What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Colk

First Grade
So you know nz so well to know that a team based in the south won’t result in more people buying sky nz subscriptions ?

Firstly as I said before in another post there is hardly any sport on FTA in NZ. There just isn’t. I know that partly because of my work.

So if anyone in NZ is interested in sport they already would have subscription TV. A second rugby league team in NZ isn’t going to increase subscriptions

If on the other hand somebody else enters the fray and takes on Sky TV then you have potential to make some money from NZ

In any case based on where the money is, Australian broadcasters just have more say, so I would concentrate on that angle

Now as I have mentioned I like the idea of a second team in NZ but it wouldn’t be a decision based on this idea of cashing in, it would be a player development option.

Wb1234

Referee
Firstly as I said before in another post there is hardly any sport on FTA in NZ. There just isn’t. I know that partly because of my work.

So if anyone in NZ is interested in sport they already would have subscription TV. A second rugby league team in NZ isn’t going to increase subscriptions

If on the other hand somebody else enters the fray and takes on Sky TV then you have potential to make some money from NZ

In any case based on where the money is, Australian broadcasters just have more say, so I would concentrate on that angle

Now as I have mentioned I like the idea of a second team in NZ but it wouldn’t be a decision based on this idea of cashing in, it would be a player development option.
Well if that’s your opinion about no new subscribers that’s fair enough

I strongly disagree

the warriors are very valuable for sky nz

so the safer presumption is another team would also be highly valuable

Colk

First Grade
Realistically who would get regular games at the bigger Stadium 1st Perth or a NZ team?

I'd back Eden Park being used before Optus

The NRL being on FTA is the unknown over there moving forward

I don’t see how that is relevant.

Colk

First Grade
Well if that’s your opinion about no new subscribers that’s fair enough

I strongly disagree

the warriors are very valuable for sky nz

so the safer presumption is another team would also be highly valuable

Fair enough agree to disagree.

I am struggling to see your point of view. If nobody else is biding on it, I don’t see why they are increasing their deal even if they were increasing their subscriptions (which they probably wouldn’t be at least substantially)

Their worth is relative too. It is not as valuable as Rugby Union for instance and they are only offering them $80 million per year. So I am not sure why you think NZ is this big goldmine

Wb1234

Referee
Fair enough agree to disagree.

I am struggling to see your point of view. If nobody else is biding on it, I don’t see why they are increasing their deal even if they were increasing their subscriptions (which they probably wouldn’t be at least substantially)

Their worth is relative too. It is not as valuable as Rugby Union for instance and they are only offering them $80 million per year. So I am not sure why you think NZ is this big goldmine

Plus they gave the nzru five percent equity in sky nz lol

warriors can get ratings which are as good as the all blacks and have many times

and this year will have even more exposure being on fta.

Colk

First Grade
Plus they gave the nzru five percent equity in sky nz lol

warriors can get ratings which are as good as the all blacks and have many times

and this year will have even more exposure being on fta.

I know that makes their deal even worse which kind of underlines how little money there is in terms of TV dollars over there.

I’m with you mate in terms of another Kiwi side. I have concerns about the Warriors still but putting on my optimistic hat it might push them on to greater things. It would also would create a great rivalry.

Nevertheless, it would be a decision based on player talent and for international rugby league. It wouldn’t be a commercial decision.

Wb1234

Referee
I know that makes their deal even worse which kind of underlines how little money there is in terms of TV dollars over there.

I’m with you mate in terms of another Kiwi side. I have concerns about the Warriors still but putting on my optimistic hat it might push them on to greater things. It would also would create a great rivalry.

Nevertheless, it would be a decision based on player talent and for international rugby league. It wouldn’t be a commercial decision.
So if they do get a bump in the tv deal it’s a bonus

Colk

First Grade
When I hear Michael Ennis or Dan Ginnane commentating I immediately switch to 9 if it’s on FTA. Fox isn’t that much better than 9 really.

Put it on mute. I often do anyway. But I get your point - it seems commentators mistake yelling for commentating.

Colk

First Grade
So if they do get a bump in the tv deal it’s a bonus

I think so.

I personally think based on the Kiwi TV situation, economy and the geography of the country (the fact that there are no real big areas outside of Auckland) you wouldn’t decide on going there for monetary reasons.

I would like to see another team there and if they choose it for the next side I’m happy. In any case, I just want the game to decide on something that may be more difficult but has greater upside rather than make a safe decision like sticking another side in Queensland for example

Colk

First Grade
Is the NRL bringing in a new team to ave 15k or get the most from the side? To do that a couple of event games should be the aim

Ok I understand where you are coming from now. You have a point although I don’t think either are going to suddenly become like the Broncos overnight.

I think either decision will require a strong investment and it will also require some sort of tempered expectation - Rugby League is not going to take over either union in NZ or fumbleball in WA but it is the chance to actually grow the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Afl Australian tv deal $550mill
nrl Australian tv deal $365mill

nrl needs more Australian cities! How much of that gap do you honestly think skynz is going to close When there is no competition for the rights in that country? 2013 and 2018 sky nz deals were practically the same. I wonder why?