What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 R23 Fri - Brisbane 12-60 Melbourne @ Suncorp

Round 23: Brisbane v Melbourne

• Brisbane Broncos

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Melbourne Storm

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Does that stuff really bother you? The record books state what they state. Still has f**k all to do with the 2022 Melbourne Storm team, though.
I mean as a sports fan in general it does. It would concern me seeing Marion Jones parading around with her 2000 gold medals that were won through cheating. But even she acknowledged her cheating and relinquished the medals, and they aren't on grand display at USA athletics HQ.

There has to be a bit of self awareness here hey. I totally get why the broncos are hated for their part in the super league war, which was much longer ago, but that hate is valid, and I expect it to be spoken about because it is part of this sports history.

Melbourne have brought a huge scam, wrestling and dangerous tackles to the game, so we will talk about it, and that is fine yeah?

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Strictly speaking, I haven’t come full circle. I’m agnostic, not quite yet atheist.

If Olam’s Beliefs are his own business, so he should keep it that way instead of shoving it down other people’s throats by writing Bible verses on elastoplast on his wrist and pointing to them on live TV aired to millions when he scores a try?

I used to be a church going Catholic until I saw the light. Don’t get me wrong; I am totally in favour of religious freedom, but am also conscious of the fact that religion forms a parasitical relationship with many young Rugby League players to the extent that it impacts on their professional lives.
I think "shoving it down people's throats" is a bit dramatic. Are the verses offensive in amyway?

I didn't grow up religious so you're speaking from a position I can't. But I just don't get why it's a big deal that he thanks his god when he scores. If he starts ranting about gays or Jews or whoever in his post match then yea it'd be a problem.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
We shed 14 players in 2010 once we were rightfully found guilty of breaching the cap.

We rightfully were punished and rightfully paid the price.

We went into the 2011 season cap complaint and have won 3 comps since.

None of the players from that era are still with us in a playing capacity.

Honestly. Let it gooooo.
The storm shed a number of players, and one of the core 4 players in the team. They retained 3 of the best players in the game, even though they'd used illegal means to convince them to remain.

The correct punishment (in addition to those the NRL handed down) would have been to tear up every contract for the club and force the club to start from the beginning.

That would be a punishment that sets an example and a standard suitable to send the message to every club that it simply is not worth the risk.

Instead, the club was able to retain their core playing group and remain successful.

I disagree with you. I'll never share your viewpoint that you've explained above. You'll just have to learn to live with that .

Billythekid

First Grade
The storm shed a number of players, and one of the core 4 players in the team. They retained 3 of the best players in the game, even though they'd used illegal means to convince them to remain.

The correct punishment (in addition to those the NRL handed down) would have been to tear up every contract for the club and force the club to start from the beginning.

That would be a punishment that sets an example and a standard suitable to send the message to every club that it simply is not worth the risk.

Instead, the club was able to retain their core playing group and remain successful.

I disagree with you. I'll never share your viewpoint that you've explained above. You'll just have to learn to live with that .
Pretty easy to live with lol.

moffla

Bench

Fair point - We’ll always firmly and abruptly disagree on this manner so there’s little point continuing the dialogue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Oh for sure.

A winger with a decade of experience in being a player on a team rooted in failure will somehow in a couple of months bring back a culture built on years of winning (from a foundation of retaining a team using grossly illegal methods) that will turn it around for us.

If you left a shit business and moved to a winning team would a person either:

A) choose to return to shit business with the same lower quality coworkers and try and turn it around

Or

B) jump ship and have some success
Jealousy is such an ugly emotion

Pantherjim.

Referee
I think "shoving it down people's throats" is a bit dramatic. Are the verses offensive in amyway?

I didn't grow up religious so you're speaking from a position I can't. But I just don't get why it's a big deal that he thanks his god when he scores. If he starts ranting about gays or Jews or whoever in his post match then yea it'd be a problem.

It’s not the verses that are offensive.

However, even as a Church-going Catholic, I can’t remember an occasion where I walked into work with Bible verses taped to my uniform and shared them with my patients who might not necessarily be Christian.

So Why should the National Rugby League be any different?

STORM.99/07

Bench
I mean as a sports fan in general it does. It would concern me seeing Marion Jones parading around with her 2000 gold medals that were won through cheating. But even she acknowledged her cheating and relinquished the medals, and they aren't on grand display at USA athletics HQ.

There has to be a bit of self awareness here hey. I totally get why the broncos are hated for their part in the super league war, which was much longer ago, but that hate is valid, and I expect it to be spoken about because it is part of this sports history.

Melbourne have brought a huge scam, wrestling and dangerous tackles to the game, so we will talk about it, and that is fine .

The Eels were smacked with a feather by the NRL for their cheating. Who did they have to get rid of. And all nrl fans ignore the fact .

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
It’s not the verses that are offensive.

However, even as a Church-going Catholic, I can’t remember an occasion where I walked into work with Bible verses taped to my uniform and shared them with my patients who might not necessarily be Christian.

So Why should the National Rugby League be any different?
You can't punch on with your patients and get a 10 minute timeout either. The NRL isn't the usual office environment. Post try celebrations are part of the game and as long as players aren't being offensive, intolerant or supporting stabby merkins I don't have a problem with it.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Jealousy is such an ugly emotion
Jealousy? Mate, it's fact. Why would a struggling business assist an extremely successful competitor by sending over staff to cover temporary shortfalls in the successful company?

How does that make sense?

Accusing a fan of said club of jealousy when they're asking the club they've been a member of almost since it's foundation for an explanation as to how this benefits said struggling team to assist their wildly successful opposition isn't jealousy.

It's an entirely reasonable question that deserves a decent answer - an answer that simply hasn't been forthcoming.

What a strange attempt at a response. If the Wests Tigers rolled up and said that they're having issues with the halves (shocking, I know, but stick with me here) and they'd like to borrow Munster for a few months to fill in the gaps, the storm would give the obvious answer of no.

Latest posts