What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2022 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

Frailty

First Grade
I don’t even care about clashes if both teams are wearing their home kits that show of their true identity. But clashes that involve and away/alt/special jersey really annoy me. There just seems to be a bit of a lack of common sense sometimes. Like you could argue that the cowboys and dogs are both blue so that’s a clash, but a full navy kit vs royal blue and white is not a clash at all.

The problem with teams using white for their away/clash is that a lot of the time it gets used against teams that have white in their home kit, e.g. quite a few teams shorts, the dogs jersey. So a team like the Knights having a white kit with a small amount of red and blue being used against a team like the Roosters or Warriors ends up clashing just as much, if not more.
Which matchup out of these looks better? I’d say both home kits by a mileView attachment 64726

I know they barely clash with anyone, but the Sharks do it really well. The only team they clash with is the Titans, so when they’re the away team they wear black. Whereas when the Titans are the away team their away kit is still light blue and white and still sort of clashes with the Sharks home.

Basically I think teams should wear their home as regularly as possible and design the away/clash with who you’ll actually need it against in mind.

Like the Warriors away is almost pointless. It pretty much has the same ratio of blue to white as their home, so it clashes with teams like the dogs or the roosters just as much as their home would
I don't see the clash between Roosters and Newcastle. One is blue, red, and white. The other is predominantly green with some red and blue.

deanmir

Juniors
I totally agree with the too many blue teams. What I miss is watching traditional jersey clashes , Such as Manly in Maroon and white V Raiders in Lime Green. Lately Raiders are in white or Blue or Manly predominately white.

Nuke

Staff member
But the clash is in the colours, not the patterns. That’s the problem, nrl clubs do use their home colours most of the time and there isn’t enough contrast. bulldogs v cowboys is a common example.
Therein lies the issue. If every club played in their iconic main jersey as much as possible, there would be minimal need for an alternate. The emphasis would then be on the clubs to have an alternate that contrasts and takes their likely-clashing opponants' jerseys into consideration.

It shouldn't be that hard. If Parra use their mostly-gold jersey as their main (no-one else really clashes with gold), and Newcastle go with a mostly-red alternative (yes, they tried it about 18yrs ago but the execution was a bit off), then there's two teams sorted straight away. The other clubs can be sorted fairly easily too, but my lunch break is over so I can't suggest any others right now!

toomuchsoup

Juniors
The problem is, as always, that we have too many blue teams.

Please eliminate 3
There are, but clashes can still be easily avoided.

Knights vs Eels don’t clash as long either team has a good amount of red or yellow in their kit. And both of them won’t clash with the Bulldogs or Warriors if they do.

Cowboys and Storm full navy kits doesn’t clash with any of the mid shade blue teams (Eels, Knights, Dogs, Warriors) and the white shorts on the Roosters provide enough contrast to them.

Cowboys vs Storm and Bulldogs vs Warriors are the only blatant clashes amongst the blue teams that definitely require an away/alternate.

MugaB

Coach

Knights vs Eels don’t clash as long either team has a good amount of red or yellow in their kit. And both of them won’t clash with the Bulldogs or Warriors if they do.

Cowboys and Storm full navy kits doesn’t clash with any of the mid shade blue teams (Eels, Knights, Dogs, Warriors) and the white shorts on the Roosters provide enough contrast to them.

Cowboys vs Storm and Bulldogs vs Warriors are the only blatant clashes amongst the blue teams that definitely require an away/alternate.
Well, in regards to the knights and eels using red and gold being more prominent,
The 4 other clubs mentioned, Cowboys use the silver/gray moreso, Storm use Purple moreso, Warriors use Green morso, leaves the Bulldogs in the royal blue and white

The Great Dane

First Grade
Therein lies the issue. If every club played in their iconic main jersey as much as possible, there would be minimal need for an alternate. The emphasis would then be on the clubs to have an alternate that contrasts and takes their likely-clashing opponants' jerseys into consideration.

It shouldn't be that hard. If Parra use their mostly-gold jersey as their main (no-one else really clashes with gold), and Newcastle go with a mostly-red alternative (yes, they tried it about 18yrs ago but the execution was a bit off), then there's two teams sorted straight away. The other clubs can be sorted fairly easily too, but my lunch break is over so I can't suggest any others right now!
Firstly, how exactly do we define "iconic" in this context? Because it seems to me that that is extremely subjective in this case, and will be highly influenced by personal preference and the individual's age.

Take the Panthers for example; before 91 their "iconic" jersey was a brown and white chevron or stripes, and I can vividly remember some fans from the time complaining about the changes made to the "traditional", "iconic", jersey and colours in exactly the same way that you're complaining about clubs making changes now. The liquorice allsorts jersey, which you would undoubtedly claim to be Penrith's 'iconic main jersey' now, wouldn't exist had those people got their way back then, and Penrith's brand, and merchandise numbers, would be the worse for it.

Secondly, do you seriously believe that the NRL and clubs are really stupid enough to throw away the profits and free publicity that jersey's bring in, simply because a minuscule minority of hardcore fans, whom if we are being honest are soaking in nostalgia more than anything else, are incapable of adapting to change?
Because, frankly, I think you are fighting a losing battle, especially when considering the publicity and growth that other sports (particularly in America and Europe) have been able to push from their merchandise, particularly jerseys, becoming fashionable and/or collectable.

It's Been Done

Juniors
The Broncos will be wearing their Indigenous jersey again on Saturday for Deadly Choices Round

298387492_10159869746204631_3646188276191065797_n.jpg

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

I think the problem we have is that we are constantly talking (and the NRL are obviously guilty of this too) "clash" when we should be talking "contrast".

The examples posted in the last few days are 100% bang on - a lot of the time although clubs have similar colours, they still contrast well due to the tones and combinations of other colours used.

Ideally the NRL would have a coordinator or some kind of panel who looks at each week's jersey choices in advance (including referee allocations), working from a basis that every team wears their main/home jersey unless there's a clash, as others have suggested in this thread.

From there, clubs are mandated to have at least one additional jersey that contrasts well, and isn't just an inverse of their home jersey or using white in place of one colour on their home jersey. That means teams like Canterbury, North Qld and the Warriors, in particular, need a re-think of their alternate/away jerseys.

If we're talking specifically about what happened in Bundaberg on Sunday, I'd say that regardless of what the Bulldogs chose to wear (I'd have preferred home jersey), the Cowboys wearing their all-navy home kit would definitely have avoided such a clash. Failing that, they had a good women in league jersey as well, which was fairly different.

MugaB

Coach
I think the problem we have is that we are constantly talking (and the NRL are obviously guilty of this too) "clash" when we should be talking "contrast".

The examples posted in the last few days are 100% bang on - a lot of the time although clubs have similar colours, they still contrast well due to the tones and combinations of other colours used.

Ideally the NRL would have a coordinator or some kind of panel who looks at each week's jersey choices in advance (including referee allocations), working from a basis that every team wears their main/home jersey unless there's a clash, as others have suggested in this thread.

From there, clubs are mandated to have at least one additional jersey that contrasts well, and isn't just an inverse of their home jersey or using white in place of one colour on their home jersey. That means teams like Canterbury, North Qld and the Warriors, in particular, need a re-think of their alternate/away jerseys.

If we're talking specifically about what happened in Bundaberg on Sunday, I'd say that regardless of what the Bulldogs chose to wear (I'd have preferred home jersey), the Cowboys wearing their all-navy home kit would definitely have avoided such a clash. Failing that, they had a good women in league jersey as well, which was fairly different.
It was a bulldogs home game, yet the bulldogs wore their away kit, they all must have thought the contrast would be better if both teams wore their away kits, again l l these blue teams need to make a jeresy that is predominantly one of their unique colors within their set of colors... cowboys should have a gunmetal grey colored jersey, no one else in the league uses that color, just as storm uses purple, and tigers should use orange, penrith uses pink, roosters should have a red jersey, warriors in a green jersey, the more teams use a unique color within their colors the less clashes will happen as the away team will be able the switch to it when both teams are blue vs blue

Cowboys should have an away jersey like one of these
Screenshot_20220810-231909_Samsung Internet.jpg20220810_232529.jpg20220810_232542.jpg

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can never have too many jerseys lol.
I wish they'd get more innovative with other merch, walking around Peter Wynn stores the other week the merch on sale looks same style as it was 20 years ago! In fact worse as it was mostly splashed in half a dozen sponsors.
Went with intention to buy a load of Storm gear and walked out with a stubby holder as it was all just covered in sponsors that were bigger than the club badge!!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Cool, another one-off jersey

Does wonders for the brand integrity of the NRL...
I've never understood this gripe

Most teams wear a recognisable design most weeks. Even clubs like Manly this season who've worn a plethora of jerseys still generally retain a core identity when having these one-offs.

Maybe a decade or so ago this was a concern but most clubs have moved to a much clearer identity lately, I don't see one-off jerseys as that much of an issue now

flippikat

Bench
It was a bulldogs home game, yet the bulldogs wore their away kit, they all must have thought the contrast would be better if both teams wore their away kits, again l l these blue teams need to make a jeresy that is predominantly one of their unique colors within their set of colors... cowboys should have a gunmetal grey colored jersey, no one else in the league uses that color, just as storm uses purple, and tigers should use orange, penrith uses pink, roosters should have a red jersey, warriors in a green jersey, the more teams use a unique color within their colors the less clashes will happen as the away team will be able the switch to it when both teams are blue vs blue

Cowboys should have an away jersey like one of these
View attachment 64793View attachment 64796View attachment 64797
Actually, you hit on something there - a lot of teams use white away/alternate jerseys, but I think silver or grey would be great to see more of.

For instance, Newcastle could use grey as it fits their Knight theme (suit of armour grey!).. and makes their alternate less Rooster-ish.

Perth Red

Post Whore
J
Actually, you hit on something there - a lot of teams use white away/alternate jerseys, but I think silver or grey would be great to see more of.

For instance, Newcastle could use grey as it fits their Knight theme (suit of armour grey!).. and makes their alternate less Rooster-ish.
Just pick a colour that contrasts starkly with the team that your main kit is clashing with, Its hardly rocket science! If you play in blue and white, here's an idea don't have a white and blue alternate kit!

Latest posts