to get up the field.

To tire out their forwards we have to stop Moses having too much time on his kicks. If he is allowed too, he can kick the ball further than any other player besides Burton. His long kicks negate our defensive domination because they get good field position without having to ruck the ball forward. In the first loss this year, we had them pinned relentlessly in their own 30m zone and he just kept producing massive kicks to take away the advantage we created.

We can also help reduce his effectiveness by running plenty of traffic at him too. Kik's must seek him out every chance he gets and run as hard as possible.

The last thing we have to do is stop the offloads. They killed the Cowboys with offloads and Lane looked like Dally Messenger and Churchill rolled into one. Luckily, Martin, Crichton, Kikau and Tago are physically up to the challenge, they just have to do the work and concentrate for the full 80 minutes.

Kilkenny

Coach
Kents job is to speculate and have an opinion on things. Find it ridiculous the amount of people that think he's / FOX is out to get us. Talks us up at nauseum yet he questions/disagrees with the club on one or two things and people are all up in arms.
I certainly agree it is job to give strong opinions and to a certain degree generate controversy otherwise the show would be rather boring.

I don’t believe he has any negative bias against us but in the interests of proper journalistic integrity there are occasions where perhaps he should get the facts correct as opposed to going off without having ‘all’ the facts.

I watched the first half of NRL 360 last night and he and other panelists were of the view Panthers should just publicly release the entire 80 minutes of what Peter Green said during the game. The notion is entirely not going to happen as it would certainly divulge tactics, instructions and our game strategy entirely unrelated to the what was allegedly said to Jed Cartwright.

Munky

Coach
Cleary just needs to kick after a dominant ruck.

Edwards usually takes the tackle before the kick to force a quick play the ball and the line is retreating onside as the ball is passed.

Doesn't matter if they plan to rush Cleary if Klown is willing to blow the whistle if they don't get back ten.

If the kick is a tackle early then so be it.

Last edited:

Sime_11

Juniors
this is like origin - the ref wont call it normally - they let alot go, so I like the idea of mixing kicks up with Luai just to take pressure of cleary.

the 1 thing im worried about is someone going down HIA in a tackle (like Murray in Origin 3) - that will change the game instantly if that was to happen to a Yeo or Api etc.

do you put Spencer on to start the game and take the sting out or bring him off the bench?

Murraymob1

Juniors
We need to shut lane down last game they struggled when we did that.Two ways get 2 in a tackle and a third hovering waiting for the pass it will come.
If the cowboys winger is alert he may have grabbed the lane pass instead of it ending in Sivo hands lane chucked and hoped it hit a player

CCJohnC

Juniors
this is like origin - the ref wont call it normally - they let alot go, so I like the idea of mixing kicks up with Luai just to take pressure of cleary.

the 1 thing im worried about is someone going down HIA in a tackle (like Murray in Origin 3) - that will change the game instantly if that was to happen to a Yeo or Api etc.

do you put Spencer on to start the game and take the sting out or bring him off the bench?
Bring Spencer oo bench.

betcats

Referee
We need to shut lane down last game they struggled when we did that.Two ways get 2 in a tackle and a third hovering waiting for the pass it will come.
If the cowboys winger is alert he may have grabbed the lane pass instead of it ending in Sivo hands lane chucked and hoped it hit a player

Lane won them that game im sure he will be a key focus for our defence, his offloading ability is a hige threat.

Also Bizza did really well on Sivo last game I would be tempted to swap him back to the right.

Kilkenny

Coach
Lane won them that game im sure he will be a key focus for our defence, his offloading ability is a hige threat.

Also Bizza did really well on Sivo last game I would be tempted to swap him back to the right.
The Eels off loading, second phase plays are the key component to there success. Clearly we have to shut there off loads down as much as possible.

In respect of Sivo he is a danger close to the line, give him a chance from 10 metres out then unfortunately he can hurt us in such situations, in other areas of the field he is much less effective. I don’t profess to know whom best to pair him up against I’ll leave that up Ivan I guess.

Matterson is another who has an uncanny ability to offload effectively, quality player. I guess there are 34 quality players competing on sunday night for the ultimate prize.

Iamback

Coach
Spencer and Sorensen are great off the bench, Rather we tire them out early.
Early kicks inside balls etc
Then when Spencer comes on after 30 mins really get on top and stay there

Iamback

Coach
The Eels off loading, second phase plays are the key component to there success. Clearly we have to shut there off loads down as much as possible.

In respect of Sivo he is a danger close to the line, give him a chance from 10 metres out then unfortunately he can hurt us in such situations, in other areas of the field he is much less effective. I don’t profess to know whom best to pair him up against I’ll leave that up Ivan I guess.

Matterson is another who has an uncanny ability to offload effectively, quality player. I guess there are 34 quality players competing on sunday night for the ultimate prize.

Which is why they struggle at Accor, The surface is always slippery and doesn't suit that style. More rain wouldn't hurt either

Munky

Coach

The Eels starting line up has two lower tier quality players in Waqa and Simonsen. The rest are all good to great players (even the tank commander can be excellent at times).

Our starting side is all good to excellent players (I rate Staines as good without being the weapon I though he would be back in 2020).

The benches for both sides are a little lower in quality but to be expected (although Sorro and Leniu are situational guns).

We need to exploit Waqa and Simonsen to win IMO.

Edit: And run Leota and Spencer at Mahoney, they murdered the Souths' hookers in the second half last week.

Fangs

Coach
Cleary just needs to kick after a dominant ruck.

Edwards usually takes the tackle before the kick to force a quick play the ball and the line is retreating onside as the ball is passed.

Doesn't matter if they plan to rush Cleary if Klown is willing to blow the whistle if they don't get back ten.

If the kick is a tackle early then so be it.

That keeps the back 3 honest as well. Opens up space later if we want to go through the hands.

Would love a proper kicker like Burton back in the centres at Penrith.