What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 R16 Fri - Penrith 26-18 Sydney @ BlueBet

Round 16: Penrith v Sydney

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • Sydney Roosters

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Big Pete

Referee
The problem I have with the offside penalties is that they were only called because Penrith dropped the ball. Don't think we did anything different to the previous tackles and penrith's line speed was every bit as quick.

The refs do that every game and it shits me.
100% bail out penalties suck and invite far too much cynical play into the competition. Usually the calls tend to even up in a game but they definitely skewed to the home side.

Not that they needed them. At the moment the Panthers are in a league of their own and it's going to take one team catching fire and some unforseen setbacks for the Panthers to miss out on back to back titles. Maybe next year without Kikau and Koroisau they'll fall to the pack.

On tonight's performance, the Roosters should make the 8. Consistensy has been an issue all year but if they can get JWH and Keary back they'll have too much quality for their opponents especially now that Suaalii is finding his feet. It'll be a decent reward but they'll just be making up the numbers until the Cheese arrives.

Smug Panther

First Grade
100% bail out penalties suck and invite far too much cynical play into the competition. Usually the calls tend to even up in a game but they definitely skewed to the home side.

Not that they needed them. At the moment the Panthers are in a league of their own and it's going to take one team catching fire and some unforseen setbacks for the Panthers to miss out on back to back titles. Maybe next year without Kikau and Koroisau they'll fall to the pack.

On tonight's performance, the Roosters should make the 8. Consistensy has been an issue all year but if they can get JWH and Keary back they'll have too much quality for their opponents especially now that Suaalii is finding his feet. It'll be a decent reward but they'll just be making up the numbers until the Cheese arrives.
Keary has retired is the word yeah?

Big Pete

Referee
Keary has retired is the word yeah?
I've been out of the loop so you'd know more than me.

Looking at it now, it doesn't sound good does it? Out for two more weeks and they'll reassess. Even if he does get back it does have that feeling of a Boyd Cordner & Jake Friend.

Kilkenny

Coach
Roosters got the rough end of the pineapple with the call tonight. Hard done by.

Penrith looked quite flat.
I didn’t think we were flat at the game. I thought we controlled it pretty well for the most part. Given our entire side was basically backing up from the rep games, difficult conditions with the constant rain , a committed Roosters side come from behind win, personally I‘m delighted. We did what good sides do, find a way to win.

Kilkenny

Coach
The penalty before half-time which directly led to a try, was a joke of a decision.
It probably was, I was at the game, didn’t and haven’t seen a replay. Poor defence led to the try. The penalty only gave us possession. Roosters had to defend 1 set, they didn’t and we scored. We left a lot of points out there particularly in the 1st half . Credit to the Roosters they tried really hard, but the better side won.

blaza88z

Coach
It probably was, I was at the game, didn’t and haven’t seen a replay. Poor defence led to the try. The penalty only gave us possession. Roosters had to defend 1 set, they didn’t and we scored. We left a lot of points out there particularly in the 1st half . Credit to the Roosters they tried really hard, but the better side won.

That's always the counter-argument to a horrendous call but at what point do the officials take responsibility?

It was the same in the Titans game, they rule knock on when it went back off Sexton without hitting an opposition player but because there are no challenges remaining the ref gets an easy out "well you shouldn't have wasted your challenge", when do they take responsibility for terrible officiating? They don't, is the answer. Teams should learn to defend errors, not waste challenges, etc.. (these are the cop out lines used to excuse a horrendous call).

The game ended with an 8-3 penalty count, there's no question which team got the free ride tonight.

Kilkenny

Coach
That's always the counter-argument to a horrendous call but at what point do the officials take responsibility?

It was the same in the Titans game, they rule knock on when it went back off Sexton without hitting an opposition player but because there are no challenges remaining the ref gets an easy out "well you shouldn't have wasted your challenge", when do they take responsibility for terrible officiating? They don't, is the answer. Teams should learn to defend errors, not waste challenges, etc.. (these are the cop out lines used to excuse a horrendous call).

The game ended with an 8-3 penalty count, there's no question which team got the free ride tonight.
The game always looks different from the vantage point of your lounge room.

The Roosters played a high risk game plan of pushing the boundaries with there line speed and the penalty count could have been 13-3. You don’t see that from your lounge room, but at the game with the best seats on the half way line western stand you have the advantage of seeing what unfolds.

The ref didn’t decide tonight’s outcome regardless of the penalty count.

blaza88z

Coach

The Roosters played a high risk game plan of pushing the boundaries with there line speed and the penalty count could have been 13-3. You don’t see that from your lounge room, but at the game with the best seats on the half way line western stand you have the advantage of seeing what unfolds.

I don't need a vantage point on the western side, that penalty before half-time will make the top 5 of the worst decisions this season, however Sutton will be there next week, probably refereeing a game between two top 8 sides.

Why? Because the Roosters should learn to defend better, apparently.

I will tell you one thing, if you copped that call and went on to lose by single digits you wouldn't be referencing your teams defensive display as a means to why you lost the game. That's not how Penrith fans operate.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Watching at the game it was a tough win in the wet. With much of the Panthers side backing up from rep games, I could have forgiven them for losing just a 2nd game in 16 considering the Roosters were desperate and playing quite well.

Yet the men in black are dedicated to winning for their club and community and find a way to get it done on a consistent basis. I observed questionable calls against both sides but when it came down to the crunch, NC put Tago over with a beautiful pass and smart work by Api from dummy half iced the win.

Kilkenny

Coach
I don't need a vantage point on the western side, that penalty before half-time will make the top 5 of the worst decisions this season, however Sutton will be there next week, probably refereeing a game between two top 8 sides.

Why? Because the Roosters should learn to defend better, apparently.

I will tell you one thing, if you copped that call and went on to lose by single digits you wouldn't be referencing your teams defensive display as a means to why you lost the game. That's not how Penrith fans operate.
Good sides man up, stand up. One set to defend despite whatever adversity is thrown at you. We’ve lost the penalty count at home on many occasions during at our recent success, despite dominating games, if it was a bad call and by all accounts it was it still doesn’t alter the fact the roosters had one set to defend and they weren’t able to do that.

mave

Coach
So the NRL have had a crackdown on players tackling too high.
We have had players suspended for tackling too hard.

Now we are cracking down on players tackling too low.

Just bring out the tags already.

84 Baby

Referee
So the NRL have had a crackdown on players tackling too high.
We have had players suspended for tackling too hard.

Now we are cracking down on players tackling too low.

Just bring out the tags already.
Oh… you said TAGS!
I was about to cancel you

Valheru

Coach

The panthers line speed was every bit as quick. We just didn't drop the ball on those plays so the ref didn't see a need to blow a penalty.

Black Panther

Juniors

Or which team is more disciplined you mean..

Valheru

Coach

It wasn't just one set though was it? We defended our line for 3 sets prior to that, finally cleared the ball out and the ref just couldn't wait to give the panthers another penalty. That ludicrous penalty was last tackle on the 40m line too.

Add to that the ref saying the following all game when we were attacking "Isaiah Isaiah.. Nathan nathan" meaning they were offside and didn't penalise them once but managed to find 3 penalties for the panthers in a row when they were attacking in the 2nd half purely because they dropped the ball. I'm not one to blame refs but the roosters have every reason to be aggrieved and the ref was as big a reason we loss as the panthers were.