What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Wb1234

Referee
Um broadcasters disagree....which has been a big part of

1) why they pay more for the AFL
2) the NRL every other broadcast deal talks about adding in more breaks
3) it was evident during the 2020 season when the AFL ran shorter quarters and thus shorter matches that average ratings increased (in addition to other facts like a lack of crowds, the time was acknowledged as a factor in ratings rises)
Nah it’s just afl is and has been in a stronger negotiating position.

just look at foxtel. Nrl is literally subsidising their afl rights

who knows nine and stan maybe provide the competitive tension for league to get value for its rights

let’s be honest afl has bragged about its national competition and that isn’t reflected in tv ratings (excluding New Zealand)

plus it’s only been two or three years nrl has dominated afl I total ratings. I suspect because all the streaming viewers weren’t being counted before

Player cuts were already negotiated for the period. The NRL accounts show they could have afforded more, hence the profit. AFL players got a harder case to make when the league made losses.

Are you telling me that the NRL hasnt been desperately trying to get more rights every time it negotiates? lol be real.

Are they really losing it hand over fist though. Or is that just what you hope for.
The NRL didn't make a monumental kluster f**k of theirs , telling porkies about amounts offered.. making up stories about fake bidders
pathetic attempts at creating bidding tension &.... utterly failing
They're at rope over a tree branch stage its been that abysmal

OFC the NRL could afford more & won't jip their players as a result , under vlandys they're now better run then the aflol
while the aflol will have to get out the begging bowl for theirs , thanks for clearing that up 🤣🤣

the aflol is a financial mess atm , no one is polishing that turd .. there isn't enough brasso😎😎

Wb1234

Referee
The NRL didn't make a monumental kluster f**k of theirs , telling porkies about amounts offered.. making up stories about fake bidders
pathetic attempts at creating bidding tension &.... utterly failing
They're at rope over a tree branch stage its been that abysmal

OFC the NRL could afford more & won't jip their players as a result , under vlandys they're now better run then the aflol
while the aflol will have to get out the begging bowl for theirs , thanks for clearing that up 🤣🤣

the aflol is a financial mess atm , no one is polishing that turd .. there isn't enough brasso😎😎
Nrl increased spending to clubs to a record level during covid whilst afl cut money to clubs

nrl announced 43 million dollar profit and afl announces a similar loss

vlandys buys gambaro hotel afl runs up debts it has to pay off

vlanyds = god

this is why gill is leaving he knows he’s can’t compete

colly

Juniors
23&24 afl will get $423mill from ch7/fox
we’ll get $370mill from ch9/fox

thats quite a gap for a sport with a bigger audience!
How many times do you have to told. AFL figures below
Foxtel $240m p/a Key Media QUOTE 'WHERE PAYING LITTLE MORE THAN LAST DEAL' The Australia.
Seven $146 p/a Key Quote 'Of the deal $973m (23,24) 'Seven is paying close to $300m' ie 2* $146 Financial review
Total $386m Foxtel /Seven provable by media quotes- What have you got?

I not it's hard but stick with the facts.

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
Yep your wrong

because the longer game time doesn’t make up for the higher ratings league gets over a season

with 16 nrl teams it looks like both sports have the same number of total hours watched per season
Again you fail at reading comprehension. I'm not saying it whether or not it totally makes up the difference only that it is something that you can't just ignore or you end up with the false assumptions that you and many others end up with on this forum.
Nah it’s just afl is and has been in a stronger negotiating position.
This sort of nonsense tends to border on conspiracy theory level nonsense. Maybe the simpler answer is you and all the other wanna be data analysts are too biased and relying on incomplete data to make huge jumps and leaps of logic.

Wb1234

Referee
Again you fail at reading comprehension. I'm not saying it whether or not it totally makes up the difference only that it is something that you can't just ignore or you end up with the false assumptions that you and many others end up with on this forum.

This sort of nonsense tends to border on conspiracy theory level nonsense. Maybe the simpler answer is you and all the other wanna be data analysts are too biased and relying on incomplete data to make huge jumps and leaps of logic.
Nah the guys on here are pretty good at analysing it

I’ve just read their analysis and found it spot on

if you want to believe the afl spin good for you buddy

Billythekid

First Grade
Nah the guys on here are pretty good at analysing it

I’ve just read their analysis and found it spot on

if you want to believe the afl spin good for you buddy
This post sums up the problem. This discussion around ratings and TV deals is just an extension of the NRL vs AFL war and you like most who post on here are unable to separate that from your analysis. That's why you immediately jump to labelling anyone with a slightly dissenting opinion as an AFL stooge or fooled by AFL spin.

Again i'm not saying that the AFL is better or more popular or whatever you want to spin it as, i'm simply saying there is a huge hole in your analysis when you just straight up ignore a huge and important piece of data.

Iamback

Coach
This post sums up the problem. This discussion around ratings and TV deals is just an extension of the NRL vs AFL war and you like most who post on here are unable to separate that from your analysis. That's why you immediately jump to labelling anyone with a slightly dissenting opinion as an AFL stooge or fooled by AFL spin.

Again i'm not saying that the AFL is better or more popular or whatever you want to spin it as, i'm simply saying there is a huge hole in your analysis when you just straight up ignore a huge and important piece of data.

They have data to tell that the networks have, At the end of the year you will see total minutes watched and NRL is on top.

It is F1 but here is an article using the data

As for the AFL total hours, They have games that overlap it hurts the total viewers because depending on how the game is going people tune out and go and watch the other one.

You can watch all 8 NRL games live, You can't watch all AFL games live

Perth Red

Post Whore
well lets add both codes NZ money
33 mill for us
&

umm

do they still pay NZ broadcasters to telecast their crap ? 🤣🤣🤣🤣
sorry I thought we were comparing apples. Sure if you want to throw in some oranges then lets add NZ. Yay we get more in NZ.
Now lets get back to working out why for the next 2 years AFL will get $53mill a year more from the respective AUSTRALIAN Tv partners.

Wb1234

Referee

If discussing how nrl trumps afl on tv bothers you so much maybe don’t talk about it

nobody is forcing you to post here

I love reading about how well the nrl does

Perth Red

Post Whore
Key Media QUOTE 'WHERE PAYING LITTLE MORE THAN LAST DEAL' The Australia.
\
Oh yeh forgot about that one, Fox agree to pay AFL more whilst Vlandys accepted $100mill less from them!
Outstanding work by Vlad, for his mates at news ltd that is.

Wb1234

Referee
They have data to tell that the networks have, At the end of the year you will see total minutes watched and NRL is on top.

It is F1 but here is an article using the data

As for the AFL total hours, They have games that overlap it hurts the total viewers because depending on how the game is going people tune out and go and watch the other one.

You can watch all 8 NRL games live, You can't watch all AFL games live
The game changer was the release of kayo numbers

that’s where all the lost fta viewers have gone

when they were hidden when Telstra had the rights it gave a distorted picture

now we can truly see the dominance of league

this year it will be around a gap of 25 million excluding New Zealand

nz could add probably another 15 to 20 million to that gap but let’s ignore that for now

next year there is 12 more games with the dolphins so that’s another 8 million to add to the total

you can see a situation in a few years time where nrl is beating afl by 40 to 50 million total viewers a year

and if they add an end of season international program add on even more

and there isn’t a thing the afl can do to bridge that gap with more teams

this is the new normal

Iamback

Coach
The game changer was the release of kayo numbers

that’s where all the lost fta viewers have gone

when they were hidden when Telstra had the rights it gave a distorted picture

now we can truly see the dominance of league

this year it will be around a gap of 25 million excluding New Zealand

nz could add probably another 15 to 20 million to that gap but let’s ignore that for now

next year there is 12 more games with the dolphins so that’s another 8 million to add to the total

you can see a situation in a few years time where nrl is beating afl by 40 to 50 million total viewers a year

and if they add an end of season international program add on even more

and there isn’t a thing the afl can do to bridge that gap with more teams

this is the new normal

AFL's helps by having games on at the same time. Simply can't match the total hours if there are 2 games going at the same time

Perth Red

Post Whore
The ninth game should make a big difference, cant believe we'll have waited at least 15 years longer than AFL to bring it in. Doh.

Iamback

Coach
The ninth game should make a big difference, cant believe we'll have waited at least 15 years longer than AFL to bring it in. Doh.

AFL have botched expansion, There is no exit plan from those sides being propped up. NRL are expanding when those clubs can stand on their own which is better

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
AFL have botched expansion, There is no exit plan from those sides being propped up. NRL are expanding when those clubs can stand on their own
And how much TV revenue have we missed out on in the delayed process? If its more than it would cost to 'prop' expansion clubs up, and it is, then its not a sound decision is it to have waited so long?
How much extra revenue has AFL generated in those 15 years compared to NRL?
then compare the cost of the two expansion clubs.
The suns and gws clubs cost around $14mill each a year more than the avg grant level. Has there revenue been more than $28mill a year than ours?

In that time
AFL revenue $5.3bill
NRL revenue $4bill

difference $1.3bill
cos of two expansion clubs in same period beyond normal costs if not expansion prop ups $420mill.

They are still nearly $900mill up!

Not to mention AFL hadn't stuffed up its heartland club footprint so it had no other real options to expand to a ninth game other than in new markets.

2022 and we still aren't expanding into new markets, we are just fixing a home market that got stuffed up 25 years ago!