What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Knights Rep Players

aqua_duck

Coach
I want to say Gagai has been superman as a winger in origin. His defence as a centre at that level just isn't up to scratch, or NRL level really...
he's always been a pretty ordinary defender especially when it comes to contact, now with age his speed and agility are starting to decline as well. He's lucky Talakai didn't get much of an opportunity to repeat the abuse he gave him in round 4

Spot On

Coach
I want to say Gagai has been superman as a winger in origin. His defence as a centre at that level just isn't up to scratch, or NRL level really...
That was a long, long time ago Jono and when the QLD team was unbeatable and always on the front foot.

He has had poor series the past 5 years save the year Bennett had that awful side on paper that somehow beat the Blues.

If he has been superman then what can Brian To’o performances for NSW be described as?

Yosh

Coach
Qld have two super wingers as their centres. Gags and Val are enormous when playing on the wing. Can't believe they don't have any centres.

Still Nutty

Juniors
I didn’t think there was much in it. But these days if the head makes any contact with the shoulder it’s at least a penalty.

Regardless of Cleary’s penalty, the concern is this is happening a bit too frequently to Ponga and there’s concern over his ability to make it through a game now. First things first he has to get his health right and give his body and head a rest - that much is clear.
What...you mean like this?!🙄

1656387193778.png

Yosh

Coach
Actually I have watched a lot of Cowboys games. A lot more fun to watch than the torture that is a Knights game.

He is having an excellent year at centre for sure. However, I think he is an elite winger over being a great centre.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Yes I agree that Ponga should be the subject of some criticism due to his pay packet but he's playing in a woeful team where he doesn't have much support. Our hooker doesn't give the forwards any help with getting them over the advantage line and his slow service in fact makes it harder for them, then we've got a halves combo where one is a decent backup at best (Clune) and the other needs time to get his conditioning back and has only just started playing first grade again after a while (Milford) and then there's Clifford and who knows what's up with him?

The backline isn't great either, an ageing Edrick Lee who's lost his pace, two centres who can't defend and Dom Young who is improving all the time but still pretty raw.

Ultimately Ponga can't make miracles happen on his own, there need to be the right pieces around him too.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
Yes I agree that Ponga should be the subject of some criticism due to his pay packet but he's playing in a woeful team where he doesn't have much support. Our hooker doesn't give the forwards any help with getting them over the advantage line and his slow service in fact makes it harder for them, then we've got a halves combo where one is a decent backup at best (Clune) and the other needs time to get his conditioning back and has only just started playing first grade again after a while (Milford) and then there's Clifford and who knows what's up with him?

The backline isn't great either, an ageing Edrick Lee who's lost his pace, two centres who can't defend and Dom Young who is improving all the time but still pretty raw.

Ultimately Ponga can't make miracles happen on his own, there need to be the right pieces around him too.
that does make for sadly accurate and grim reading. A roster that was certainly looking on the up and only needing a finishing touches during Brown's last year, now appears to have been laid to waste by AOB.

I get the familiar feeling that the prodigious talent of Ponga will meet a slow and miserable end with the sub-standard support we're all too used to seeing these last 2 decades.

He will leave and good luck to him. We are years away from genuinely competing.
I dunno man, have a look at the turn around the Cowboys have had just by getting rid of a few plodders and bringing in some key signings. Most of those signings were scoffed at and experts had them running bottom 4 if not dead last

Not saying Knights will do the same but the squad isnt that far off

aqua_duck

Coach
I dunno man, have a look at the turn around the Cowboys have had just by getting rid of a few plodders and bringing in some key signings. Most of those signings were scoffed at and experts had them running bottom 4 if not dead last

Not saying Knights will do the same but the squad isnt that far off
yep, theres enough talent in the team especially 1-13, just need a coach who isn't clueless and much better recruitment. If Brian Smith had inherited this team in 07 i believe he would've gotten us into the top 4 within 2 years

Old dog

Juniors
This current team along with a couple out injured is a good side and that is with Clune and Milford in the halves.
Still need to sign at least one very good half and possibly 2nd row if Friz leaves.
We have some potential in reserves but that needs developing which I am not sure the current coaching staff are capable of.

Yosh

Coach
I think we are too forward heavy cap wise. We need better cap value from our spine.

yep, theres enough talent in the team especially 1-13, just need a coach who isn't clueless and much better recruitment. If Brian Smith had inherited this team in 07 i believe he would've gotten us into the top 4 within 2 years
We were in the top 4 in 2009 for almost half the season until Smith announced he was leaving..

f**k we played some entertaining footy that year considering the plodders we had