What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Iamback

Coach
That’s a good point about the Warriors. I think the biggest thing to ensure success over there is greater investment in the grassroots and some success on the field for the Warriors

Another thing that could help would be bringing back the under 20’s. That would give more opportunities for young players over there

Warriors beat Souths in SG Ball on the weekend. Good start for the club's rebuild

Iamback

Coach
A attitude seems to have developed in these forums that the only way to develop juniors and invest in grassroots is by placing an NRL team in the area.

How does a Perth team for example get a start in NSW or QLD cups?

late teens are the age group all contact sports are losing players due to other commitments, A pathway to a professional side keeps those guys

Perth Red

Post Whore
How does a Perth team for example get a start in NSW or QLD cups?

late teens are the age group all contact sports are losing players due to other commitments, A pathway to a professional side keeps those guys
Not only that but when your only option is union if you dont want to move to other side of country then of course thats going to be first choice for a lot of the best talented kids.

Theres no money in the second tier, NRL doesnt want to fund 'rusted on AFL states' (been doing some scratching around of the Sg ball Pirates and turns out, from what Ive been told, the NRL funds none of it and and its all private support, mostly Cumins whose paid for it!) so running second tier sides against LC/NRL club backed sides is impossible.

WA has 4 Development officers funded by NRL for 2.7milion people in a state half the size of the country! Ive heard funding to grassroots is much lower than pre covid now, I guess NRL has to find the extra $100mill a year its giving clubs and players this year?

Wb1234

Referee
Lol no he didn’t .
that was a journo spin on words.
mate you used to be a sensible poster but your irrational stand against Perth & posts about RU in NZ make little sense .
Can’t win em all lol

he literally was talking after they increased the sky nz tv deal

despite all the comments on here it seems obvious to me a second nz team will generate at least enough money from sky nz to cover their grant thus leaving the arlc to sell the ninth game to Aussie tv for pure profit

the warriors generate excellent tv ratings in nz. Around half the nrl players are nz and islander. How many of those are in Perth ? Uh two ?

fish where the fish are

you can’t compare nz and Perth. On every measure nz2 win and that’s not even taking into account the benefit of stronger Int league

you know how much money union makes from the bledisloe ? We could be tapping into that

we’ve already got Melbourne Perth isn’t essential

international expansion can grow the game way more than a token Perth club

Here’s where afl expansion has got them

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Can’t win em all lol

despite all the comments on here it seems obvious to me a second nz team will generate at least enough money from sky nz to cover their grant thus leaving the arlc to sell the ninth game to Aussie tv for pure profit

the warriors generate excellent tv ratings in nz. Around half the nrl players are nz and islander. How many of those are in Perth ? Uh two ?

fish where the fish are

you can’t compare nz and Perth. On every measure nz2 win and that’s not even taking into account the benefit of stronger Int league

you know how much money union makes from the bledisloe ? We could be tapping into that

Wow each Sydney club now receives a higher grant than the swans do

Peter vlandys has done an Amazing job

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wow each Sydney club now receives a higher grant than the swans do

Peter vlandys has done an Amazing job
or you could look at it that grassroots funding is now having to be diverted to help failing NRL clubs keep afloat lol and that Swans are so successful they don't need central money diverted to them on the scale NRl clubs do.
Years of mocking AFL grants, you're now applauding NRL going down the same road? Not hypocritical at all!

He's done an amazing job at keeping his job in the face of the tv disaster, by buying off the clubs.

Colk

First Grade
Can’t win em all lol

fish where the fish are

I’m not sure if you cottoned on to the idea of a monopoly and what that all means. Nevertheless I think another NZ side might break even but that would come from Australian broadcasters and the extra game.

Nevertheless I wouldn’t argue for another NZ team on the basis of how much money it would generate. Fair enough if you want to argue it on a player development front though.

Pneuma

First Grade
or you could look at it that grassroots funding is now having to be diverted to help failing NRL clubs keep afloat lol and that Swans are so successful they don't need central money diverted to them on the scale NRl clubs do.
Years of mocking AFL grants, you're now applauding NRL going down the same road? Not hypocritical at all!

He's done an amazing job at keeping his job in the face of the tv disaster, by buying off the clubs.
Always focus on the negative.

Wb1234

Referee
I’m not sure if you cottoned on to the idea of a monopoly and what that all means. Nevertheless I think another NZ side might break even but that would come from Australian broadcasters and the extra game.

Nevertheless I wouldn’t argue for another NZ team on the basis of how much money it would generate. Fair enough if you want to argue it on a player development front though.
Fox paid an extra 20 million pa for the dollphins

it’s called working with your broadcast partners for mutual benefit

the idea that a second nz team isn’t valuable for sky nz is nuts

Iamback

Coach

Realistically who would get regular games at the bigger Stadium 1st Perth or a NZ team?

I'd back Eden Park being used before Optus.

The NRL being on FTA is the unknown over there moving forward

Pneuma

First Grade
Realistically who would get regular games at the bigger Stadium 1st Perth or a NZ team?

I'd back Eden Park being used before Optus.

The NRL being on FTA is the unknown over there moving forward
Compatible and friendly me says I’d be happy with either!

Iamback

Coach
Fox paid an extra 20 million pa for the dollphins

it’s called working with your broadcast partners for mutual benefit

the idea that a second nz team isn’t valuable for sky nz is nuts

FTA Friday night 8pm in NZ. Removes the 6pm Friday night game too, leaving that game into a 6.30 Sunday night game...So of course that is of value to TV here. Sunday night is TV's popular night

Wb1234

Referee
FTA Friday night 8pm in NZ. Removes the 6pm Friday night game too, leaving that game into a 6.30 Sunday night game...So of course that is of value to TV here. Sunday night is TV's popular night
The ninth game will be valuable to Aussie tv whichever spot they want

but nz2 also offer sky nz extra value which for some reason some people are denying will happen bc spark sport went bust

Iamback

Coach

but nz2 also offer sky nz extra value which for some reason some people are denying will happen bc spark sport went bust

I get why Fox wants 6pm Friday and the only way that slot goes away is if Stan buys it all.

More NZ games frees the game of that and more Sunday games potentially

Wb1234

Referee
I get why Fox wants 6pm Friday and the only way that slot goes away is if Stan buys it all.

More NZ games frees the game of that and more Sunday games potentially
Yeh Friday 6 pm pretty much killed channel nines league coverage

I hate the time slot but can’t see fox giving it up

Colk

First Grade

On the first point I agree.

On the second point you’re just denying reality. I have given you the reason (clearly and multiple times) It’s a monopoly. They already have the subscription money. They aren’t going to dole out extra money (unless they are really crap negotiators) because they don’t have to.

Wb1234

Referee
On the first point I agree.

On the second point you’re just denying reality. I have given you the reason (clearly and multiple times) It’s a monopoly. They already have the subscription money. They aren’t going to dole out extra money (unless they are really crap negotiators) because they don’t have to.
So you know nz so well to know that a team based in the south won’t result in more people buying sky nz subscriptions ?