What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2022 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

Nuke

Staff member
The way it should be. Awesome!
Now for Penrith to be in their heritage or main, and we have a Grand Final where both teams are in their respective best kits.

A rarity these days.

yakstorm

First Grade
It may be a 2015 Broncos situation. Wearing the heritage jersey throughout finals, but then apparently weren't allowed to wear the heritage in the grand final. Can't remember where I read that.
NRL licensing would have made that call (though I'm sure it would have been supported by the manufacturer)

One reason they don't allow heritage/special jerseys for GF is this theory that people want to buy the same jersey the teams are wearing and usually most manufacturers only ever make significant quantities of the home and away kits. (It's an arguable theory and if this week has shown with the Eels bandwagon, they will buy anything with their team logo on it)

Second reason is the GF winners merchandise that they start selling right after fulltime is all designed off the main two kits at the start of the year.

Iamback

Coach
The 'alternate' jersey being the one we're calling their 'heritage' jersey.

That. Is. Awesome.

Penrith in their 'heritage', Parra in their gold.
That, visually, is the best outcome for this Grand Final.

Yep by far our best jersey

Reflector

Juniors
For a split second I thought 'alternate' was their pink jersey...

In good news for Panthers fans, I've seen plenty of the actual alternates on sale in stores.

GAZF

First Grade
Aesthetics aside, allowing a team to wear their alternate jersey in finals, let alone a grand final, is amateurish.

Clubs should think long and hard about what they put forward as their primary and secondary uniforms. Allowing them to switch to alternates in season (my club has been extremely guilty of this of late) gives them an out for picking a shit/unpopular/unsuitable design in the first place.

Not saying that Penrith's alt is ugly, but they should have kept the look that has been associated with their current era of dominance, and not referencing a one-off premiership from 30 years back on a whim to placate the oldies. Their all-black look is perfectly fine, contrasts well with the Eels in gold, and is actually representative of their last 3 years.

And if they were to wear the retro alt in a GF, they should have done it when they played the Rabbitohs in murkfest 2021. Alas, the rampant stupidity continues.

Aesthetics aside, allowing a team to wear their alternate jersey in finals, let alone a grand final, is amateurish.

Clubs should think long and hard about what they put forward as their primary and secondary uniforms. Allowing then to switch to alternates in season (my club has been extremely guilty of this of late) gives them an out for picking a shit/unpopular/unsuitable design in the first place.

Not saying that Penrith's alt is ugly, but they should have kept the look that has been associated with their current era of dominance, and not referencing a one-off premiership from 30 years back on a whim to placate the oldies. Their all-black look is perfectly fine, contrasts well with the Eels in gold, and is actually representative of their last 3 years.

And if they were to wear the retro alt in a GF, they should have done it when they played the Rabbitohs in murkfest 2021. Alas, the rampant stupidity continues.
Amateurish is a bit harsh when you consider teams have worn alternate jerseys in the past at tournament finals such as FIFA WC no less

Iamback

Coach
It's a good decision as I and a heap of fans bought the 2021 premiership jersey. Will be nice to buy a different one this year

This, It will look great next to my 2021 Premiers jersey on the wall. Something different that isn't the horrible pink

GAZF

First Grade
It's a good decision as I and a heap of fans bought the 2021 premiership jersey. Will be nice to buy a different one this year
I have no issue with the aesthetics of this decision, moreso the principle and what stupid decisions other clubs may make in the future. If the design is significant enough for a club to wear it in a grand final (practical issues aside), then wear that one full time.

Nuke

Staff member
Now, our annual lament:

Grand Final badges / patches / jersey embroidery.
I know the answer will be the very disappointing latter of the above options, but I hope beyond all hope it's a special and awesome looking patch over the current Telstra Premiership logo. Or -somehow- a hark back to the days of a sleeve patch (but I know there's no room there anymore).

Nuke

Staff member
Exactly. Clubs do it frequently when a sponsor changes after the jerseys are produced. The patch only has to last 1 game, not half a season or whatever.

Make it a black shield with golden Telstra Premiership logo and in big bold letters underneath have:
GRAND
FINAL
The clubs can then have their embroidered wording beside it stating the date, venue, opposition, ect.

It's inexpensive, simple, but just makes the special occasion LOOK like a special occasion and not just another regular season game.

Latest posts